Quantcast
OK boomer: no one wants your shitty McMansion - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: OK boomer: no one wants your shitty McMansion

My Ride
    Silverado

The biggest thing i see millennials complain about on beyond is that they're actually millennials

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

McMansion?

Lol okay. We just paid $450K for an 800 sqft condo. A house, any house in this city is like a million dollars. Real estate or wages need to move somehow because people in good jobs can’t afford a place to live in a lot of places.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if you don't want to play the little game, then just leave things be. Muddy the waters elsewhere.

As far as a McMansion, what would be a good Calgary definition of such. I wouldn't call my home or ES' home McMansions by any stretch of the imagination. I think once you're north of 2,500 square feet above grade, then you're heading into McMansion territory, 3,000 square feet for sure and I don't think a duplex/attached home/whatever else one wants to call that would ever be considered a McMansion.

If your home has an elevator, then it's most likely a McMansion. 4-5 car attached garage, probably McMansion territory. 3 car attached garage, debateable.
    The way I've always thought of it, a McMansion is the "super value meal" of homes - very little substance, with size being prioritized at the expense of everything else.

It seems like mostly a US thing. I picture a sea of very large homes, say in the 4,000+ range. They'll have a brick facade, but vinyl siding on the other exterior walls; small, low- quality windows, further accentuating the lack of architectural elements and quality; basic "builder-grade" features like laminate floors, low-pile carpet, hollow interior doors, basic appliances (but hey, "they're stainless steal!"), fixtures and cabinets, acrylic tub surrounds, etc... Maybe even an above-ground pool! But hey, at least they've got 4,400 square feet on 1/2 an acre and it only cost $320,000!

I can't really think of any areas around Calgary where the size to quality ratio is as skewed as what I typically consider a McMansion.

To me, the millennial aversion to McMansions seems to have more to do with their seeming preference for quality over substance.

(back to your question - Based on the age chart you posted, I'm a millennial and my home fits the definition of what you described as a McMansion... I feel dirty).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    i'm an 82, i think i am gen x, i think millennials are 90's babies, or at least 85... 80 just doesn't seem right

i always thought GenX was just echo boomers, which i am
    Come join the Xennials bro. How dare ANYONE assume your generational label?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    US has 1.2 trillion dollars in student loan debt. Mortgage default rates are like 1.2% but student loan defaults are somewhere in the vicinity of 26%.

I wouldn't have any money either if I took a $150,000 loan out like an imbecile for something stupid like a Masters in Christian Studies, just to realize it would result in a $30,000 a year job.

Between lack of fiscal knowledge/responsibility, living beyond their means, and lack of delaying gratification or understanding of sacrifice, it's no wonder some people won't ever get ahead.

I know this thread wasn't about money per se but I just had to throw this out there haha.
    Millennials love to think they're unique, but bad financial decisions are part of being young.

I think that student loan default rate was the same back when I was young LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    The way I've always thought of it, a McMansion is the "super value meal" of homes - very little substance, with size being prioritized at the expense of everything else.

It seems like mostly a US thing. I picture a sea of very large homes, say in the 4,000+ range. They'll have a brick facade, but vinyl siding on the other exterior walls; small, low- quality windows, further accentuating the lack of architectural elements and quality; basic "builder-grade" features like laminate floors, low-pile carpet, hollow interior doors, basic appliances (but hey, "they're stainless steal!"), fixtures and cabinets, acrylic tub surrounds, etc... Maybe even an above-ground pool! But hey, at least they've got 4,400 square feet on 1/2 an acre and it only cost $320,000!

I can't really think of any areas around Calgary where the size to quality ratio is as skewed as what I typically consider a McMansion.

To me, the millennial aversion to McMansions seems to have more to do with their seeming preference for quality over substance.

(back to your question - Based on the age chart you posted, I'm a millennial and my home fits the definition of what you described as a McMansion... I feel dirty).
    They build housing developments differently in the US. They just build reams of reams of houses all at once and then sell them when they're finished - they're all "spec" houses.

Here, they build almost everything on demand.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The most millennial thing is to deny being a millennial.

My personal definition of mcmansion for Calgary is more about the neighborhood. If there's 100+ houses with virtually identical specifications and price being built at once, it's probably a mcmansion. I'm looking at you Cranston.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 12-13-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    My assumption is more about their generations throwaway attitude. Nobody works on or fixes anything. Car breaks, take it to the mechanic. Appliances break, just buy new. Hire out the lawn care, or better yet, don't have a lawn at all. So there isn't much sense in having a big house just to have a proper sized garage for tools and whatnot. That, or they're too broke to own anything of value, so no need for a big house to store all your junk when you don't have any.

I know I sure as heck don't need a 2650sqft house. But the problem is they don't attach 3 car garages to 1500sqft houses.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The most millennial thing is to deny being a millennial.

My personal definition of mcmansion for Calgary is more about the neighborhood. If there's 100+ houses with virtually identical specifications and price being built at once, it's probably a mcmansion. I'm looking at you Cranston.
    My parents live in a McMansion in California. It's 4400 sq ft. Three full baths, one half bath. Five bedrooms. Three car garage. The entire neighbourhood is like that. There's really no analogy in Calgary.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    My parents live in a McMansion in California. It's 4400 sq ft. Three full baths, one half bath. Five bedrooms. Three car garage. The entire neighbourhood is like that. There's really no analogy in Calgary.
    Agree the mcmansions in the USA cannot be compared to anything in Canada. Totally different.

The real question is how (if at all) an article about the American sunbelt applies to Alberta or CALGARY.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Agree the mcmansions in the USA cannot be compared to anything in Canada. Totally different.
    The stuff in Cranston are 1500-2000 sq ft houses, they should be called "cookie cutter" housing.

Thing is, when people get older no one really gives a fuck. People just want a place to live that's affordable and has a room for each kid.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I have 0 desire to every deal with the maintenance that would go into a massive house. I'd much rather have a really nice townhouse that is well built so I don't hear my neighbors and little to no outside maintenance.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    i'm an 82, i think i am gen x, i think millennials are 90's babies, or at least 85... 80 just doesn't seem right

i always thought GenX was just echo boomers, which i am
    Millennial's are 1981 - 1996
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Millennial's are 1981 - 1996
    38 year old millennial

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I’m building a 3200 sqft home for a millennial couple right now. Has 4 bedrooms up, 2 bedrooms below, all the fancy upgrades and a 3 car garage, limited because of lot size, inner city home.

I find once the Millennials hit VP levels they start building or buying their forever home.

Right now all the boomers are selling, downsizing, or dying.

I myself am a Gen X married to a millennial haha.
    Last edited by 89coupe; 12-13-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    I’m building a 3200 sqft home for a millennial couple right now. Has 4 bedrooms up, 2 bedrooms below, all the fancy upgrades and a 3 car garage, limited because of lot size, inner city home.

I find once the Millennials hit VP levels they start building or buying their forever home.

Right now all the boomers are selling, downsizing, or dying.
    I was told Millennials are all losers.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Considering "Millennials" are consistently talked about (typically in a negative light), it's hilarious that there isn't an actual definition because God knows the media loves to point the finger.

Also hilarious, how defensive 80s kids are about a label that doesn't actually define anything about them specifically. Ironic considering it's probably the same 80s kids saying people don't have thick enough skin these days.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I was told Millennials are all losers.
    Probably because you hang out on this site too often.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    38 year old millennial
    People seem to not realize that millennial's do age. It just doesn't always refer to people in their 20's

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Probably because you hang out on this site too often.
    We're all losers here. Baller losers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast