Quantcast
Dogs. Starting to look at options.... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs. Starting to look at options....

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Default Dogs. Starting to look at options....

So my English Bulldog passed away mid November at the age of 11 and I have started to look at getting another dog, but unsure of what breed. As much as I loved my Bulldog, my Wife has strongly suggested something that doesnt drool, shed or fart.. and may be easier for our kids to walk. (now 5 & 7) As for me, I just want something medium sized and up and it would be nice if it was a breed that was more active that we could do things with. We have a decent sized backyard, live close to a few off leash areas and pathways and around water in the summer..

I have looked a bit at various doodle breeds (Bernedoodle, Sheepadoodle, Aussie Doodle etc), love the look of Blue Heelers (but have been strongly suggested to skip) and looking for any other ideas. Not completely against the adoption route, but would certainly prefer a puppy with known background.

Some basic wants:
    -Non-Shedding or low shedding
    -Non-drooling
    -Over 40lbs, not some little yippy mutt
    -Active (Or not.. always will have a soft spot for bulldogs)

Any suggestions?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Not a bad tool to give you a general list to look over:

https://www.iams.com/breedselector/

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Rescue! We went through Aarcs for ours. https://aarcs.ca/adoptable-dogs/
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    06 S2000

I just adopted a second dog via Aarcs. Would recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have never met a well behaved dog ending in “oodle”. Just my anecdotal opinion, what I take away from that is they they are challenging breeds to train well. They are incredibly smart and prone to defiance.

I struggle to think of non shedders that I have known to be reasonable personally.

I’d rather clean up the hair than pull out my own dealing one haha.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Doodles are fucking nuts, even the guy that bred the first says he developed a frankenstein.. Every doodle ive met is either full on stupid, or psycho. An aussiedoodle sounds like the ultimate madman..

"Mr. Conron’s comments rankled. But perhaps the line that cut the most was this:
    “I find that the biggest majority are either crazy or have a hereditary problem,” he said."

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Not completely against the adoption route, but would certainly prefer a puppy with known background.
    We got our mutt (lab/husky/shepherd/something from the rez mix) at 10 weeks from the humane society. She's been great.. 6 years, no health issues, super sweet. I'd never go to a breeder based on my familys experience with them, just know that you have to be willing to pull the trigger immediately for a puppy from an adoption place as they go super fast. A breeders 'known' background is hardly something i'd rely on..

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    So my English Bulldog passed away mid November at the age of 11 and I have started to look at getting another dog, but unsure of what breed. As much as I loved my Bulldog, my Wife has strongly suggested something that doesnt drool, shed or fart.. and may be easier for our kids to walk. (now 5 & 7) As for me, I just want something medium sized and up and it would be nice if it was a breed that was more active that we could do things with. We have a decent sized backyard, live close to a few off leash areas and pathways and around water in the summer..

I have looked a bit at various doodle breeds (Bernedoodle, Sheepadoodle, Aussie Doodle etc), love the look of Blue Heelers (but have been strongly suggested to skip) and looking for any other ideas. Not completely against the adoption route, but would certainly prefer a puppy with known background.

Some basic wants:
    -Non-Shedding or low shedding
    -Non-drooling
    -Over 40lbs, not some little yippy mutt
    -Active (Or not.. always will have a soft spot for bulldogs)

Any suggestions?
    Every dog sheds so your not going to find that. Only select dogs drool and over 40lbs?

I'd look towards a lab with your recommendations.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I love my mini schnauzer and has great temperament. I don't know much about them but you can get giant schnauzers that are in the 50-80lb range, would still be hypoallergenic so no shedding.

Edit:
    https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/giant-schnauzer#/slide/1

- Almost no shedding
    - Almost no drooling
    - 40+ lbs
    - Very intelligent so easy to train
    - Very active dog and can go on hikes and longer distances

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Even if you manage to find a reputable doodle breeder (good luck), you're still rolling the dice on what you wind up with regardless of what you're told. With wanting a known background on a puppy and some certainty in what you get, you can safely ignore any doodle breeder though. A bernedoodle isn't guaranteed to not get huge, an aussiedoodle isn't guaranteed not to shed heaps and develop issues if you don't do a ton of training and give it a job.

I'd go on r/dogs and fill out their breed questionnaire. You'll get a ton of advice from people and tips on how to find a good breeder if you go that route. I'd personally look into standard poodles if I was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    A breeders 'known' background is hardly something i'd rely on..
    A good, reputable breeder will have background information that can be relied on. Keep in mind, these breeders don't have litters you can just call up and pick from, you're going to be vetted and put on a waiting list until one becomes available. You'll find they have health records on both parents, testing for hereditary issues and dogs that fail are not bred. You're not going to be able to reserve or request a color for them to come up with, you're not going to be able to pick from a bunch of litters every year and you'll probably be looking at a contract when you buy your puppy.
    Last edited by FraserB; 12-06-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

We currently have a 8 month old Border Collie. And while it has been a struggle at times he has been amazing. Currently in a little bit of a rebellious phase which might lead us to get him fixed earlier than we want...

They are a great family dog (had them growing up) and with the kids they help keep each other entertained.

My Ride
    VTAKK

Dogo Argentino?

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Wrong answer. Deleted
    Last edited by KPHMPH; 12-06-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    V8s

Slightly smaller than what you're looking for, but Cavalier king charles spaniel. We have one of those (x bichon), he's just over 30lb and he's great. Very smart, incredible disposition. Doesn't shed (like actually doesn't shed, yes folks it does exist. I find more of my wife's hair around the house than hair from him). Just big enough that you don't have to worry about hurting him, small enough that you don't have any of the difficulties related to owning big dogs.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Is there such a thing as a reputable breeder?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Of course. They are the ones that actually vet applicants and don’t just have a littler standing by to be picked up. They do health testing on the bitch and sire and ones that fail or show issues are spayed/neutered and not bred. They’ll do tests for hip dysplasia and other hereditary issues before breeding and only breed good dogs. Reputable breeding isn’t a massive money maker and unless you luck out and a breeder had a pup returned, you don’t get a puppy fast from a good one
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Of course. They are the ones that actually vet applicants and don’t just have a littler standing by to be picked up. They do health testing on the bitch and sire and ones that fail or show issues are spayed/neutered and not bred. They’ll do tests for hip dysplasia and other hereditary issues before breeding and only breed good dogs. Reputable breeding isn’t a massive money maker and unless you luck out and a breeder had a pup returned, you don’t get a puppy fast from a good one
    I'm not a dog guy, but it sounds like everyone I know has been using the other kind of breeder. Good to hear there are good ones out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I'm not a dog guy, but it sounds like everyone I know has been using the other kind of breeder. Good to hear there are good ones out there.
    With reputable breeders come insane prices. You don't generally find reputable breeders selling dogs for cheap.

My Ride
    fairlady tt

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    With reputable breeders come insane prices. You don't generally find reputable breeders selling dogs for cheap.
    The starting price point for a reputable breeder shouldnt be less then $1500 imo, depending on the breed and lineage that number can skyrocket fast.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I bought my puppy from a breeder that supplies dogs to CPS and the RCMP, so I am assuming they aren’t fucking around too much.

I received a whole book of my puppy’s lineage and medical tests etc. Pretty sure he is related to the queen at some point going back.

And you don’t want to know what these puppies cost.

That said one think that always helps is buying a mutt, more generic diversity is essentially always a good thing for dogs.
    Last edited by killramos; 12-06-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

My cousin has a Cavapoo and from his IG stories, shes adorable and well trained but only at the 6 month mark right now

I have a Havenese X Chihuahua, looks nothing like a Chihuahua but the size. Doesn't drool/shed or fart. But on the smaller size so not the medium 40lber your looking for
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast