Quantcast
How stressful is your job? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How stressful is your job?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remind me again, what does stress feel like?

15 10.34%
  • Minorly stressful. The people I work with occasionally frustrate me.

70 48.28%
  • Quite stressful. It literally gives me headaches.

34 23.45%
  • Very stressful. I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about work.

26 17.93%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How stressful is your job?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't believe it's been a decade since I heard that word. I would only assume plant turnarounds are even more stressful now since downtime probably = end of company.
    Yah. The last one I went thru, I was made a coordinator for one of the units. By far the most stressful few weeks of my life thus far. Good experience tho.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Lariat

For me it's a 4 leading up to/during Stampede. The rest of the year ~2.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Very low stress for me overall, punctuated by occasional moments of stress that are likely unavoidable in most jobs.

I'll never understand people who work crazy high stress jobs, no amount of money is worth taking what might be years off your life and dramatically increasing your risk to virtually every health problem IMHO. Each to their own though, and I realize not everyone always has a choice.

My Ride
    ute

pressure is a privilege, breh.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Before changing careers two weeks ago, on a scale of 1 to 10, it was 12. The responsibility of maintaining an aircraft and not killing everyone onboard is high enough on its own, but add in all the ancillary bullshit that accompanies it, along with constantly changing shift work that means no proper sleep pattern, it's just a stress filled nightmare. There's a reason my old field is getting desperate for qualified people, but of course not desperate enough to pay more than a car dealership mechanic.

At my new job, on the same scale, maybe 1.

Pressure makes diamonds, right?? RIGHT?!?!?

My job on any given day is quite stressful, sometimes I overthink and get stuck in my own head making it very stressful.

Our company runs very lean, so the day to day can get extremely chaotic, add in the fact that the executive teams have began micro managing and want to know what other teams are doing at all times. We have meetings for meetings that we just met about.

Plus given my role and seniority in the org structure, there is an expectation of after hours work with no personal benefit, we are a 24/7 business.

There are days I consider going back to school to change industries. Or pick up a trade. Who knows, playing it out for now.

My stress really dropped off when I learned to just shut off thinking about work when not actively working. Made life so much easier.

I'm on call all day every day (ops only run about 7 am till 6 pm or so) but I find it easy to shut off when not in the office or on a call outside of office hours.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

2-3 depending on project lifecycle, previously I have lived in the 3 and 4 environments and found it wasn’t for me. I’ve found a good mix now and prefer to keep a healthy balance and find good ways to distress outside of work on those 3 days.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Next to no stress.

About the only stress I have is dealing with the idiots, but I think that comes with any job.

Helps that my Wife is extremely successful and we have zero debt.

Stress is exactly why I resigned from TELUS after 26.5 years there. Current job has as much stress as I introduce I to it. Am subbing to 2 companies and turning down work from other companies is a good problem to have.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Before changing careers two weeks ago, on a scale of 1 to 10, it was 12. The responsibility of maintaining an aircraft and not killing everyone onboard is high enough on its own, but add in all the ancillary bullshit that accompanies it, along with constantly changing shift work that means no proper sleep pattern, it's just a stress filled nightmare. There's a reason my old field is getting desperate for qualified people, but of course not desperate enough to pay more than a car dealership mechanic.

At my new job, on the same scale, maybe 1.
    I’ve been an “AME” with the government aviation circus for over 10 years now. All my aircraft have had no more than 2 people in it, but the same principle applies, flight safety is the same. I might have been a 4/10 at the most even while deployed, its all about how one perceives pressure. Now that I have moved into a managerial position its gone down to a 2/10 at the most.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    I’ve been an “AME” with the government aviation circus for over 10 years now. All my aircraft have had no more than 2 people in it, but the same principle applies, flight safety is the same. I might have been a 4/10 at the most even while deployed, its all about how one perceives pressure. Now that I have moved into a managerial position its gone down to a 2/10 at the most.
    The military is very much different from civil aviation though, in every single respect. How many techs do you have per airplane?

My Ride
    Trucks

It changes daily, but during my on-call week it wouldn't be uncommon to be driving out several hours from home, at 2am in bad weather, to work on 600v equipment operating at high pressures, sometimes involving nasty chemicals or high in the air, and be alone while freezing my nuts off or in high temperatures. Over the years you get accustomed to performing emergency mechanical work, so now days its the people problems that I can't fix (legally) with a hammer that causes the most stress. One day I may test the legality part of this.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Maxwell? Is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Maxwell? Is that you?
    No, just another sucker.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yes I find it stressful. Mainly in that every 4-6 months I never know where I'll be working and never know if the contract is being renewed until the last day of work.

I'm nearing the point where I'd rather stock shelves and coast.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Very low stress for me overall, punctuated by occasional moments of stress that are likely unavoidable in most jobs.

I'll never understand people who work crazy high stress jobs, no amount of money is worth taking what might be years off your life and dramatically increasing your risk to virtually every health problem IMHO. Each to their own though, and I realize not everyone always has a choice.
    Overall Stress = money stress + work expectations stress + home life stress.

If you take away or dramatically reduce the "money stress" component of the equation, your overall stress level might be lower. Also, having financial resources reduces the stress you feel about work.

What shortens peoples' lives is when they have high stress, financially rewarding jobs, but still make bad money decisions.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Weirdly my latest promotion brought LESS stress. My new team is much larger, but because of that and how good they are to deal with, I actually get to play with process, improvements, training, etc a lot more now. In my last job I had a lot of operational stress and inter-departmental BS to deal with. So while I only had the 4 direct reports the overall stress was higher.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Audi

Minor stress only because I've dealt with worse. Left oil/gas and Alberta for a better quality of life. So far, it's been good. The people around me are stressed as fuck though and don't understand how I'm not freaking out. Little do they know that working a 9-10 hr day is less than what I did in Calgary!

Edit: I'm Vendor/contract management for IT.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    Weirdly my latest promotion brought LESS stress. My new team is much larger, but because of that and how good they are to deal with, I actually get to play with process, improvements, training, etc a lot more now.
    Had the same experience once. Promoted to have a lot more responsibilities, but found it was less stressful because it was a better fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast