Quantcast
Help me build a Non-Gaming PC on Black Friday ~$500 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help me build a Non-Gaming PC on Black Friday ~$500

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Default Help me build a Non-Gaming PC on Black Friday ~$500

Hi All,

Wondering if I could get some guidance. After about 10 years I decided it is finally time to move on from my I7-920 build.

I figured this Black Friday was the time to get a new computer.

My purpose is relatively simple: Productivity and Media Playback. I have my computer connected via HDMI to my 4K TV, and also to a monitor. I do like to get into some bigger heavy spreadsheets on the productivity side and have been dabbling with R, so some help on that end would be great. I don't game, nor see myself gaming in the future.

I would like to center the build around a Ryzen 2700 which I think I can get for ~180, and offers the best bang for buck out there from what I can see. I am hoping to get a Case/Video Card/Mobo/Smaller SSD for ~400.

Just wondering if someone could set me straight on what I should be looking for or any deals that they have come across to help me with my build.

Thanks in advance for any feedback
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

I don't know if you can do it for $500 without REALLY cutting some corners, but you can get close. What's painful is that if you absolutely have to stay under $500, you end up sacrificing massive improvements that only cost a few dollars. For example, going from 8GB to 16GB of RAM is around $30 with good RAM. You also end up having to cheap out in some of the most important areas like the PSU. The biggest problem of all though is that windows is $130 unless you buy an eBay key or find some other solution. I will assume that can be extra, or you're OK with buying a $10 eBay key.

As for the Ryzen 2700X, the problem is it has no onboard GPU, so you would have to purchase a discrete GPU which means no way are you going to hit the $500 budget, and by the sounds of it you don't need one. It's also last year's tech, and the 3000X series is a pretty huge step up from the 2000X series due to the 7nm Zen2 core.

What I would suggest is either a Ryzen 3200G or 3400G, both being 4 cores but the latter having 8 threads and a better integrated GPU. They are the same price as last year's 2200/2400g but with some nice improvements for media playback (such as native HDCP 2.2 support). Here you get AMD's current tech along with a rather excellent iGPU (though they are still 12nm). If you absolutely need 6+ cores though, you have to add a discrete GPU to your budget, and honestly the only entry level GPUs barely worth buying just for the sake of having a GPU are still going to run you around $130 - that will have roughly the same performance as the iGPU in the 3400G. A 2700X costs more than a 3400G, which includes a GPU. I think that is key to staying around $500. The integrated GPUs share system RAM, so you will want a bit more of it and to be as fast as possible within budget.

You don't mention storage requirements beyond the OS drive, but that's an easy/cheap problem to solve at any point down the road.

This is what I would get, or some very similar version of it as I didn't have time to check some very specific things. I basically gave you a crappy case so you could have a good PSU and 16GB of RAM.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hXtJMc
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-25-2019 at 11:37 PM.

I'd consider go higher end on the monitor. Assuming that Stadia will get competition from Amazon next year, the only thing you will really need in a computer is the ability to decode 4K streams in realtime with low latency. So technically a cheap PC may be able to do gaming very soon.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Thanks for the comments guys. Mitsu, I need to buy you a beer here sometime soon!

Agreed, I don't really need to skimp too much, again, if its a big impact thing I don't mind spending on it. Back in 2009, I bought some higher spec components and it really lasted the test of time.

In terms of Windows - I have a key that I can re-use, so good on that end, as with the Hard Drive, I have a storage 3TB that I can likely reuse. I think you hit the nail on the head though in terms of the GPU, Thats the part I am struggling with. I don't game, but at the same time don't want to canibalize the processor by running without one. My current graphics card cost me $50 back in 09 and works for the general purpose, I was thinking I could do something along the same. Thanks for picking out the parts for me, I will work on that guidence when I do some shopping end of this week and report back.

Monitor, I have one that I will likely recycle until my space has capacity for something a bit hgiher end. Interesting on the Stadia thing for sure though, That is something I will definitely explore once it becomes a bit more mainstream.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Idk if you'd be interested but I have a BNIB Ryzen 2400G and a ASRock AB350 Pro4 AM4 MOBO sitting in my office I've never opened. I bought it to upgrade my streaming HTPC but later ended up just migrating the harddrives into my gaming rig since it never shuts off anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for the comments guys. Mitsu, I need to buy you a beer here sometime soon!

Agreed, I don't really need to skimp too much, again, if its a big impact thing I don't mind spending on it. Back in 2009, I bought some higher spec components and it really lasted the test of time.

In terms of Windows - I have a key that I can re-use, so good on that end, as with the Hard Drive, I have a storage 3TB that I can likely reuse. I think you hit the nail on the head though in terms of the GPU, Thats the part I am struggling with. I don't game, but at the same time don't want to canibalize the processor by running without one. My current graphics card cost me $50 back in 09 and works for the general purpose, I was thinking I could do something along the same. Thanks for picking out the parts for me, I will work on that guidence when I do some shopping end of this week and report back.

Monitor, I have one that I will likely recycle until my space has capacity for something a bit hgiher end. Interesting on the Stadia thing for sure though, That is something I will definitely explore once it becomes a bit more mainstream.
    Happy to help.

Those components I selected are all good quality except that case, so if you upgraded anything, you could get a better case. You can get away without a case fan too I think, so you could build a really quiet PC. That CPU also comes with a pretty decent cooler (as do most Ryzens), so that saves you even more money. I used the micro-ATX form factor because it's super cheap, and you might like a PC with a really small footprint, but you could build it for similar cost in full sized ATX as well, and you would get a more feature-rich mobo out of the deal because they're bigger. You have some options.

Also if you aren't building it yourself, budget $40 or so for Memory Express to assemble/test the hardware. It's $70 if you want them to load the OS too. Not expensive, but again if you are trying to stay around $500 it becomes significant.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Thanks again for the tips guys... So it starts on Amazon!

I picked up the AMD 3600X because people on RFD were raving about what a good deal it was ($230), it appears to be the best value, and worth the extra $70 over the 2700 in spite of the reduced cores.

I also picked up Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit at $80 as it seemed to be a good deal looking historically.

Now to get the rest of it! Case, PS, Cheap Video Card, and Mobo.. here I come.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 11-28-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Thanks again for the tips guys... So it starts on Amazon!

I picked up the AMD 3600X because people on RFD were raving about what a good deal it was ($230), it appears to be the best value, and worth the extra $70 over the 2700 in spite of the reduced cores.

I also picked up Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit at $80 as it seemed to be a good deal looking historically.

Now to get the rest of it! Case, PS, Cheap Video Card, and Mobo.. here I come.
    3600X is a great CPU, though it sounds like you have abandoned your $500 budget haha. The cheapest GPU worth buying is probably a GTX 1050Ti 4GB (~$250). For another $100 you can get a 1660Ti. The built in Vega graphics had you got a 3400G are roughly equivalent to a GTX 1030 2GB ($130).

Ryzen loves fast RAM, so I would swap that 3000Mhz for at least 3200Mhz if possible, as the price is within $5 of what you already paid. The RAM I suggest you buy is in my build link, or you can buy 3200Mhz Trident Z Samsung B die (probably the best RAM) for $98 ($15 more) and even OC it if you want. Optimum RAM speed for Zen3 cores is 3733Mhz (1:1 ratio with Infinity Fabric up until that point) and AMD recommends 3466Mhz. 3200Mhz is best bang for the buck.

Careful with RFD - they rave about every deal and there is a ton of misinformation on there. A 3600X for $230 is good though.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-28-2019 at 10:37 AM.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    3600X is a great CPU, though it sounds like you have abandoned your $500 budget haha. The cheapest GPU worth buying is probably a GTX 1050Ti 4GB (~$250). For another $100 you can get a 1660Ti. The built in Vega graphics had you got a 3400G are roughly equivalent to a GTX 1030 2GB ($130).

Ryzen loves fast RAM, so I would swap that 3000Mhz for at least 3200Mhz if possible, as the price is within $5 of what you already paid. The RAM I suggest you buy is in my build link, or you can buy 3200Mhz Trident Z Samsung B die (probably the best RAM) for $98 ($15 more) and even OC it if you want. Optimum RAM speed for Zen3 cores is 3733Mhz (1:1 ratio with Infinity Fabric up until that point) and AMD recommends 3466Mhz. 3200Mhz is best bang for the buck.

Careful with RFD - they rave about every deal and there is a ton of misinformation on there. A 3600X for $230 is good though.
    Thanks Mistu, I ended up getting higher clock speed ram as per your recommendation.

The video card I am really struggling with... I don't game, spending that much on a card seems like overkill... will perculate on that one. I guess thats why you recommended the 3400g!

I am going back and fourth in my head if I should have got the 2700X instead seeing that I am going a bit more productivity minded in terms of a longer term solution.

Again, appreciate the support. I will get that Mobo likely tomorrow once I see what Memory Express has, seems to have good reviews and will work well for my purpose
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 11-28-2019 at 11:12 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I wouldn't bother with a GPU if you are just running 1 display at a time. Can always add a GPU later on as well.

Also, the one thing to not cheap out on is PSUs. Spend >$100 on that alone and you will have a 10 year system.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I wouldn't bother with a GPU if you are just running 1 display at a time. Can always add a GPU later on as well.
    He has to bother with a GPU because he bought a 3600X - they do not have integrated graphics. It's a better CPU than a 3400G but requires the addition of a discrete GPU.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-28-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks Mistu, I ended up getting higher clock speed ram as per your recommendation.

The video card I am really struggling with... I don't game, spending that much on a card seems like overkill... will perculate on that one. I guess thats why you recommended the 3400g!

I am going back and fourth in my head if I should have got the 2700X instead seeing that I am going a bit more productivity minded in terms of a longer term solution.

Again, appreciate the support. I will get that Mobo likely tomorrow once I see what Memory Express has, seems to have good reviews and will work well for my purpose
    Haha yup - that's why I recommended the 3400G, at least for your budget. The 3600X is a better processor AND has 50% more cores, so it's definitely more powerful, it just requires you to spend more on a GPU now.

Lots of productivity programs are still heavily single threaded, so it depends on what you're doing as to whether 6 faster cores (3600X) or 8 slower cores (2700X) would be better for you. Those same productivity programs that love cores/threads also usually have some sort of GPU acceleration available as well. Remember Zen3 (3600X) also moves you to down 7nm and a whole new design. The 3400G however is still on the Zen2/12nm process. Regardless, the AM4 socket will support all Ryzen CPUs up to 2020, so if you end up regretting your decision, you can upgrade in the future for only the cost of a CPU. You will be better off with the 3600X unless everything you do is heavily multi-threaded.

If you really don't care about graphics, you can buy a GTX 1030 for around $120 if you just need a barebones GPU. You just run into the same 'problem' as any entry level build - for not much more money you can get something that is 2-3X better because you aren't yet at the point of diminishing return haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-28-2019 at 11:30 AM.

My Ride

Sorry, I was responding to the initial post.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

3600X is more powerful than a 2700X even though it has less cores. The updated architecture means each core is more powerful and can do more even at the same clock speed. So any applications that are single threaded (A lot of programs) or even double/quad threaded will run better on the 3600X. Very few applications will make use of all 8 cores on the 2700X so unless your running a setup with a ton of simultaneous things happening; the 3600X will out perform. An example would be if you are running a HTPC streaming setup in the background, have torrents/newsgroups auto downloading stuff, music playing, and streaming videos in one window while sorta working in another monitor then ... the 2700X will maybe inch ahead.

Average User Bench 2700X (left) vs 3600X (right)
    1-Core 120 Pts vs 135 Pts Slightly faster single-core speed.+12%
    2-Core 236 Pts vs 265 Pts Slightly faster dual-core speed.+12%
    4-Core 463 Pts vs 506 Pts Slightly faster quad-core speed.+9%
    8-Core 856 Pts vs 831 Pts Slightly slower octo-core speed.-3%

I just noticed this is only $80 right now if you want an entry level GPU:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...-card/11984820

It's also fanless which means it'll be silent.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If you wanna push your budget a bit and are by the NE memory express this is a really good deal. It says its brand new still and is plenty powerful if you do every decide to play some games.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Cleara...0-005637248868

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Hey All,

Thanks for all of the support and feedback - I thought I would report back. First off, I definitely missed out as BF weekend was kind of lost from me and I wasn't able to get everything/everything from the right places. I might have to wait out a little bit to finish the build but thats okay.

I am sitting with:

AMD 3600X - $230 (Comes with a game - The Outer Worlds or Borderlands 3 ...which I will probably sell)

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz - $90 (As per Mistu' advice, upgraded to a higher clock speed ram)

XPG GAMMIX 512GB S11 Pro 3D NAND PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD - $80 (Decided against using my old SATA SSD, as the speeds on these are pretty incredible)

Cooler Master N400 - Mid Tower Computer Case with Fully Meshed Front Panel - $60 (The Rosewill cases really looked ugly to me, so yes... Spent $40 on asthetics lol)

Gigabite Bronze 700W PS - $60 (Revelations, I know it is a cheaper PS, but it was a middle ground between getting something super cheap)

Which... as the simple math tell me I have come to my budget without the Mobo and Video card haha. Its Ok... Its a couple hundred more and hopefully should last me a bit longer.

I wanted to get the ASrock Pro that Mitsu initially recommended but unfortunately it was not available for shipping. I should have just got it from Amazon

Mitsu, thanks for pointing me in the direction of the GT 1030. If I could get a used RX 570 for the same price - which would you recommend I pick up?

Thanks again everyone with their recommentations. I might wait out till Boxing Day if I am not getting exactly what I am looking for in terms of price point.

Mitsu, thanks for pointing me in the direction of the GT 1030. If I could get a used RX 570 for the same price - which would you recommend I pick up?

Thanks again everyone with their recommentations. I might wait out till Boxing Day if I am not getting exactly what I am looking for in terms of price point.
    An RX570 is a much more powerful card (2-3 times) and has 2-4 times the VRAM depending on the exact model of RX570 you choose. It's a much better card but more expensive and it will be actively cooled with fans (the 1030 is passively cooled). The 1030 uses ~70W of power under load, the RX570 uses ~300W - your 700W PSU will be fine for either.

If you are looking at an RX570, the Nvidia equivalent for the 570 4GB would be a 1050Ti and the 570 8GB equivalent would be a 1060 6GB (roughly).

My Ride

Im not trying to undermine anyone, but I wanted to see if a decent 500$ workstation could be built.

The answer is yes, but with mail in rebates (ugh).

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WfzxHB

375 USD = 500 CAD

Windows 10 key is about 15$ on amazon.

Certainly room for optimization, but something like this I would build for a client if they came to me with a hard cap.