Quantcast
UCP supporters why you so silent? - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP supporters why you so silent?

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also interesting tidbit. Wonder if ATB being dowgraded fill affect investments in smaller startups. I know ATB tries to push their incubator program really hard.
    I know the program I was using is no longer funded. A lot of the alberta innovates and atb pages linked have started 404'ing in the last month.

Probably like the subsidized housing programs they defunded - will be reviewed, maybe new programs next year.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    They don't just hand out promotions at my work either. All I'm saying is that's what the teachers I know have done. If you want to excel, there's a path to do so if you're proactive enough to look out for opportunities. If you sit on your ass and just do your job and expect to make top dollar, that's not going to happen as a teacher or anywhere else. Maybe at AHS I guess? lol

I like how you cherry picked the only 2 leadership positions that requires experience (AP with 7 years teaching and Principals with 7 years teaching + 3 years AP). All the other leadership positions are fair game if you have leadership qualities and opportunity arises. And you call me dishonest. At the end of the day, you're bitching about teachers not getting paid well enough at $80k at the lowest grid spot after 5 years. Tell that to the rest of average Canada who earns $35k per person and $80k as a family.
    Across Alberta, the median after-tax income was $70,200 in 2016.

So there is that.

You are still dishonestly overstating the availability and number of these positions. They are a minority. Even learning leaders, which only pays about $2200 extra a year is a roughly 1 in 8 teacher job, depending on school budget, and is based on skill and seniority. I chose AP and Principal because they are the two allowances available to ALL schools, therefore most common. The rest are discretionary.

Now, go back to google, and do some more superficial research to support your dishonesty.
    Last edited by 04Terminator; 12-04-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Haha a friend of my wifes takes at least 2 weeks of sick days off a year ( we know for a fact because my wife usually subs for her ), she recently took 2 months off mental health leave because she was sad about giving her dog up for adoption. Fully paid. She was supposed to go back to work next week but the CBE thought it was so close to Christmas she should just take the rest of December off.

One time she had my wife sub for her only to show up at our place for a party that evening.

If teaching is such an obviously under appreciated underpaid overworked grind then why does UofC (just one degree granting institution in this province) have enough interest that they issue 13% of their degrees annually in education. Almost 1000 a year. More than engineering.

Hint. Because in Alberta it’s a god damn lifetime gravy train of a job for the mediocre.
    You are lying. I just hecked the 2019 convocations in education at the U of C, and there were right around 400 that graduated with Bachelor's in Education.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    They should take a play out of the ndp book which starts with throwing billions of dollars away and ridiculous ideas.
    Like throwing 4.7 billion away in cuts without job creation mandates? or 1.5 billion dismantling the ship by rail program?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Not sure where your partner works, but my friends that are teachers do get 3 months off, plus the same extended holidays the kids get. (Maybe minus a day or two of paperwork) In any job Ive ever worked there was always a bit of overtime and no extra pay, it was just expected that you had to put in the extra effort.. for a similar level of education and rate of pay as you mention above.. only difference being that pay was for working an entire 12 month period.
    Edmonton Public School Board. Kids are in school 10 months out of the year so not sure what schools give teachers 3 months off but good try. And a "day or two of paperwork" validates that you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by kobe tai View Post
    Like throwing 4.7 billion away in cuts without job creation mandates? or 1.5 billion dismantling the ship by rail program?

- - - Updated - - -

Edmonton Public School Board. Kids are in school 10 months out of the year so not sure what schools give teachers 3 months off but good try. And a "day or two of paperwork" validates that you don't know what you are talking about.
    Someone hit a soft spot. This guy needs a tissue

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    Across Alberta, the median after-tax income was $70,200 in 2016.

So there is that.

You are still dishonestly overstating the availability and number of these positions. They are a minority. Even learning leaders, which only pays about $2200 extra a year is a roughly 1 in 8 teacher job, depending on school budget, and is based on skill and seniority. I chose AP and Principal because they are the two allowances available to ALL schools, therefore most common. The rest are discretionary.

Now, go back to google, and do some more superficial research to support your dishonesty.
    What a pleb. Facts thrown in your face and that's your pathetic response. And you edit every one of your comments likely due to your stupidity.

Like I said before that you ignored, other than bitching and moaning with no solution like a true beta liberal whiner, what is your proposed solution to people wanting more efficiencies in public services vs never cutting budgets or ever looking at finding a better way to do things?

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by ickyflex View Post
    Clarifying something that is basic knowledge for the non-retarded segment of the population means he needs a tissue? Fuck off lol

Haha a friend of my wifes takes at least 2 weeks of sick days off a year ( we know for a fact because my wife usually subs for her ), she recently took 2 months off mental health leave because she was sad about giving her dog up for adoption. Fully paid. She was supposed to go back to work next week but the CBE thought it was so close to Christmas she should just take the rest of December off.

One time she had my wife sub for her only to show up at our place for a party that evening.

If teaching is such an obviously under appreciated underpaid overworked grind then why does UofC (just one degree granting institution in this province) have enough interest that they issue 13% of their degrees annually in education. Almost 1000 a year. More than engineering.

Hint. Because in Alberta it’s a god damn lifetime gravy train of a job for the mediocre.
    Your wife's friend is a lazy cunt then. I don't even see how that is possible as she would never keep up with the amount of work that is required by taking this time off. My wife teaches and we have numerous teacher friends, and they need all the time they can get to have the classrooms in order to keep up with the class sizes they have. At my wife's school the teachers are in at least one day on the weekend catching up and I am lucky if she is home by dinner time on the weekdays.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Ya know, I'm no expert on how to set "fair" salaries or total compensation for any job, but you know who is? The market. There are no shortage of smart, informed and motivated individuals who want to be teachers. The compensation is well known and understood by these people, so I guess the compensation is either "exactly right" or maybe a little higher than that. The fact that teachers are not underpaid is excellent news! It also means there doesn't need to be a rush to raise their salaries, which again, is GREAT NEWS!!
    Don't worry. They have been on a pay freeze for years and don't expect to get any raises.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Your wife's friend is a lazy cunt then. I don't even see how that is possible as she would never keep up with the amount of work that is required by taking this time off. My wife teaches and we have numerous teacher friends, and they need all the time they can get to have the classrooms in order to keep up with the class sizes they have. At my wife's school the teachers are in at least one day on the weekend catching up and I am lucky if she is home by dinner time on the weekdays.
    It's not that these people don't know what is involved. its that they are lying about KNOWING what is involved, workload, salaries, chances for "bonuses" lol.

Teacher and Nurse hate is profound here. Amazing. Been an oil and gas guy my whole life, chose it out of easy money, but I can't think of 2 more selfless jobs, I wish I could be that guy to devote that much, for so little, and then be spit on.

"Basic bitch of a teacher". I still can't believe it.
    Last edited by 04Terminator; 12-04-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

Quote Originally Posted by ickyflex View Post
    Congrats on your great contribution. Did someone help you with that?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You are lying. I just hecked the 2019 convocations in education at the U of C, and there were right around 400 that graduated with Bachelor's in Education.
    No I am not you just have a massive problem with facts that don’t reinforce your preconceived agenda. Fun fact, there are more than one convocation granting education degrees in a given year. These are the most recent official statistics reported by the university.

Name:  8FF23F22-38D9-42B6-AF9F-4DD2FDB674A2.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  54.4 KB

https://oia.ucalgary.ca/files/oia/20...nd-faculty.pdf

Idiot.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Audi

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    The CBE capital budget isn't really economics driven, it's service driven. As much as it would make economic sense to not build new schools right now, not having adequate space for education of children is one of those things people get all antsy about. Most of the budget is in building new schools, that doesn't reduce operations cost. There are incompetent people responsible, but they're generally the sprawl-friendly councilors who have encouraged inefficient building to provide service. They could upgrade schools to handle the new students, but then they need to spend money getting students to the schools which will also increase operating costs (I can't imagine they'd get Ministerial approval to scrap service standards to allow the passing of those costs completely to parents).

But regardless, all these changes are for 2020-23 Capital Plans to try and save money for a budget made in 2019. It literally isn't something they can do to avoid cutting operating costs this year. That's why I singled it out. It isn't responsible, it's not possible. I was also going to point out that cutting maintenance costs isn't responsible either, it's what a manager who plans on leaving in a few years does because they know they won't have to deal with the results. But telling somebody in the middle of their budget they can review their future capital plan to save costs for this budget cycle is just the sign that somebody who doesn't have a clue of what's going on is trying to give them advice.

Yeah, letting people go via attrition is something that never happens in the private or public sector when there's a budget crunch.
    Oh I get it, because in a list of general things that anyone with a budget does when they are faced with in year budget restrictions (it's not even mid year, it's 1 quarter in), you cherry picked 1 item that you believe isn't going to work, and then use it to say I don't know what i'm talking about. I'm not going to take that bait anymore because it doesn't change my premise. Fundamentally, the people who provide the money should always test the credibility of budget holders to confirm they're spending the money in the best way possible. If you're handing someone $1.2B, they should be accountable for how they spend it.

So do believe the CBE is justified then in letting go 300 FTE's, without a reduction in administration or anywhere else, because the UCP required they find a 2% reduction in their operating budget and only had a month to figure it out? I don't, and that's what i'm getting at.

Edit: for the record, I think it's not appropriate with how the government held back on approving a budget or not signaling what the CBE should be expecting in advance. This doesn't change the lack of credibility in the CBE's ability to understand their finances.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'd be interested to see your proposal to manage the fiscal constraints and incompetence (to whatever degree it exists) at the CBE. I'm always dubious when people complain about others' solutions to problems without proposing an alternative solution. Most of what you do here is throw stones. I don't see you as a builder.
    I would not renew the contracts of temp teachers to reduce staffing costs. After the temps are gone, have the schools go with some old Coleco computers and drive that minor equipment budget down, switch to malk, squeeze more meat out of the gym mats (you know, the magical efficiencies).

For longer term savings, as much as I'd love to scrap the transportation subsidies it's the province sets the distance people can't be charged for transportation, but don't give enough money to cover that transportation. So a $45M+ burden put on CBE, exacerbated by crappy city planning. 40km worth of separated cycle tracks could be built each year with that money, allowing more kids to bike to school. Would also allow holding off on building new schools and pushing that money to expanding existing ones. Alas, my dreams for showing people the true costs of sprawl are limited.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

No I am not you just have a massive problem with facts that don’t reinforce your preconceived agenda. Fun fact, there are more than one convocation granting education degrees in a given year. These are the most recent official statistics reported by the university.

Name:  8FF23F22-38D9-42B6-AF9F-4DD2FDB674A2.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  54.4 KB

https://oia.ucalgary.ca/files/oia/20...nd-faculty.pdf

Idiot.
    2017 was different then. I literally called the faculty, and that 400 was 2019. They only accepted 500 into the faculty this year.

I don't have a massive problem with facts, as I have no preconceived notions. But I have an astute ability to dig through obvious BS.

Edit.... Oh, maybe you are confused in that Werklund does not grant "teaching licenses", but rather various degrees in education, some of which are masters, PHD's, upgrading, faculty, research. Graduating from there is not a "to be a teacher only" thing.
    Last edited by 04Terminator; 12-04-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea she totally is lol, but the system is totally setup to enable and protect that behaviour. I could call her principal up and report her and nothing would happen. Ever. That’s just reality.

As for working every Saturday sorry bud but I have to call BS, maybe that happened once in a blue moon to finish report cards but regular working weekends that is straight fake news.

My wife did the job for years while working a second job another 10-20 hours a week. She was busy, but you make it sound like teaching is investment banking. It’s not.

Honestly even taking a fraction of what you say your wife sounds like a great teacher dedicated to the job. That’s pretty awesome. But system wide for every one of her there are many who do sfa and coast 10 months of the year into their 2 month summer off.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

My wife teaches and we have numerous teacher friends, and they need all the time they can get to have the classrooms in order to keep up with the class sizes they have. At my wife's school the teachers are in at least one day on the weekend catching up and I am lucky if she is home by dinner time on the weekdays.
    My SIL is a teacher (grade 7 I believe) and everything she tells us about it mirrors what you have said. Teaching sounds like a fuck ton of work that takes up way more than the hours you're paid for.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Yea she totally is lol, but the system is totally setup to enable and protect that behaviour. I could call her principal up and report her and nothing would happen. Ever. That’s just reality.

As for working every Saturday sorry bud but I have to call BS, maybe that happened once in a blue moon to finish report cards but regular working weekends that is straight fake news.

My wife did the job for years while working a second job another 10-20 hours a week. She was busy, but you make it sound like teaching is investment banking. It’s not.

Honestly even taking a fraction of what you say your wife sounds like a great teacher dedicated to the job. That’s pretty awesome. But system wide for every one of her there are many who do sfa and coast 10 months of the year into their 2 month summer off.
    You are still lying. Every teacher we know, or friends of teachers we know, works weekends and puts in before and after class time.

I'm sure there are slackers, but they are as rare as Rage's $140k a year teachers. Your dishonesty is sickening.
    Last edited by 04Terminator; 12-04-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

2017 was different then. I literally called the faculty, and that 400 was 2019. They only accepted 500 into the faculty this year.

I don't have a massive problem with facts, as I have no preconceived notions. But I have an astute ability to dig through obvious BS.

Edit.... Oh, maybe you are confused in that Werklund does not grant "teaching licenses", but rather various degrees in education, some of which are masters, PHD's, upgrading, faculty, research. Graduating from there is not a "to be a teacher only" thing.
    Found 2018 for you, number was actually up to 1,200 education degrees granted. Shucks.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/u...L/Introduction
    Name:  71E7C937-4F00-489E-962A-B6EA63298246.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  28.9 KB

Screen shot from tableau, easily verifiable from the link I sent.

Might want to call the faculty again as ask how many degrees TOTAL were granted in 2019, cause your number reeks of being just from June convocation and Either Jan or Fall admittance. Cause either they magically cut the program in half for this year (probably a good idea) or you are just completely out of left field.

That tableau is very convenient, showing the number of degrees granted going up every year that they have data in there for the past 5 years.

What a rough program it must be.
    Last edited by killramos; 12-04-2019 at 12:20 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    ute

I think it's an exposure, point of reference thing.

I'm sure most teachers would be blown away job shadowing a person in the private sector with high responsibility high stress jobs.
    They just don't have a perspective on what people are actually doing out there.
    Especially in July.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast