Quantcast
AHS/healthcare system debacles - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: AHS/healthcare system debacles

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Both my kids were born at home in the bathtub. Hospitals are for chumps. (or for people with risk factors that we did not have...)
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    A palatable alternate has not been found.
    I'm pretty good with unpalatable ones

- - - Updated - - -

Both my kids were born at home in the bathtub. Hospitals are for chumps. (or for people with risk factors that we did not have...)
    I'm glad it worked out but I never would do that

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    Cause we emailed them your moronic ignorant diarrhea you spread.
    You poor unhealthy man, full of so much hate. I don't even do Christmas but I'll wish you a merry one this year.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'm glad it worked out but I never would do that
    If you want a serious talk about it, we can take it elsewhere. You are a man of statistics, I think.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

We had ours at home as well, if you are low risk it's well worth it. Especially for a February birth when there's a raging snow storm outside.

My Ride
    ute

If you want a serious talk about it, we can take it elsewhere. You are a man of statistics, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    We had ours at home as well, if you are low risk it's well worth it. Especially for a February birth when there's a raging snow storm outside.
    I was careful to not say that it is wrong or that people shouldn't do it. I was saying that I myself wouldn't do it.

There is a big difference between low probability and low consequence. You have to combine those two factors to determine risk. It's why we wear seatbelts. In more than 25 years of driving I have never been involved in an accident that would have required a seatbelt to avoid harm. And yet I put on a seatbelt every time I get into a car. Having a child in a hospital (with or without a midwife) is a low-cost defense against a low probability but high consequence event.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My best friend’s wife is obsessed and hell bent on a home birth, they weren’t happy with me when I pointed out their their home was totally brain damage away from the hospital if something goes wrong.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just to be clear, it's not completely up to the parents. Midwives only do home births for the lowest of the low risk deliveries. Distance to hospital and emergency care is certainly a factor.

- - - Updated - - -

You dudes want a separate midwife/home birth mega thread? Hahahhaha. Merry Christmas!

Wait a hot wives thread? Merry Christmas!

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    You poor unhealthy man, full of so much hate. I don't even do Christmas but I'll wish you a merry one this year.
    What's wrong muffin?? Wouldn't tell the people caring for you or a family member how worthless you think their profession or dedication is?

Not gonna tell em how pissed you are that you pay their salary? Lol

I don't celebrate religious holidays either so don't feel obligated to send your empty greetings.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Why are we paying for people to abuse or misuse the system?
    Well, AHS is extremely risk averse. I would say moreso than other health care systems (look to the UK and Australia for the campaigns to keep people away from ER's, stop calling EMS, etc). Its been stated in the past that a user fee was not desired because they wouldn't want that one person who needs assistance to choose not to because they could not pay or did not want to pay. So they treat everyone who comes in the door regardless of complaint, no turnaway, no alternate diversion (officially, it does happen unofficially by means of encouragement), and as a result the system is inundated with minor complaints.

BCAS started a neat system I'd like to see implemented here where they have a system similar to 811 integrated into the 911 dispatch center (except staffed by Paramedics not Nurses), whereas they will attempt on a number of the calls to avoid sending an ambulance if its not necessary, instead providing advice and direction. Lots of people call often just wanting advice or opinions or an assessment, which is kind of not the point of the system either, but its a billable service so really people can do whatever they like with it, right or wrong. So many of the calls to 911 are nearly unbelievably absurd.

We were one of the first locations to ever transport to alternate destinations, back before it was considered acceptable we would transport to the 8th and 8th clinic. That was not oversight sanctioned, it was not payable as a transport by any insurance, so EMS ate the cost on those to help reduce hospital loads. That evolved into what is now the urgent care centers and we transport there and are encouraged to do so for anything not ER worthy.

We also have the MIH program now, which does alot of in home lower acuity treatment with an enhanced diagnostic capability, suited more to seniors and palliative patients but every bit keeping the calls off 911 helps.

