Quantcast
Entry Level/Mid Range Winter Rims - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Entry Level/Mid Range Winter Rims

My Ride
    Family Hauler

In response to Mistu (quote didnt work?)

Steelies and hubcaps on a brand new lexus is350

I get the logic in general terms, but would you really put that one a new 60-70k car and look like a doofus to save 300 bucks

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Also worthy of mention that after awhile those steel rims are going to rust and then they will really look shit.

Looked up costco wheels to see if they had any options for me. Nope only steel rims.

Name:  snipcar.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  28.6 KB

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I saw a white Model 3 on steelies outside of Earl's Tin Palace last year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think @tirebob has some pretty reasonably priced rims that look decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

My question is. What's the advantage of buying a more expensive TSW/Niche vs a Replika/Fast?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    My question is. What's the advantage of buying a more expensive TSW/Niche vs a Replika/Fast?
    There will generally be more appealing styling options and more "modern" styles. Also much more likely to be lighter and better fabrication.
    My stock Lexus wheels are so fucking heavy I think they must be lead or depleted uranium. The Enkei I bought for summers are several pounds lighter, each.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I'd say wheel designs/styles. Most of the Replika/Fast winter wheels are pretty plain/boring. And people running TSW/Niche for winter got money to burn. Some people run those wheels for summer setups.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    And people running TSW/Niche for winter got money to burn.
    I am concerned about structural integrity in case I have a meeting with the Sage Hill Rock or its cousins.

Are you saying that one could potentially pick up more than 6 women in a Honda Fit if one had TSW/Niche wheels?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I am concerned about structural integrity in case I have a meeting with the Sage Hill Rock or its cousins.

Are you saying that one could potentially pick up more than 6 women in a Honda Fit if one had TSW/Niche wheels?
    I bent one of my Niche rims on a pothole on Country Hill Blvd a few months back. Took it to a place to fix it. When they got the tire off it had a 9" crack down the centre....basically a throw away at that point.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I have Niche rims for my wagon which is rarely driven in the winter and I found one of the lips was bent after installing the rims last winter. It has since been repaired but my OEM rims have never been damaged structurally and they see the most miles.

Personally, I would stick with OEM rims if given the opportunity as they are typically better quality or simply take more abuse then a lot of aftermarket options.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    golfR

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I have Niche rims for my wagon which is rarely driven in the winter and I found one of the lips was bent after installing the rims last winter. It has since been repaired but my OEM rims have never been damaged structurally and they see the most miles.

Personally, I would stick with OEM rims if given the opportunity as they are typically better quality or simply take more abuse then a lot of aftermarket options.
    Where did you get it repaired and what was the cost?

Really it is more about production methods more than brand. Just like anything, you pay more for the brand recognition even within items produced by the same methods. In short, the cheapest is gravity pour casting, then moving up to low pressure castings then moving up to flowform/rotary forged (same thing different name) then full forged.

Now all this said, IDGAF if your wheel is forged or cast.... You drive something weighing multiple thousands of pounds at speeds and if you hit a hard edge hard enough to compress the tire far enough drive the lip into the obstacle, you are going to hurt something. We fix shit tons of forged wheel lips that are bent as well as cast wheels, not matter what anyone tries to tell you. I am not saying a premium build will not have a better chance at surviving catastrophic failure under specific conditions, but impacts fuck shit up and you have to expect that.

Surprising maybe to many, but the wheels I have had the most success with as durable winter options that are cheaper and cheerful are the RTX line and the DAI line. Fast as well are seeming decent enough. I have sold literally 10's of thousands of these wheels over the years and they have no more issues than any OEM rims I have ever used in regards to bends and breaks on bumps. Besides, if you hit something so hard that you fuck it up, it is nice to know a replacement might be the close to the same cost as a repair would be.

That said, I am happy to take as much money as somebody wants to spend on a set of wheels that makes them happy or feel better about what they like. I just try and approach things for the client how I would do it myself.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I am hoping that most people know that the production method is related more to weight than strength.

Flow Formed Fast wheels seem to hit the cost vs weight vs style vs value proposition pretty good. Canadian company to boot.

Name:  IMG_5577.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  81.3 KB

My Ride

We could be twinsies. Also impressed they opened up the entire shop just for you.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    I am hoping that most people know that the production method is related more to weight than strength.

Flow Formed Fast wheels seem to hit the cost vs weight vs style vs value proposition pretty good. Canadian company to boot.

Name:  IMG_5577.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  81.3 KB
    Truth... Yes it is stronger with the better methods but most companies use them to reduce the amount of metal used in the wheels while retaining strength rather than just a beefier wheel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2