Quantcast
Living off one income question - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Living off one income question

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    seniors are always the best people to take car of little kids that need to be highly active.
    Start senior home business.
    Also have it as a day care.
    Seniors watch the kiddos, seniors are well entertained.

Profit from the seniors' payments. Profit from daycare fees. Profit Profit Profit?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    Making average money and sending kids to Daycare or hiring a nanny... is this a White folk thing? Jesus, Ive never ever been in a daycare in my life. Always at the grandparents. I guess Asians care about their grand kids. I am making 130k and I would still need my partner to work regardless. She can work part time if she wants. It is just healthier for people to get out of the house and exercise the body and the brain.

To make more money is going to be difficult in Alberta. Try subletting parts of your home to help cut living costs. CB on dining out, cook every single meal given the extra time at home. Financial and health benefits, win-win.

But seriously, why cant one person work FT and the other work PT? A few hours a week can still be manageable even with kid(s), no? #whitepeople problems
    That only works if your family lives here as well. Not exactly going to send my kids to Edmonton for the day while I'm at work. Also your average person doesn't make 130k so saying 'one work part time and one work full time' doesn't really translate when you are saying you make 130k and you still need your partner to work regardless.... but yeah, its definitely #whitepeople that are the problem

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

White people are always the problem.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    That only works if your family lives here as well. Not exactly going to send my kids to Edmonton for the day while I'm at work. Also your average person doesn't make 130k so saying 'one work part time and one work full time' doesn't really translate when you are saying you make 130k and you still need your partner to work regardless.... but yeah, its definitely #whitepeople that are the problem
    The assumption that you have family members that don't work full-time themselves shows how closed some people's circles are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    The assumption that you have family members that don't work full-time themselves shows how closed some people's circles are.
    Or that your kids grandparents even want to baby sit. My parents would laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh as they left room if I ever asked them that.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    White people are always the problem.
    I thought based on your avatar you were going to finish the sentence with "... and the solution".

My Ride
    4x4

Tends to also assume parents are in a physical state that they could do so... And are local...

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the opportunity cost that has to weigh in to this decision. Sure, the spouse making the lowest amount might stay home because it makes short term sense but what happens 5 years down the road when the kids are in school and that individual has nothing valuable to do?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    I thought based on your avatar you were going to finish the sentence with "... and the solution".
    My avatar is nowhere near clever enough to come up with that

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    The one thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the opportunity cost that has to weigh in to this decision. Sure, the spouse making the lowest amount might stay home because it makes short term sense but what happens 5 years down the road when the kids are in school and that individual has nothing valuable to do?
    Spin and yoga class.

My Ride
    V8s

Very interesting comments. My wife's parents live here, and mine live here half the year, and they are always asking how often they can spend time with our daughter, dropping over for visits, etc etc. They would be over the moon if we decided to send my wife back to work PT and they got an extra day a week with our kid.

I guess I'm (or was) ignorant, I just assumed all grandparents were like this. Makes me appreciate them even more knowing there's others that don't want to be as engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Very interesting comments. My wife's parents live here, and mine live here half the year, and they are always asking how often they can spend time with our daughter, dropping over for visits, etc etc. They would be over the moon if we decided to send my wife back to work PT and they got an extra day a week with our kid.

I guess I'm (or was) ignorant, I just assumed all grandparents were like this. Makes me appreciate them even more knowing there's others that don't want to be as engaged.
    One day a week is one thing.. I don't think you are finding a ton of grandparents that will fully replace daycare.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    One day a week is one thing.. I don't think you are finding a ton of grandparents that will fully replace daycare.
    In that case, jackpot.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Our parents are more than happy to look after our 10 month old, but only in small doses. Maybe 2-4 hours during the weekday 1 time a week, or an occasional sleepover on the weekends. We are definitly really appreciative of that, as it allows us to drop the baby off and go grocery shopping in peace, or to go to a restaurant that's not baby friendly. However my wife has been asked to go back to work early from her mat leave, and they know they can't handle looking after the kid full time even though my FIL is retired, so we are trying to figure out if my wife can work part time from home, I will work 1 day from home, her parents look after the kid for 1 day, and maybe day care for 1 day.

Oh man.. how life has changed after having a kid lol.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    Someone has to petition for the 30km/hr zones to keep the children safe

On a real note, I wish carriage homes were more of a thing in Calgary. Like buy a 3 bedroom house with a double detached garage in the back yard that has a suite above it. Let the parents live there rent free but be daycare some of the time .... would be a decent setup I guess. Although it'd be a lot of stairs when they get older I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Someone has to petition for the 30km/hr zones to keep the children safe

On a real note, I wish carriage homes were more of a thing in Calgary. Like buy a 3 bedroom house with a double detached garage in the back yard that has a suite above it. Let the parents live there rent free but be daycare some of the time .... would be a decent setup I guess. Although it'd be a lot of stairs when they get older I guess.
    In home elevators are a thing.
    Solved.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post

Also depends if your parents are still working or fully retired.

Fortunately for us, my mom decided to semi-retire to take care of our daughter during the day and she just works in the afternoon to maintain her benefits. We pay her bi-weekly.
    The in-laws are both still working but if needed the MIL can take a day off to take care of our daughter.

For some Filipino friends and family that we talked with, it was cheaper to get their parents a travel visa and have them stay here instead of paying for daycare (just hope they don't get sick or you are fcked).

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    For some Filipino friends and family that we talked with, it was cheaper to get their parents a travel visa and have them stay here instead of paying for daycare (just hope they don't get sick or you are fcked).
    That’s exactly what the white people do!

fact.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

What? Fly-in Filipinos to look after their kids?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    Not sure if this will work for 6 months but travel medical for healthy seniors should be around $3-$7US/day. 180 days = ~$1400 for 6 months. There are also private plans that should be in the $300-$500/mth range too. Still way cheaper than live-in nanny and your ass is covered if some serious sickeness does pop up.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast