Quantcast
Let's talk garage air compressors - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Let's talk garage air compressors

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

I just sold the 30g, I've had it for years we used it for paint pots at work pumping lacquer through them. It was starting to really show its age.

I will have 240 in the next garage but not sure where everything is going.

Thinking 20g should be fine. And probably gonna grab another oil machine.
    Last edited by B.Spilner; 12-10-2019 at 09:03 PM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Before the tank. There is a heat exchanger with a fan that cools and condenses the hot air coming out of the pump. I can't really touch the pump discharge fitting as it gets really hot, the discharge of the aftercooler is cold to the touch. The separator looks like a small vertical air tank with some stuff inside and drain at the bottom side mounted on the aftercooler discharge. Try and post a pic

I bought a 60g tank brand new from CFM and don't want it to rot. The setup is doing exactly what I want. All the plumbing is hydraulic hose from princess auto.

I have additional desiccant dryers, drains and oilers on the discharge of the tank for different air locations in my garage.
    That sounds like a handy bit of kit, I'd appreciate a picture of it. I've got separators on each of my various shop outlets and reels but something that keeps me from having to drain the damn tank all the time would be awesome.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    That sounds like a handy bit of kit, I'd appreciate a picture of it. I've got separators on each of my various shop outlets and reels but something that keeps me from having to drain the damn tank all the time would be awesome.
    Just buy a dump valve timer. Mine purges for 4 seconds twice a day and is similar to this:

Name:  A839308F-E557-4F20-9D0E-D16BD3623264.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  36.2 KB

I have an old Emglo model D running with a 5hp 1725 rpm single phase motor (240vac). Its basically a V4 single stage.

It chugs quietly at 700 rpm. I have a fan powered after cooler on the pump discharge with a large seperator and automatic drain valve before the air hits my 60 gallon tank, all tucked under my garage shelving. I drain my tank once and a while and have yet to see any water. Its all captured by the after cooler seperator. I think it is around 20 cfm. Runs my Trinco bead blast cabinet great

California Air Tools compressors look like dental compressor or diaphragm compressors. Very quiet with limited cfm per hp
    A 60 or even 30 gallon air compressor is a lot of overkill for someone who is using that compressor to fill the occasional tire, blow something out or even occasionally use a pneumatic driver and even with respect to drivers, most people can easily get by with some of the great electric ones one can purchase these days.

I had a 20 gallon compressor but downsized to a 5 gallon that still has a fairly good CFM rate to fill tires. My CAT compressor, I'll use that in a pinch to put air in my work vehicle's tires but its sole purpose is to be easily transportable (38 pounds), quiet (60dB) and to allow me to operate either my 23 or 18ga nailers - these 3 requirements are met with ease my CAT compressor.

With respect to the OP, do they really need a 30 or 60 gallon compressor? I suppose if budget or space is not an issue, then why not. Hell, my Dad has a old setup out of an Alberta Wheat Pool elevator in his garage, the tank is easily 100 gallons and it is an amazing setup but I certainly do not need that in my garage and never does he but the price was right for him. The tank alone measures at least 18" in diameter and is easily over 5' long, a beastly thing that is held together with monstrous rivets but it'll most likely stay in that garage when they eventually sell.
    Last edited by speedog; 12-11-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I took some pictures of my air compressor for those interested. Excuse the huge mess, I am right in the middle of a project for the x92.9 building

So I have most of the compressor hidden under my garage shelves.

Here is the after cooler with separator on the side and drain at the bottom. Put a scrap piece of scrap brass in the can to hold it from blowing over when the compressor turns off and drains the pump lines. I will eventually get a real drain valve (pneumatic)

Next is the pump and motor. I built a motor slide base. Dual belts, custom stand with large soft rubber feet.

Here is the tank I bought from CFM feeding lines that go to machines, air tool lines etc.

Not really anything special, just quiet and reliable. I never have to worry about this setup. I will run it for a few cycles and post the temp differential between the pump outlet and the after cooler outlet. Again never any water in the tank.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Some truly beastly stuff in your shop/garage. I had a band saw, bought from a beyond member, sold it as I would like something larger although I really don't need one. Just a nice to have tool. Bench grinder/wire wheel on a stand, such a great thing to have - I picked one up at an estate sale and it is a most satisfying tool to use, the wire wheel is absolutely evil, removes rust from rusty things, so satisfying.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Nice setup for sure, having the divorced pump really makes plumbing in the aftercooler easier. I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Some truly beastly stuff in your shop/garage. I had a band saw, bought from a beyond member, sold it as I would like something larger although I really don't need one. Just a nice to have tool. Bench grinder/wire wheel on a stand, such a great thing to have - I picked one up at an estate sale and it is a most satisfying tool to use, the wire wheel is absolutely evil, removes rust from rusty things, so satisfying.
    It took me a long time to build up what I have. Funny thing is, most of the stuff I have kept has been all the equipment I have bought cheap. I restore cnc machines when I have the space. I pay way more for those than what I have kept as quality equipment. I am a bargain hunter by dna I think

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Nice setup for sure, having the divorced pump really makes plumbing in the aftercooler easier. I'll have to keep an eye out for one.
    PA hydraulic swivel hose has not let me down yet. Check with the compressor guys in town for an old air cooled aftercooler. I had to replace the fan motor in mine, paid $50 for it

My Ride
    Trucks

It took me a long time to build up what I have. Funny thing is, most of the stuff I have kept has been all the equipment I have bought cheap. I restore cnc machines when I have the space. I pay way more for those than what I have kept as quality equipment. I am a bargain hunter by dna I think

PA hydraulic swivel hose has not let me down yet. Check with the compressor guys in town for an old air cooled aftercooler. I had to replace the fan motor in mine, paid $50 for it
    I'm sure an old refrigeration condenser of appropriate size would work well and probably more abundant.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I'm sure an old refrigeration condenser of appropriate size would work well and probably more abundant.
    For sure, small coil size, large tube diameter work perfect for diy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2