Quantcast
SNC-Lavalin - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SNC-Lavalin

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Don’t blame SNC. Blame the morons who keep voting for the guys who enable them.

SNC nonsense is the symptom. Canadians are the disease.

As per usual.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

WSP will be a close second.
    Who are they? They are rebranded GENIVAR - a Quebec company (le shock) who became embroiled in le controversy due to... Wait for it... Le bribes!

So they bought WSP while they were being caught and decided that name sounded better because it wasn't currently under a scandal. Since then they've been buying les competitors all over the place. Most recently, Golder.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Deferred prosecution agreements have been advocated as way to resolving a lot white collar cases. They're cheaper to long, drawn-out proceedings and happen a hell of a lot faster.

It's basically another way to plea bargain. Not unlike those plea bargains where someone pleads guilty to a charge and the Courts make them pay a fine and do 300 hours of community service, for example.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea. The fact that we don’t prosecute people to the fullest extent of the law for crimes is a huge problem in this country.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yea. The fact that we don’t prosecute people to the fullest extent of the law for crimes is a huge problem in this country.
    SNC self-reported the bribes, which is part of the reasoning for DPAs. Otherwise, they could've just buried it and started an anti-corruption program to make it look like they were being proactive.

Under a criminal conviction, SNC would've been barred from bidding on any federal projects. One would argue that that is a fair penance for committing the bribes, but you'd also have to weigh that against how many people are effected by their ineligibility. That would include countless engineers, construction, trades, admins, etc.

DPAs are supposed to incentivize self-reporting because it allows a financial and reputational hit that is shouldered by the company itself, rather than by the employees who (likely) had no role in the malfeasance of their executives.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    SNC self-reported the bribes, which is part of the reasoning for DPAs. Otherwise, they could've just buried it and started an anti-corruption program to make it look like they were being proactive.

Under a criminal conviction, SNC would've been barred from bidding on any federal projects. One would argue that that is a fair penance for committing the bribes, but you'd also have to weigh that against how many people are effected by their ineligibility. That would include countless engineers, construction, trades, admins, etc.

DPAs are supposed to incentivize self-reporting because it allows a financial and reputational hit that is shouldered by the company itself, rather than by the employees who (likely) had no role in the malfeasance of their executives.
    I can’t describe in words how deeply I disagree with literally everything you have said.

fact.

I can’t describe in words how deeply I disagree with literally everything you have said.
    Preach brother.

Signing a DPA should disbar a company from bidding on any gov projects for a set amount of time. As otherwise, there is clear self interest at play for the gov to go DPA as well. It's effectively a legal form of bribery.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

lol if people don't understand that SNC not only paid bribes to get awarded contracts, but they paid bribes to get DPA, paid bribes to win influence with the PMO, etc.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

The lesson here, which can be applied to most things, is don't be poor.

My Ride
    V8s

Word.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

I will say the same thing I told my inlaws as their position is similar. The DPA and the ability for them to continue to operate does affect countless engineers/construction/trades/admins, but it's the ones that work at other companies like one of the ones I work at and many others.

In a free market if we were to crush SNC then another firm, like mine, would fill that void. The employees of SNC would have no problem finding work at any other firm.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone who argues that corruption is a net positive to society is not someone I'd like to engage with.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

It's been shown time and time again that SNC is untouchable, right up to the PMO level. They've been operating in Quebec for over 100 years, and the Quebec pension manager has like 20-25% stake in the company.

Even if they do wrong, people look the other way. They're essentially the Quebecois Mafia doing dirty work, and so intertwined with the community that they're instead beloved. Like mobsters giving away turkeys, SNC keeps the decision-makers happy.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    ute

Canadians are a bunch of beta bitches.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I don't often read posts that make me want to rage vomit. Well done.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m half wondering if that is just a straight up troll attempt.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Best one in a long time.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

No, it's a pretty succinct summary of the reasoning behind DPAs. That's literally the argument for them.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

29m fine for a 128m project. Still probably profited.
    That's the fucked up part of this nonsense. You get these NDP type voters who just equate tax revenue=service. It's clear as day here though, even if you don't understand the basic concept of bureaucracy, it's clear that tax payers just paid for the bribe on top of the construction costs(that were already wildly inflated). How are so many tax payers happy about this type of thing?

That's a giant misnomer. Engineers, construction trades, admins, etc. Would all be needed by whichever contractor wins the bid. Said contractor would just be sub-contracting those same people for the project, they just wouldn't be paid by SNC.
    Last edited by Misterman; 05-25-2022 at 05:43 AM.

Most people can't figure out their own finances, let alone how gov't collects revenue. People still believe Alberta gets more equalization than we give.

Propaganda works wonders.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast