Quantcast
What's the deal with Public Mobile? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with Public Mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just switched over today, getting 13'ish Mbps speeds.

Not sure why @ExtraSlow , but I couldn't get my account to activate with your referral code. No dollar from me. I tried a few times and it kept saying "Sim Invalid" until I deleted your code, then it worked fine.
    If you're still having issues, you can try my referral code: 7220O8 NOTE: it is seven-two-two-zero-letterO-eight or use link https://activate.publicmobile.ca/?raf=7220O8

I'm not trying to steal ExtraSlow's referral -- simply offering a way to troubleshoot if it's a referral code problem or a Public Mobile system / website problem.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Did anyone else have problems with my code? Not sure what's up with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Did anyone else have problems with my code? Not sure what's up with that.
    It might have been a website issue. It didn't say your code was bad, but the sim card number was. Might have been a fluke that erasing your referral allowed it to work.

After a day of testing, the speeds are so random, lol. Ive gotten as low as 3 Mbps, and as high as 25 Mbps. Even at 3 though, it satisfies my needs. Im not a heavy mobile user anymore.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think for short bursts you can get those higher speeds. I suspect people should count on 2-3 for any larger files, so they won't be dissapointed.

Enjoy it.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

if anyone has been on the fence about public mobile, there's an extra $20 referral credit when you us anyones referral code (and $10 for the person who referred you). My code is in my sig, but there are others.
    This promotion ends sept 23.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Don't know where else to put this, but it's funny to me, so...

I regularly request invoices from public Mobile so that I can expense my cellphone costs from my employer. Pm has this silly invoice process where you need to request it from the forum moderators and then, like two weeks later, they email you the pdf of it. Silly process, but I think that's on purpose to funnel business users to the higher end brands.

So last time I requested my invoice, I don't recall doing anything different, but they couriered me an envelope with the invoice inside. Now, the funny part. The XpressPost envelope had the sender as "Koodoo Mobile" and the paper envelope inside was a Telus envelope.

Funny stuff and shows how intertwined the three Telus brands are.

Anyway, happy Friday everyone.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hah, you CAN now buy a phone handset from public mobile. A small selection of certified pre-owned ones. Nothing compelling to me. But hey, options.
    https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/phone-section

My Ride
    is broken

I've also been on Public mobile since day 1 and locked into of their old "90 day" plans which are awesome. $114/90 days with 6GB.

For the speed thing, I usually get limited to 6mpbs on LTE latency. But I notice they only limit PER connection so any multitasking stuff on your phone will still got faster. Streaming a podcast and updating apps will both get 6mbps.

With 5G coming online i wonder if they will modify the policy. Since i have a Pixel 5 now it seems a little still to be limited so slow.
    Last edited by jacky4566; 11-09-2020 at 12:51 AM.

Publicmobile has a free 2gb data and 500 intl min add on promo going on at the moment. If you login to the portal, go to the add on section you should see them there. I still have the ones from last year that I haven’t fully used up which I completely forgot about.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Good call, I added those to all three accounts that I administer with public mobile.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by EmJay View Post
    Publicmobile has a free 2gb data and 500 intl min add on promo going on at the moment. If you login to the portal, go to the add on section you should see them there. I still have the ones from last year that I haven’t fully used up which I completely forgot about.
    Haha nice. I have twice as much free data than I'm paying for now

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 1.44.07 PM.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  71.7 KB

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Telus EPP $50 for 20gb is back.
    Name:  epp.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  40.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Telus’ flanker brand Public Mobile is currently offering a month of free service on new activations and 5GB of bonus data on select plans. “For a limited time only, get a month of free service when you enter your email below and activate on any plan by February 8. Plus, get 5GB of free data on any plan $25/mo or more,” the offer reads.

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Public Mobile offering month of free service, 5GB bonus data with select plans
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/01/17/p...-select-plans/
    Little bonus data and a free month.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If ya call Asia, lunar new years deal.
    Name:  public-mobile-lunar-new-year.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  66.3 KB

Thinking about going with Public Mobile and porting my work cell phone number from Bell (just left the job). From my understanding, I have to buy a sim from one of their retailers and then activate a plan online. How easy is the online process of porting a number over myself? especially when the previous Bell statements went to the administrator in the company for payment... although my name is associated with the phone number. I just don't want to lose my phone number or have it take forever to switch the number over.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
    Thinking about going with Public Mobile and porting my work cell phone number from Bell (just left the job). From my understanding, I have to buy a sim from one of their retailers and then activate a plan online. How easy is the online process of porting a number over myself? especially when the previous Bell statements went to the administrator in the company for payment... although my name is associated with the phone number. I just don't want to lose my phone number or have it take forever to switch the number over.
    It was pretty seamless when I did it.

You can also order the sim online, fill in your info on the public mobile registration and it will port over, mine took like a few minutes.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you have access to the phone number and its in your name it should work. But it's an added wrinkle if you don't have "full control" over that bell account.

Not sure you have any risk of losing the number. If it doesn't port over, it'll remain at Bell. Your risk is the cost of the Sim card.

That's why I am a little hesitant to do it myself online as there are many community posts about phone number not porting over smoothly. I do however have the Bell account number associated with my phone number. Maybe I'll just get London Drugs to activate the sim and let them do the porting... assuming they use a different system to sign up customers than their online self activation page.

My Ride
    R50

Quote Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
    That's why I am a little hesitant to do it myself online as there are many community posts about phone number not porting over smoothly. I do however have the Bell account number associated with my phone number. Maybe I'll just get London Drugs to activate the sim and let them do the porting... assuming they use a different system to sign up customers than their online self activation page.
    It’s the same system, you might as well do it yourself. I did a port last week, the self activation site asks you if you wanted a new number or port an existing. Once you choose port, it will ask you for the IMEI and Account Number from your old account. It then texts you a verification code to enter back into the activation page to complete the port. Pretty foolproof.

Also FYI Public’s SIM is only $5 through Amazon with 2 day shipping.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Been with public mobile for like 4 years now, still very satisfied. I love paying 3 months at a time and not thinking about a bill until I get a text saying renewal is coming up, they debit my credit card for another $150 and I'm good to good for another quarter.

I really, really like not seeing a bill *EVER*, and I get charged a little less every month for loyalty rewards and referrals. You could ostensibly get your bill down to $0 permanently with referrals.

The 1 or 2 times i've ever had small issues it is kind of annoying to have to use an online forum (ironic, I know) to get something resolved. But it's always been within hours, not days, so I remain a loyal customer.
    Last edited by adamc; 02-06-2021 at 04:37 PM.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast