Quantcast
OK boomer: no one wants your shitty McMansion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: OK boomer: no one wants your shitty McMansion

Default OK boomer: no one wants your shitty McMansion

Millennials don't want to buy baby boomers' sprawling, multi-bedroom homes, and it's creating a major problem in the real-estate market

https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...roblems-2019-3

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The line between not wanting something, and not being able to afford it, is pretty blurry.

A lot of real estate decisions in the last 30 years seem to be based on the idea that values always go up forever. Maybe that was a faulty premise.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Based on what I've seen I call bullshit. They want something they can afford.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Is there a statistics map somewhere for Calgary that links in the past few years sales related to age range?

I will admit though, the appeal of those big houses with 5-6 bedrooms is very unappealing. I rather have the same square footage but more open concept.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Its a combination of factors.

People just can't afford it and not everyone has stable progressive careers.
    There is also a lack of skills from both parties. People dont have the same kind of fix it or slow renovation over the duration of ownership.
    Its a new, I want it now mentality.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

maybe people have learned to live within their means? 90% of boomers with those huge ass houses couldn't afford it.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

What, a double spiral entryway staircase is out of style? Say it isn't so.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Meh. Boomers will be dead soon and it will be up to their millennial kids to deal with the McMansions.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    maybe people have learned to live within their means? 90% of boomers with those huge ass houses couldn't afford it.
    That's a good point actually. I remember back in the day we used to complain how younger people are buying way too much house than they afford just because they are approved.
    Now we are complaining about young people complaining they have no money lol.

What a change!

The annoying thing is when people think "new = better/less maintenance". What I think people want instead is PREDICTABLE maintenance. A new home that was poorly built or used shit materials will not provide predictable maintenance.

Millennials are going to inherit a lot of things that they might not want. That being said, if its simply an issue of money, they can always put in an extra bathroom split a Mcmansion four ways, and live like reality show TV people.

To me, its the combustion engine vehicle that may see an abrupt end. I mean really, if you have to spend $6,000 to bring a combustion engine car up to code - why not just put it towards an electric vehicle that may never need repair?
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Shit, wrong thread.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Geo View Post
    Millennials don't want to buy baby boomers' sprawling, multi-bedroom homes, and it's creating a major problem in the real-estate market

https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...roblems-2019-3
    Counterpoint:

As Millennials Get Older, Many Are Buying SUVs To Drive To Their Suburban Homes

https://www.npr.org/2017/09/15/55123...suburban-homes

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Is there a statistics map somewhere for Calgary that links in the past few years sales related to age range?

I will admit though, the appeal of those big houses with 5-6 bedrooms is very unappealing. I rather have the same square footage but more open concept.
    I ran the above article by a couple of realtor friends and they see the trend of moving out of downtown/inner city and to the suburbs as they grow their families. As for buy what you can afford, 100% agree. We looked at inner city McMansions a couple of years ago because we could now afford it.

The decimation of the innercity/downtown condo market seems to be correlated to both lifestyle and affordability. There's still bidding wars for SFH in our community in the ~$700k range.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

I heard of this before until Boomers are all buying even bigger homes before they need to be shipped to assisted living.

EDIT: Rage beat me to it.

I have see a lot of "millenials" ended up buying started home in the burbs as they are ready to start family/kids. Even if you don't want kids, eventually you will stop partying and yarn for quieter burb life style.

My boomer co-work retired and sold out before RE crashed in Calgary in 2016 and moved into Okanagan. And for the amount for retiree I met from all over the country while I was visiting him, seems like it will remain in demand for the foreeable future. So his plan to sell home to fund his assisted living in about 15-20 year totally make sense for now.

And if you McMansion doesn't appeal to kids, your lot it sit on may be ripe for multi unit development if that's where the demand is.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-12-2019 at 04:29 PM.

I must be doing it wrong then, above grade square footage is below 1400 and only 3 bedrooms above grade. Guess I fail at being a boomer.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    ute

As technology results in easier commutes and less of a need to commute, the suburbs might become more appealing not less.

If I want an inner-city feel, I just jump in an uber and go out for dinner.

Besides, it appears that tight-rolled jeans are back for the youts, and I couldn't look at that all day.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I must be doing it wrong then, above grade square footage is below 1400 and only 3 bedrooms above grade. Guess I fail at being a boomer.
    Nah. Once the kids are out of the house we’re downsizing.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Now we are complaining about young people complaining they have no money lol.
    US has 1.2 trillion dollars in student loan debt. Mortgage default rates are like 1.2% but student loan defaults are somewhere in the vicinity of 26%.

I wouldn't have any money either if I took a $150,000 loan out like an imbecile for something stupid like a Masters in Christian Studies, just to realize it would result in a $30,000 a year job.

Between lack of fiscal knowledge/responsibility, living beyond their means, and lack of delaying gratification or understanding of sacrifice, it's no wonder some people won't ever get ahead.

I know this thread wasn't about money per se but I just had to throw this out there haha.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Nah. Once the kids are out of the house we’re downsizing.
    We've been in our current home for more than 23 years now, raised 4 kids in it with no problems. Owning a big hone just isn't a boomer thing, I've been in many large homes that were owned by people who are definitely younger than what a boomer would be - gen X'ers like their big homes as well.
    Last edited by speedog; 12-12-2019 at 06:17 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

Hey, how about we do a house size/generation comparison to see how things really are on beyond.

I'll start, 1,384 square foot bungalow, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom above grade. Another 1,140 square feet down stairs, most of it developed, 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom down there. Total of 2,524 square feet and most definitely boomer generation, raised 4 kids in that space. With kids gone we have rooms that sit empty, would consider downsizing but the small town feel around us will keep us around for quite a while yet.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Shit, now we all need to deny being millennials. I'll start and say I'm a Xennial (which means Xena the warrior princess fan, I believe. )

I'm in an inner city duplex infill. 1800, 3 bed, three bath above grade. 800, one bed and one bath below.
    Two adults, two kids.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 12-12-2019 at 06:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast