Quantcast
Gas ranges, what’s the plan - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gas ranges, what’s the plan

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Default Gas ranges, what’s the plan

We bought a place with an electric oven/stove, and would love to upgrade to a 30” gas range/oven combo. We have the gas line, but from that point I’m lost. I know we will need a hood vent installed that will move the right cfm for the range, but trying to shop for brands with both the range and hood vent are proving...interesting.

Every answer online seems to think every brand is garbage, and buying a $3000+ cafe range at minimum is the only way to go (under $2k would be more ideal).

1. Does anyone have any actual experience with specific brands or bodega with regards to reliability, usability, etc? Is this a case of “you get what you pay for” or is there a lot of features added just to drive up price? I really dgaf about Bluetooth connectivity, smart appliances, griddles, etc. I just want something that will work without trouble once we install it. I am also looking for dual fuel if possible (electric oven), which seems to be hit or miss when shopping.
    2. Has anyone bought a used gas range (ex. Bluestar, Wolf) which seem to go for the same price as a newer consumer level model, but don’t have the warranty associated?
    3. What’s the deal with hood ranges? Name brand matter as much or is it less concerning as it is a basic fan and light setup?
    Last edited by finboy; 12-07-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My most sincere appliance reccomend action is to buy a brand that sells in high volume and is cheap. Everything breaks, and something more common will be easier to find parts for, and more techs will be familiar with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Wolf

Am I doing this right?

My standard issue kitchenaid gas range and generic hood fan seem to do the trick. I personally wouldn’t ever buy an electric cooktop.
    Last edited by killramos; 12-08-2019 at 12:24 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I've had a 6 range gas stove and oversized hoodfan both by kitchen aid for the past 7 years with no issues.

My Ride
    V8s

We’ve got a dacor gas range/electric oven that was in the house when we moved in. It’s old, assuming early 2000’s, but it’s been great. I’d probably try and buy a used high end one over a new entry one if I was in the market.

Our new house has gas and every single place we looked at while shopping unfortunately also had gas. You cannot escape it haha. Personally I hate gas tops (nightmare to clean, takes forever to boil water, not as safe for kids), and want induction, but it's virtually impossible to find. Trying to see if the builder can swap it for us but being gas there might not be a 240V outlet behind it and it won't be worth it to force the issue (oven is also gas).

In my condo I lived with a Frigidaire Professional gas range and it did not have any issues during the 9 years before I got there or the 7 years I used it after that. It was rock solid, albeit a small sample size.

My only suggestion regardless of what you choose is to make sure parts are easily available and repair costs aren't insane - that probably means buying something like Kitchen Aid or similar. All appliances are disposable garbage these days for the most part, so don't pay any more than you have to - you'll be repairing or replacing probably within ~5-8 years anyway.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You wouldn’t be caught dead in any professional kitchen with an electric cooktop.

That tells me all I need to know.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

You wouldn’t be caught dead in any professional kitchen with an electric cooktop.

Well that's plainly false - there are Michelin star restaurants using induction.

If you've ever actually lived with and used an induction top you might feel differently. There are professional chefs that choose induction and some restaurants are all induction. It's all personal preference regardless of your cooking skill. The instant, safe heat makes them ideal for quick-serve restaurant environments like the SAIT culinary campus as well.

Compared to gas, induction is over twice as efficient, it's safer, it can reach hotter maximum temperatures, it can maintain lower minimum temperatures, it can adapt to any pan/pot size automatically, it controls temperature more precisely and over a wider range, it's much easier to clean, you get more counter space, and it boils water much faster. Also if you're cooking bacon or something extremely messy, you can put paper towel between the cooktop and the frying pan so there is nothing to clean up after. Induction also keeps kitchens a lot cooler, which is another reason why they are well suited for professional kitchen environments. Some induction tops even have a "virtual flame" to help visualize heat haha.

Faster cooking/boiling, better temperature control, easier cleaning, and far less residual heat are all huge boons for professional/restaurant kitchens. Every chef will have his/her own preference but to say you wouldn't be caught dead in a professional kitchen with an electric cook top is rather ignorant.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

We have a Wolf (big, red knobs, baby! hahaha) and haven't had any problems. I know you said you dgaf about any of the extras, but we would personally find a griddle really useful...