The amount of times and duration of time that there have been no ambulances available in the past 10 or so days is staggering. I dare say the wheels are falling off.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post

BCAS started a neat system I'd like to see implemented here where they have a system similar to 811 integrated into the 911 dispatch center (except staffed by Paramedics not Nurses),
    Wouldn't that be Healthlink?

But they're pretty useless given usually telling you to seek immediate medical attention...

I wish they'd deal with the reserve transport issue. I know one crew that'll tell ya which "patients" they'll be transporting which day. Really just a free (to them) taxi ride. Claim some condition, free ride to hospital, half the time nope the eff out before even being seen.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    Well, AHS is extremely risk averse. I would say moreso than other health care systems (look to the UK and Australia for the campaigns to keep people away from ER's, stop calling EMS, etc). Its been stated in the past that a user fee was not desired because they wouldn't want that one person who needs assistance to choose not to because they could not pay or did not want to pay. So they treat everyone who comes in the door regardless of complaint, no turnaway, no alternate diversion (officially, it does happen unofficially by means of encouragement), and as a result the system is inundated with minor complaints.

BCAS started a neat system I'd like to see implemented here where they have a system similar to 811 integrated into the 911 dispatch center (except staffed by Paramedics not Nurses), whereas they will attempt on a number of the calls to avoid sending an ambulance if its not necessary, instead providing advice and direction. Lots of people call often just wanting advice or opinions or an assessment, which is kind of not the point of the system either, but its a billable service so really people can do whatever they like with it, right or wrong. So many of the calls to 911 are nearly unbelievably absurd.

We were one of the first locations to ever transport to alternate destinations, back before it was considered acceptable we would transport to the 8th and 8th clinic. That was not oversight sanctioned, it was not payable as a transport by any insurance, so EMS ate the cost on those to help reduce hospital loads. That evolved into what is now the urgent care centers and we transport there and are encouraged to do so for anything not ER worthy.

We also have the MIH program now, which does alot of in home lower acuity treatment with an enhanced diagnostic capability, suited more to seniors and palliative patients but every bit keeping the calls off 911 helps.

The amount of times and duration of time that there have been no ambulances available in the past 10 or so days is staggering. I dare say the wheels are falling off.
    As s society we need to start considering that for the greater good, we will need to accept for uncomfortable compromises. Abusers will need to be identified and see their services reduced. This will result in the deaths of abusers when they actually need help. But that's the price we will pay as a society, and we should be fine with it. Perhaps Canada should start billing First Nations bands directly when their members abuse the system. (I presume I am not mistaken when I make the assumption that a disproportionate amount of abuse comes from First Nations people.)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Health link often reccomend visiting the nearest emergency department for minor things. They are incredibly frustrating. I stopped calling them.

My Ride
    ute

ya, healthlink is useless. Probably just a way to employ nurses that aren't actually doing any nursing.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Healthlink Standard Operating Procedure:

“Sorry we can’t help you with that over the phone, please go to an ER”
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

then....

"Hey Lorraine, are we getting OT for this?"

My Ride
    4x4

Very true... The little one couldn't kick a flu bug that went through the house - fever kept coming and going...

Healthlink useless. Attend emergency or urgent care.

We hit a walk-in clinic 10mins later ear infection and out the door with script for antibiotics.

I can still phone 911 if I've burnt my steaks though, right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

As s society we need to start considering that for the greater good, we will need to accept for uncomfortable compromises. Abusers will need to be identified and see their services reduced. This will result in the deaths of abusers when they actually need help. But that's the price we will pay as a society, and we should be fine with it. Perhaps Canada should start billing First Nations bands directly when their members abuse the system. (I presume I am not mistaken when I make the assumption that a disproportionate amount of abuse comes from First Nations people.)
    No, the abusers come from all walks of life - but the crackheads/methheads are probably the biggest drain right now. I dont understand why they keep on getting revived on multiple occasions, refuse help etc., when they have such a short life expectancy anyway.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast