Quantcast
Quality Calgary small business - Get your knives sharpened - Cal-Don Sharpening - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Quality Calgary small business - Get your knives sharpened - Cal-Don Sharpening

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Quality Calgary small business - Get your knives sharpened - Cal-Don Sharpening

I'm not affiliated with this company, but I thought I'd give them a shout out. Mods let me know if this isn't allowed.

Went to Cal-Don sharpening recently to have some kitchen knives sharpened. I usually sharpen at home, but over time, two of my knives have gotten chipped, and the others weren't sharpening up like they used to, so I thought a professional touch was required.
    Cal-Don sharpened 3 large and 2 small kitchen knives, and after tax, the cost was under $30. Nice guy at the counter. Plus the knives are great, and the small nicks have been removed.
    I understand they do chainsaws, garden tools, tablesaw blades and pretty much anything that can be sharpened.
    They are located at 226 39 Ave NE, Calgary, and google maps has no trouble directing you to them. Nice local small business with reasonable prices and good service.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Do they sharpen them while you wait or do you have to come back in a few days and pick them up? I can't find anything local to me so I'd prefer one trip when it's time to sharpen the knives.

I've been going there for well over a decade to get blades sharpened. They're very reasonable and will weld on new carbide teeth if they spot a bad one. Hole saws, they do those by hand.

The original owner recently retired and now its his daughter and an associate that have taken over the business, same great service as always.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    Do they sharpen them while you wait or do you have to come back in a few days and pick them up? I can't find anything local to me so I'd prefer one trip when it's time to sharpen the knives.
    Call them to find out.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    I dropped off late Friday afternoon and they were ready Monday lunchtime. I don't think they normally do a "while-you-wait" kind of service. I think if you dropped off in the morning they would be ready that same day usually.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Sweet, i'll have to keep this in mind in the spring to get the chainsaws and axes sharpened for firewood season
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I went to a place on Mcleod at the recommendation of a chef friend of ours and it was terrible. They completely changed the shape of a few of our blades and fucked up a pocket knife I had them do, plus the overall experience was super sketchy and unpleasant. I will definitely give these guys a try before Christmas here to get everything ready for the big meals and maybe get a table saw blade done that I've been sitting on for a while. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    I went to a place on Mcleod at the recommendation of a chef friend of ours and it was terrible. They completely changed the shape of a few of our blades and fucked up a pocket knife I had them do, plus the overall experience was super sketchy and unpleasant. I will definitely give these guys a try before Christmas here to get everything ready for the big meals and maybe get a table saw blade done that I've been sitting on for a while. Thanks for the recommendation!
    I took a 12" miter saw blade to them that someone threw out at a job site, I took it to them as a joke because the blade's teeth were so badly chipped/chewed up.

They looked at it and told me it was a $230+ blade and was quite fixable, 4 days later and about $27 out of my pocket and I had another great blade to add to my inventory.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I sharpen my own kitchen knives but have used knifewear in the past. They do a great job but are a lot more expensive.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone looking to support a small business through this virus bullshit, Cal-Don is doing non-contact drop off:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal-Don Sharpening facebook page
    Cal-Don Sharpening

Just reaching out to say that we are open for business during this stressful time. As a small business we have little choice! We also truly understand and commend you if you are isolating during the COVID 19 situation.

This is normally our busy time of the year, the same green stuff will come up from the ground and the same tools will need to be serviced. If you need something sharp we are open shortened hours of 9-2 M-F. (any longer we would fall asleep,haha). If we have more work we will gladly work longer hours to get it done for you. You can count on us.

To ease yours and our virus transmission concerns we have set up a NON CONTACT drop table outside our shop to service our customers, (YOU). Our top priority is to keep both you and us at Cal-Don completely safe. We want to do our part to help end this crap and still be around to service your needs when its over. Contact us for details. We appreciate and need your business.

Thank you and remain safe ! Mike and Cheryl and our families

Question, would professional sharpening of a shitty knife be worth it? To be specific, i have a Cuisinart knife block (around $150 cost 5 years ago) that came with about 16 knives (10 steak knives + 6 other knives)

The bread knife is a piece of shit, so if sharpening can make it decent then i would do that. But if not then i'll just save the money and buy a better one.

thoughts?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think it's worth it. Just be aware bread knives cost more than chefs knives because they take more effort. I think $12 for bread knives.
    But a cheap knife will feel like a much better knife after a professional Sharpening. For a while at least.

I think it's worth it. Just be aware bread knives cost more than chefs knives because they take more effort. I think $12 for bread knives.
    But a cheap knife will feel like a much better knife after a professional Sharpening. For a while at least.
    12 bucks isn't too bad, I'll give it a shot. thx.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Yes on latter part.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We had our big Henkels bread knife done, and even though that was a pretty expensive knife, I think the sharpness from Cal-don is better than factory. Makes such a difference working with sharp blades.

My Ride
    Exploded.

We had our big Henkels bread knife done, and even though that was a pretty expensive knife, I think the sharpness from Cal-don is better than factory. Makes such a difference working with sharp blades.
    It really does. I'm going to check them out because my cleaver and scimitar need some TLC.

My Ride
    ute

They look like they only do industrial stuff? Should I be bringing in my fancy japanese knives?

They sharpen pretty much anything including knives. Some trade guys I know will get their brand new blades sharpened, it's been quite a while since I've bought any blades, Cal Don keeps them sharp and replace broken/chipped teeth.

My Ride
    Trucks

I wonder if a 14” carbide chopsaw blade is worth sharpening? (as compared to a new $300 Japanese blade). I go through one 3 or 4 times a year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'd just call them and ask prices both for the carbide saw blade and for the Japanese knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I wonder if a 14” carbide chopsaw blade is worth sharpening? (as compared to a new $300 Japanese blade). I go through one 3 or 4 times a year.
    Yupp, you'll easily be able to get it sharpened 5-7 times before you'll have to replace a blade. Funny thing that I know trades people who just buy new blades when their old ones get dull or have chipped/ teeth - they didn't even realize they could get them sharpened and fixed. Some of my miter and table saw blades are easily on their 4 or 5th sharpen already and they've still got lots to go yet. I've had a hole saw sharpened as well by Cal Don, they'll also sharpen the expensive carbide tipped countersinks although I find that mine are usually too chipped from crud in the stuff I work with.
    Last edited by speedog; 04-23-2020 at 06:25 PM.