My Ride
    V8s

FWIW, my parents have a Miele induction top and I much prefer our gas cooktop. The glass top on their induction stove is actually not that easy to clean; ours is way easier. Just take off the two grates and the whole top of the stove is covered in non-stick stuff, everything wipes off with no effort; grease and caked on food is harder to get off the glass top of the induction stove. Also, despite what people say, you can't just throw paper towels on the whole top of your stove while you're cooking (unless you like smelling burnt paper the whole time). I usually put tea towels/paper towels beside whatever area the pan is sitting, but gotta be careful with that too cause they mess with the touch controls on the cooktop.

I will concede, though, that the better temp control and speed of boiling water are major upsides to induction.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    .. but we would personally find a griddle really useful...
    Built-in griddle on ranges are so nice.
    You turn from amateur home cook into Teppanyaki superstar just like that.

Next thing you know, you're pretending you work at Edo.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Also, despite what people say, you can't just throw paper towels on the whole top of your stove while you're cooking (unless you like smelling burnt paper the whole time).

I will concede, though, that the better temp control and speed of boiling water are major upsides to induction.
    My parents cook through paper towels daily on their induction top, they have never had any burning smells. Maybe if you had a pan that doesn't dissipate heat well or something? I am not sure what would cause that, all I know is it hasn't been an issue and literally everything they cook is through a paper towel so there is never any cleanup. They have had a GE unit for what I think is close to 10 years now.

I had a bit of a food explosion on my gas cook-top and I would have had to replace the entire top or somehow had it professionally cleaned to get it back to new - even the gas nozzles somehow got junk in them and it never worked the same since. Washing the grates was also annoying because they were big and heavy - they didn't fit in my dishwasher or my sink haha. Right now we have one of those super shitty electric tops (flat, but not induction) and the only thing I like about it is how easy it is to clean. I even left a dish towel on it one day and it basically melted down into plastic goo onto the burner and baked there for a bit - took about 30 seconds to clean it back to new once it cooled down. 10 seconds with a razor blade will get virtually anything off the cooktop, and for the leftover streaks, a quick polish with Cerama-bryte has it looking like new.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-09-2019 at 04:27 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@cjblair are you sure you have an induction range? I have a fancy-ass glass cooktop that is NOT induction, and my in-laws have what looks identical from the same manufacturer that IS induction. it's weird.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    @cjblair are you sure you have an induction range? I have a fancy-ass glass cooktop that is NOT induction, and my in-laws have what looks identical from the same manufacturer that IS induction. it's weird.
    @ExtraSlow hardy har har yes it's induction.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@ExtraSlow hardy har har yes it's induction.
    I wasn't joking. Was a serious question, because that doesn't sound like induction, it sounds more like whatever the fuck mine is, which is awful.

My Ride
    V8s

I wasn't joking. Was a serious question, because that doesn't sound like induction, it sounds more like whatever the fuck mine is, which is awful.
    I can turn a burner on high, put the pan on half of it and hold my hand on the other half while water comes to a boil. Are you convinced? Haha

Idk what I’m doing wrong, but I’ve literally had a paper towel with a brown circle on it after I tried that trick

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I can turn a burner on high, put the pan on half of it and hold my hand on the other half while water comes to a boil. Are you convinced? Haha

Idk what I’m doing wrong, but I’ve literally had a paper towel with a brown circle on it after I tried that trick
    Dunno. Sorry for the thread derail

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Like Mitsu said. Top restaurants in the world use induction. You can spot them in the many documentaries. It's way better in almost every way. Gas is just cheap and easy to maintain. Besides, you wouldn't want an unmotivated min wage line cook banging around on a nice induction cooktop.

And...Wolf is awesome. Best customer service by a wide margin. No need to shame them. They are one of the best for a reason.
    Kind of hard to judge something you haven't tried, amirite?

- - - Updated - - -

Food gets burned on to the induction stove because of spills that gets in between the pot and the glass. So the pot heats up and burns the circle. If it doesn't hurt you hands, then it must be leftover food. A ring doesn't appear out of nowhere. Maybe you need to clean your pots?

Induction is also quite sensitive to the types of pots and pans.

- - - Updated - - -

Dunno. Sorry for the thread derail
    I look forward to your derailments everyday.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 12-09-2019 at 08:50 PM.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    We have a Wolf (big, red knobs, baby! hahaha) and haven't had any problems. I know you said you dgaf about any of the extras, but we would personally find a griddle really useful...
    Would you hesitate to buy a 5-10 year old unit if it was well taken care of?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I look forward to your derailments everyday.
    dear diary, seems like every day I see poor grammar on beyond.ca....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast