Quantcast
Is India full of rapists? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is India full of rapists?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I thought this was about therapists.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought this was about therapists.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So to answer the original question, it seems like two different things are probably happening. 1) the rate of rapes in India is likely high, and those that do get reported are more "sensational" than elsewhere. 2) North American media pretty much doesn't report "boring" local rapes, unless a celebrity is involved.

So yes, the amount of coverage I've seen does paint a distorted picture of the contrast of rapes in India vs the rest of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I think I've read the word rape more times in the past 5 minutes than I have all of 2019.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

The way the question is framed, its is a bit hard to answer. But I’l give it a go.
    There are so many variables that are unique to India that do not apply in other countries.

So in the west here. When we have a problem we go to our civic institutions (Police, Fire, Government etc). The civic institutions are pretty strong for the general population.

In India the civic institutions are weak. The main civic institution is the house/family. The concept of the police is a new idea given the depth of Indias history. So traditionally problems are sorted by family to family. Elder to elder etc.
    It is a very male dominated society. You go outside and its all men. Many of the jobs are controlled by men.
    People get married at a young age (That is changing a bit now).

So with that in mind. This may give a idea to understanding the answer to the question.

So with a weak civic intuition, corruption and a society dominated by hundreds of years of culture and tradition, and a lack of applied critical thinking skills. If a woman got raped, culturally its not good as she is now not a virgin. Where would she go to report it? The police are corrupt, male dominated, lack training, skills or even lack the concept of what rape is. There is no real support network. I mean there is but if we used Canada as a benchmark. Then the standard is not really good there.
    The legal process is very long. The harassment, shame after is pretty bad. The social stigma, the woman can be outcaste by the society she lives in. Its not worth the hassle to report it.

So with that in mind, such things have gone non reported for a long time. Again news outlets are male dominated.
    Now with social media, it has allowed women to bypass many of the male dominated streams and issues. It has allowed them to connect, organize, share stories, support each other.
    Then this gets picked up by the mainstream media. Which in turn highlights the issues of corruption in the civic system of the police, courts, politicians etc.

The general media is very sensationalized. You are dealing with a population that has low education, and if they do have a education they are lacking any applied critical thinking skills to make sense of the information by questioning it.
    You also have to understand India is a god worshipping country where you are told and not to question.
    There are other variables, but I wont go into it.

In short social media has given a platform to women who would have been ignored or killed otherwise. India also has a big population. Like really big. With women getting more educated and organized. People will stand up for their rights more. Hence you will get more incidents reported.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    So yes, the amount of coverage I've seen does paint a distorted picture of the contrast of rapes in India vs the rest of the world.
    Rape is a way of life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-she-learned/

“After you speak to [the rapists], it shocks you — these men have the power to make you feel sorry for them. As a woman that’s not how you expect to feel. I would almost forget that these men have been convicted of raping a woman. In my experience a lot of these men don’t realize that what they've done is rape. They don't understand what consent is.”
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-09-2019 at 11:32 AM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    The way the question is framed, its is a bit hard to answer. But I’l give it a go.
    There are so many variables that are unique to India that do not apply in other countries.

So in the west here. When we have a problem we go to our civic institutions (Police, Fire, Government etc). The civic institutions are pretty strong for the general population.

In India the civic institutions are weak. The main civic institution is the house/family. The concept of the police is a new idea given the depth of Indias history. So traditionally problems are sorted by family to family. Elder to elder etc.
    It is a very male dominated society. You go outside and its all men. Many of the jobs are controlled by men.
    People get married at a young age (That is changing a bit now).

So with that in mind. This may give a idea to understanding the answer to the question.

So with a weak civic intuition, corruption and a society dominated by hundreds of years of culture and tradition, and a lack of applied critical thinking skills. If a woman got raped, culturally its not good as she is now not a virgin. Where would she go to report it? The police are corrupt, male dominated, lack training, skills or even lack the concept of what rape is. There is no real support network. I mean there is but if we used Canada as a benchmark. Then the standard is not really good there.
    The legal process is very long. The harassment, shame after is pretty bad. The social stigma, the woman can be outcaste by the society she lives in. Its not worth the hassle to report it.

So with that in mind, such things have gone non reported for a long time. Again news outlets are male dominated.
    Now with social media, it has allowed women to bypass many of the male dominated streams and issues. It has allowed them to connect, organize, share stories, support each other.
    Then this gets picked up by the mainstream media. Which in turn highlights the issues of corruption in the civic system of the police, courts, politicians etc.

The general media is very sensationalized. You are dealing with a population that has low education, and if they do have a education they are lacking any applied critical thinking skills to make sense of the information by questioning it.
    You also have to understand India is a god worshipping country where you are told and not to question.
    There are other variables, but I wont go into it.

In short social media has given a platform to women who would have been ignored or killed otherwise. India also has a big population. Like really big. With women getting more educated and organized. People will stand up for their rights more. Hence you will get more incidents reported.
    It's interesting when people (not you here, but in general), suggest that "all cultures around the world have equivalent value" and it's all just a matter of perspective. Sorry, no. Western cultures are superior - certainly to the subcontinent and the middle east. And China. And Russia. And most of Africa.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    It's interesting when people (not you here, but in general), suggest that "all cultures around the world have equivalent value" and it's all just a matter of perspective. Sorry, no. Western cultures are superior - certainly to the subcontinent and the middle east. And China. And Russia. And most of Africa.
    I like his quote that the media is very sensationalized. Yes when 10 guys rape and kill one girl that's gonna get some pretty sensationalist headlines bud

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    They don't understand what consent is.
    I can't even fathom how stupid a person has to be to not understand consent. If you're not ok with someone else sticking their dick in you, why would a different person be ok with you doing it to them?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

One case in particular, participant 49, sent Pandey on an unexpected journey. He expressed remorse for raping a 5-year-old girl.

“He said ‘yes I feel bad, I ruined her life.’ Now she is no longer a virgin, no one would marry her. Then he said, ‘I would accept her, I will marry her when I come out of jail.’”

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I can't even fathom how stupid a person has to be to not understand consent. If you're not ok with someone else sticking their dick in you, why would a different person be ok with you doing it to them?
    I believe the author's point is that consent is largely a social construct. A good social construct, but a construct nonetheless.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Thats unfortunately not an uncommon way of thinking in MANY societies.

I judge a culture based on how they treat women and children.

Many of the Native societies in North American (and indeed around the world) were far more evolved in this sense, than a 21st century culture.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    I like his quote that the media is very sensationalized. Yes when 10 guys rape and kill one girl that's gonna get some pretty sensationalist headlines bud
    It was a generalized point to highlight the issues of the media and how things are reported, not so much on a 10vs1 rape.

Perhaps I can give context to my point.
    On the news every single item is sensationalized. i.e A minister just leaving a house, a train breaking down, two people sitting down to talk. Flashing headlines and a news reporter reporting on the reporting, at location. There is no actual news on these items vs someone being gangraped and then having a bus trying to run a victim over. That what I was trying to get across.

It has a wider implications which is more of a deeper conversation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2