Quantcast
Icy conditions on the QE2 and fishtailing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Icy conditions on the QE2 and fishtailing

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Icy conditions on the QE2 and fishtailing

Last night around 6 I drove up to Edmonton. From Calgary to about red deer I was averaging about 120kph but as soon as I got to red deer there was noticeable ice on the road, and blowing snow. It started snowing about Lacombe. From about Lacombe I noticed that at speeds higher than 100 my car would do this fishtailing thing where it felt like it would be moving side to side the outside temp was -15 there were cars flying past me that did not seem to experience this and I have Hakka 9s studded that were installed last year. Just after Lacombe there were at least 10 cars in ditches on my side of the road that all appeared to have happened recently so I know it was icy.

Do other people experience this fishtailing feeling at low temps on icy roads? I was driving a Toyota Highlander 4wd

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last night around 6 I drove up to Edmonton. From Calgary to about red deer I was averaging about 120kph but as soon as I got to red deer there was noticeable ice on the road, and blowing snow. It started snowing about Lacombe. From about Lacombe I noticed that at speeds higher than 100 my car would do this fishtailing thing where it felt like it would be moving side to side the outside temp was -15 there were cars flying past me that did not seem to experience this and I have Hakka 9s studded that were installed last year. Just after Lacombe there were at least 10 cars in ditches on my side of the road that all appeared to have happened recently so I know it was icy.

Do other people experience this fishtailing feeling at low temps on icy roads? I was driving a Toyota Highlander 4wd
    Low tire pressure will certainly have this effect, especially on a top heavy vehicle. My truck tires lose around 10 psi in the winter that need to be topped up.
    Last edited by Darell_n; 12-14-2019 at 09:59 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Yeah I do have a light on my dash I’m gonna check it out this morning. I usually never bother with it because I’m in the city and I don’t typically drive above 80 anywhere

My Ride
    something green

I went through there on Tuesday in my one ton, same thing, only in that area is where I felt the truck to be skittish. Couple of factors I think, first the right hand lane in both directions is fairly load rutted from heavy trucks, and it develops an ice sheen in the ruts. The tires always try to climb the crowns, coupled with ice makes it a battle. Other thing is that area is like the Bermuda triangle for weather, and I think the road thaws and refreezes a lot despite the salt they throw down there. The left hand lane is definitely flatter and is easier to drive as long as you match the fastest traffic in it. Left hand lane speed was 120-125, right hand was 90-100 on that day. .
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Sounds like a low tire to me, had one tire go to 10psi on the way back to Edmonton and as soon as I hit ice I knew something was wrong because the car felt like the alignment was fucked immediately.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Just filled my air pressure to 32 on all the front left was at 14psi the other 3 were around 20psi. I noticed both front left and rear left were both whistling with air when I took the caps off. I presume that’s normal at this temp and is how they lose the air. It also took along time to fill all of the tires.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Check those tires again in an hour. Or if the dash light goes on again, don't ignore it. I think you may have some moisture in the valves that is frozen.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Check those tires again in an hour. Or if the dash light goes on again, don't ignore it. I think you may have some moisture in the valves that is frozen.
    How do you fix that?

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Are you sure your AWD is fully functional???

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Park somewhere heated for a few hours, and blow out the valves either by letting air out, or filling the tire?
    If they are leaking, that is. Like I said, check again in an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

How do you fix that?
    Pull the valve stems and let it clear out.

Tires will lose air in the winter but the fact you let it get down to 14psi is scary and concerning.

At those pressures you can clearly see a tire needs air.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I’m unsure how I would know if it is or not it’s always on.

My Ride
    Trucks

If the valve core is leaking by, try poking it open, over and over again, with a little screwdriver. Most of the time they will pop closed and seal themselves. Otherwise you can buy some schrader valve cores and a puller tool at an auto parts store and just throw a new core in. They are only worth a few cents. Or if you are around Cochrane I can give you a handful. I have those guys everywhere around home, from work.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Park somewhere heated for a few hours, and blow out the valves either by letting air out, or filling the tire?
    If they are leaking, that is. Like I said, check again in an hour.
    Hmm well don’t think I will have an opportunity to do that up here but I will check it out when I get home for sure

Regarding the 4WD I am pretty sure it’s working when I slide or turn sharply it corrects my slide and basically doesn’t allow me to spin out

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Regarding the 4WD I am pretty sure it’s working when I slide or turn sharply it corrects my slide and basically doesn’t allow me to spin out
    Um, 4WD has nothing to do with that. That is stability control.

If the TPMS is always on, do you actually have sensors in your wheels? Have they been paired?

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Um, 4WD has nothing to do with that. That is stability control.

If the TPMS is always on, do you actually have sensors in your wheels? Have they been paired?
    Most people probably are not aware how much their vehicle's stability control does for them.mostbpeople are also not too much aware of the dynamics of a FWD vs RWD vs AWD vs RWD when it comes to a vehicle losing control in slippery conditions. Now granted that electronic/computerized controls have made this almost a no brainer for most drivers, there are still ways to use a vehicle's specific drive configuration to give a driver even more of an advantage.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Also keep in mind that ambient temperature has a fairly significant impact on tire pressures. From +20C to -20C you can loose 7-8PSI.

Checking your tire pressures with a decent gauge monthly is a good habit to get into.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Alignment will do this on black ice. Most manufacturers call for toe in to help rear stability in the dry so you don’t oversteer at the limit. On ice, It feels skittish because the rears are always trying to turn. Set toe in closer to 0 on the rears and it goes away, but you sacrifice rear stability in the dry.

I remember my C63 was so bad for this in the winter. Pretty much undrivable at anything over 100kmh on icy days in a straight line. That car had an aggressive -3.5 toe in because of all the torque.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I guess Im the only one that checks the vehicle basics before a long winter trip:

- blankets in car
    - peanuts/water/snacks
    - candle
    - spare cell phone battery charger
    - tire pressure/condition
    - cash on hand
    - engine oil and fluid levels
    - headlights
    - portable power batter pack
    - flashlight
    - basic tools

Were not in fucking California, we need to do basic due diligence before long winter journeys. Serious risk.
    Last edited by revelations; 12-14-2019 at 01:51 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I just keep a well stocked emergency kit in the vehicle 365 days a year.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast