Quantcast
Does anyone else have issues with their email address being used by others? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else have issues with their email address being used by others?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Does anyone else have issues with their email address being used by others?

I have 2FA on my mailbox so I know they arent using my email per say but some other people with my same name send there fucking emails to my email. Only difference is my email is [email protected] and they are sending it to [email protected] in the last 6 months some guy in England has signed up for his personal photo book service with this account and to nike.com to buy some shoes yesterday. I thought about fucking with him and cancelling the order but I didnt because I dont think thats particulary nice but I have no idea other than sending him a letter to say stop using my fucking email address.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have 2FA on my mailbox so I know they arent using my email per say but some other people with my same name send there fucking emails to my email. Only difference is my email is [email protected] and they are sending it to [email protected] in the last 6 months some guy in England has signed up for his personal photo book service with this account and to nike.com to buy some shoes yesterday. I thought about fucking with him and cancelling the order but I didnt because I dont think thats particulary nice but I have no idea other than sending him a letter to say stop using my fucking email address.
    I also have my firstname.lastname@gmail and get all sorts of weird things.

Including some guy in Australia signing up for his apprenticeship using my email. Felt bad for that guy.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Google ignores special characters.

Firstlastname
    First.lastname
    First+last name
    First_lastname

Are all the same Gmail account. Chances are they signed up for a different domain like Hotmail and mixed up the latter half

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7436150?hl=en

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I had that happen when I was at University. Got some detailed HR type shit about someone who worked there.

Guy was in the newspaper pretty regularly, which confused my family and friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

YES!

Some dude in the UK. Opened a few telstra accounts and racked a bunch of data up. I cannot for the life of me get it through to them that i am not paying them any money and that i never set up the account. Buddy had $2k in data overages. They even sent a collections company after me. It was an easy "mark as spam" click.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I get quite a bit of emails from customers trying to email Beyond Vision up in Edmonton. They punch in beyond.ca instead of beyondvision.ca in their email addresses, and we both use info@ for general emails.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

So bonus points for never have used my first.lastname in any of my personal email addresses over the last 20+ years? In fact, not any of the personal email addresses I have used have anything remotely close to my name in them and the main gmail account I use is not some artist/fartsy address - it is a made up acronym that has meaning to me but that very few outsiders ever figure out even though it is staring them in the face.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

The thing with the guy ordering his photo book using my email, I dont know why these accounts dont ask for email verification for some of these accounts but he saved his credit card details in his account that I have access too so I could also order fucking shit using his credit card number - I know thats illegal but I guess how far does your email account prove you own shit?

I dont know how people can get shit so blindly wrong. Actually I think 3 years ago this same guy who at the time worked for some university ended up sending me an email in some group email and I replied and said stop fucking sending me emails I am not you, and he was very apologetic yet still sends me fucking emails. Yesterday I found this same guy on facebook and sent him a message telling him I have his name, his address, his photos and his credit card info I just want him to stop using my email address.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

The thing with the guy ordering his photo book using my email, I dont know why these accounts dont ask for email verification for some of these accounts but he saved his credit card details in his account that I have access too so I could also order fucking shit using his credit card number - I know thats illegal but I guess how far does your email account prove you own shit?

I dont know how people can get shit so blindly wrong. Actually I think 3 years ago this same guy who at the time worked for some university ended up sending me an email in some group email and I replied and said stop fucking sending me emails I am not you, and he was very apologetic yet still sends me fucking emails. Yesterday I found this same guy on facebook and sent him a message telling him I have his name, his address, his photos and his credit card info I just want him to stop using my email address.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I've had a lot of weird crap going on lately with my email address.

The latest is I've had emails come through from someone named "John" putting applications in at different banks. I'll be checking my credit history next month or so.

The other is a woman in the states that shares the same first initial and last name as me and uses it as the address so I'll get a ton of stupid receipts from her shopping.

Mine is first initial+last [email protected] and I've had it since gmail was in beta.

My Ride
    4x4

constantly.

Alex, Annette and Adrian are fucking idiots. There's about 6 others but I'm not totally sure who they are.

Annette - apparently frustrated that she couldn't sign up as my @gmail address - thus signed up for [email protected] - ended up loosing her netflix account. Wasn't getting anywhere with netflix, so reset password to StopUsingMyEmail . Still ongoing - get monthly new signups to liverpool soccer mom stuff. FB says she's cute though. 100% i'd hit it.

Adrian is down in washington dc area, after 100 odd requests to his rod & gun club to remove me from their mass spams... They didn't. So their mass spam to update everyone on the new door code to get into the firing range was posted to reddit. That got me removed. Only took 2ish years.

Alex I'm pretty sure is just doing it to piss me off now. Down in georgia somewhere's... Signs me up for all kinds of stupid shit, probably uses mine as his spam email signup.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Oh yeah I also forgot some guy signed up my email address to his instagram which was really odd because I already have an insta account using my email address. I logged in and changed the name to stopusingmyfuckingemailaddress and they still request to join it all the time. I know gmail doesnt care about periods between the names but instagram differentiates the email addresses.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Someone in Lethbridge has a very similar Shaw email as myself. I'm constantly getting money transfers, which are cancelled within a couple of hours.

They also own a Kia, and have let their Sirius subscription lapse.

Gmail does not recognize periods in personal email accounts. You could have a dot after every letter and it still wouldn't matter. Is it a work email? Nobody else can have that email account, dot or not, unless it's a separate work or organizational account where the dots are recognized.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-16-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Yup. Also, some guy has his home security camera system alerts set to my email. The system has been down for over a year now and I get an emails constantly (spam now)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Gmail does not recognize periods in personal email accounts. You could have a dot after every letter and it still wouldn't matter. Is it a work email? Nobody else can have that email account, dot or not, unless it's a separate work or organizational account where the dots are recognized.
    This is a interesting read.. I was not aware of this change and I think its completely stupid lol.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This is a interesting read.. I was not aware of this change and I think its completely stupid lol.
    It's been like that for a long time as far as I know. When I signed up for gmail many years ago that was still the case. Someone could enter your email as f.i.r.s.t.l.a.s.t@gmail and it would still get to you if your address was firstlast@gmail.

So if someone is getting another person's email, it's not because of the dots because you own every version of that email address, regardless of dot frequency - nobody else would have been able to sign up with any dot-variation of it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-16-2019 at 12:18 PM.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I have about 8 different people with a similar name as mine, somehow using my email or a version of my email (maybe with dots) and I get a ton of emails for them. Car service appointments, Netflix, even Tinder.
    I don't know what their actual email addresses are, or how that many people can keep getting it wrong when they register for things.
    Edit to add it's Gmail.
    Last edited by The_Penguin; 12-16-2019 at 06:19 PM.

My Ride
    This and that.

My gmail account has same shit. I constantly get emails intended for someone with a very similar email address out of BC who is apparently into construction and there are quotes and invoices being sent.

Also my name (both first and last) is also now of someone's who's a pretty popular singer so I get emails intended for that person for show booking enquiries all the time.

I just ignore them all I guess.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I've been getting emails for about two years now for some bloke in England. I honestly assumed it was all part of some long con spam service, but it's possible he just doesn't know his own email address. I get emails confirming all his dentist appointments, emails from family, etc. Pretty consistently too.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast