Quantcast
Mouse for work - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mouse for work

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Default Mouse for work

Hey all,

I know almost nothing about computers or their accessories. My wife does computer things for work and said she wants a new mouse. Something Bluetooth, but that's all I know. Is there anything that makes one better than the other? Any recommendations?

Mice are extremely personal - I would strongly recommend your wife goes out and tries some. Staples and Best Buy have quite a few on display if I recall. There are literally dozens of designs and what one person find comfortable might be unusable to the next person.

Bluetooth mice aren't very common, but wireless mice are - the difference is they require a tiny dongle to be in one of the computer's USB ports. You'll have a lot more to choose from if you look for a wireless mouse rather than specifically Bluetooth.

For basic use, anything from Logitech or Microsoft is going to be fine in terms of performance.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Depends too what she does.

I used a mouse for gaming, but for working with documents, emails, etc. I MUCH prefer a thumbwheel. I was getting into wrist issues otherwise after 6-8 hours.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Its SUPER handy as you can whip a cursor around multiple screens very fast.

But thats not at all compatible with design work for eg.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mice are extremely personal - I would strongly recommend your wife goes out and tries some. Staples and Best Buy have quite a few on display if I recall. There are literally dozens of designs and what one person find comfortable might be unusable to the next person.

Bluetooth mice aren't very common, but wireless mice are - the difference is they require a tiny dongle to be in one of the computer's USB ports. You'll have a lot more to choose from if you look for a wireless mouse rather than specifically Bluetooth.

For basic use, anything from Logitech or Microsoft is going to be fine in terms of performance.
    I thought it needed to be Bluetooth to be wireless.... I'm sure she is good with anything that's wireless. I'll try to ask without asking...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post

I used a mouse for gaming, but for working with documents, emails, etc. I MUCH prefer a thumbwheel. I was getting into wrist issues otherwise after 6-8 hours.
    click for larger version

The thumbwheel might be worth a shot. She has 2 or 3 screens idealy. Lots of stuff she does is just on a laptop tho. In May be too big for when she is saying in bed working.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    The thumbwheel might be worth a shot. She has 2 or 3 screens idealy. Lots of stuff she does is just on a laptop tho. In May be too big for when she is saying in bed working.
    I use a trackball because you move the wrist a lot less vs mouse. They are not cheap and a lot of people hate them. Actually, I can see it may have some advantages if she works in bed since it is stationary and works on all surfaces. But make sure you have a place to make her test it. Not everyone like trackball.

For travel, I prefer MS Arc Touch Mouse. Folds flat.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i love the logitech MX master series, very comfy in the hand with a bunch of buttons that you can program for different tasks, but not too many buttons
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

click for larger version

This type of mouse is how I discovered that I have a condition called essential tremor, no matter how hard I tried I could not get the pointer on the screen to move smoothly. Asked the GP about it and some tests a bit letter at the Foothills revealed the problem, luckily it hasn't gotten worse after discovering that some 15+ years ago.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I use a trackball because you move the wrist a lot less vs mouse. They are not cheap and a lot of people hate them. Actually, I can see it may have some advantages if she works in bed since it is stationary and works on all surfaces. But make sure you have a place to make her test it. Not everyone like trackball.
    How much you move a mouse is largely dependent on your grip, you can still almost completely avoid wrist movement. If you use the "fingertip" style rather than resting your hand on the mouse, you just move your fingertips and nothing else really. Personally, that is how I've always used mice - without my wrist moving. You should know your preferred grip style before shopping for a mouse because many of them are purpose-built for the different grip styles.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I am 100% all over logitech mice purely for the wheel. Logitech as far I as I know is the only one that offers a "frictionless wheel". It's refined enough for single rows, and the frictionless lets me go 10 pages, all without the clicky noise (Can be enabled)

My work is an MX Master 2
    Home is an MX Revolution
    Travel is MX Anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZS2EFk7DWs

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I recommend considering an ergonomic mouse. I do heav y computing work and its been a lifesaver for me.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

click for larger version

+1 for that exact mouse. I have been using that one now for 5+ years at work using 6 monitors. Super easy to use, super comfortable, and very intuitive to use and get used to. Would not recommend it for gaming, however, office use it is A+ and I use it for 12.5 hour shifts with zero wrist/hand fatigue.

Only complaint I have with them, is that the mouse buttons end up giving up the ghost after about a year and I keep having to buy another one. I have like 6 in my drawer now that I keep meaning to pull apart and scavenge parts out to fix another to keep going. LOL
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

I have a logitech prodigy at home, and got a g305 for work since I can take it with my laptop for meetings a little more easily. It has 5 buttons so you can setup a few extra functions, but the two thumb buttons are very oit of the way. It's also regularly around $45 on Amazon, so not terribly expensive.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4 is what I find genuinely comfortable. It takes some getting used-to and I will admit that overall progress is slightly slower but it's incredibly comfortable once you settle in.

Name:  kov-vm4r_grande.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  16.0 KB

For a keyboard, I really like the Microsoft Sculpt. A mouse is available in some combo pack but it ended up really hurting my thumb muscle (aductor pollicis brevis) after a couple weeks of use.

Name:  microsoft-sculpt_01.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  23.1 KB
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4 is what I find genuinely comfortable. It takes some getting used-to and I will admit that overall progress is slightly slower but it's incredibly comfortable once you settle in.

For a keyboard, I really like the Microsoft Sculpt. A mouse is available in some combo pack but it ended up really hurting my thumb muscle (aductor pollicis brevis) after a couple weeks of use.

Name:  microsoft-sculpt_01.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  23.1 KB

As much as I love the Evoluent vertical, I find the Logitech M570 is easier and more comfortable to use. I'm surprised on one has mentioned the "new" MX ERGO, in my mind it feels like a premium upgrade to the M570, but I have yet to use it in the real world.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks for sharing! I didn't realize Logitech finally got on the vertical positioning train. That one also looks good.
    Last edited by msommers; 12-08-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

In my experience, the Evoluent is garbage. I've had 2, and both needed a replacement under warranty around the one-year mark due to switches double-clicking.

The support in Canada is also trash- you have to pay to ship to Sask.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That is quite disheartening to hear. Maybe Logitech can make a more reliable product while keeping ergonomics a primary focus.

I've seen some people at work using Wacom tablets instead of mice with a bunch of shortcuts on the pad. Haven't invested the time to try it outside of at home photo editing but the people that do use them at work swear by them.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

That is quite disheartening to hear. Maybe Logitech can make a more reliable product while keeping ergonomics a primary focus.

I've seen some people at work using Wacom tablets instead of mice with a bunch of shortcuts on the pad. Haven't invested the time to try it outside of at home photo editing but the people that do use them at work swear by them.
    I've been searching for a comparable mouse to the Evoluent. The frustrating part is that the E is objectively the best to use compared to the dozen or so I've tried- and the integrated double click button is also awesome. I miss it, honestly, but can't bring myself to buy a third one.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Only complaint I have with them, is that the mouse buttons end up giving up the ghost after about a year and I keep having to buy another one. I have like 6 in my drawer now that I keep meaning to pull apart and scavenge parts out to fix another to keep going. LOL
    By ghost do you mean random double clicks?
    Apparently it's a common capacitance issue.
    Solution is to remove power (unplug/remove battery) and click a couple hundred times to discharge the capacitors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast