Quantcast
Formula 1 2020 Pre-Season Discussion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2020 Pre-Season Discussion

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Formula 1 2020 Pre-Season Discussion

I thought I'd start a chat and shit talk thread for F1 while we wait.

What were peoples thoughts on the 2019 season..? I did not watch as much as i would have liked. This might change in 2020 as I might get one of those android boxes.
    I don't think Hamilton won it as much. It was a case of Ferrari fucking it up... A LOT.

The midpack fights were good. I wish there would show that more. Or offer a second video channel where the focus is more on that.

Some interesting news articles out F1 teams rejecting the 2020 Tires.

Will Hamilton move to Ferrari eventually..? I think he will, every driver would like to have Ferrari on their resume. It might be good experience for Ferrari, but what type of role would Hamilton play with the rise of little master Le Clerc?
    Will Bottas become more focused? I hear he is going through a separation.

Ticktum joins Williams as a development driver. Will be interesting to see how the team plays out in 2020. I hope they do better.

Who will be to watch out for next season..?

Edit: Aww Crap, mods please move to F1 thread section..

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Will we be able to stream F1 from the official app in 2020? I can't justify getting a TV package just to watch F1.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Lots to talk about. Let's start with the easy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will we be able to stream F1 from the official app in 2020? I can't justify getting a TV package just to watch F1.
    I think we will be able to, although the F1 app is a little wonky still, and no 4K. Not that there was 4K available anyways. TSN still hasn't announced anything, probably because the new contract must allow F1 to sell streaming services. I'm literally waiting for the announcement to cancel my Canadian TV subscription.

Now, for all the fun stuff.

2019, thought Hamilton really cemented his GOAT title. I don't think I've seen so few mistakes/close to perfection as Hamilton and Merceds this year aside from the hilarity German GP outlier. So yea, Ferrari definitely lost it with their stupidity, but they needed to be perfect to have a chance at Merc/Ham combo. I don't think I've ever seen so few mistakes from driver/team while pushing hard in the nearly 3 decades I've been watching this sport, certainly Ferrari has been dominate, but never close to perfection. So Ferrari didn't lose it from fucking up, I think they would've lost anyways. Ferrari made it look like a landslide victory with their stupidity.

Being a McLaren fan, it's been a long fucking time coming where we're finally semi-competitive. Midfield? Sure, better than dead fucking last. The switch from Honda was painful, 2 years of the worst powertrain package in F1, and all of a sudden they have power and reliability. Typical McLaren, just fucking shit timing. Seeing them go back to Mercedes in 2 years, let's hope Mercedes is still Mercedes and not another shitty timing deal again. Not sure if McLaren has what it takes to take on RBR next year as the tail end of the front runners, but here's hoping. I want to see regular podiums.

I think Hamilton will eventually move to Ferrari with Toto. He wants to finish off his career as the undisputed GOAT, winning championships across 3 teams will definitely do that. Ferrari won't be able to do that without Toto (just like they couldn't do it without Brawn back in the day). Also, I would like to see the conflict within die hard Italians cheering for a black guy.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Saw an article where Binotto gave Vettel until about Mid season in 2020 to prove that hes worth keeping. This probably means he will spin out on the opening lap on race 1.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Also, I would like to see the conflict within die hard Italians cheering for a black guy.
    They have had to do it in soccer for a while, it was a rocky start but got better.

I am more interested in the fact that this is actually happening. It took them long enough to not have an Italian driver in their history, I never ever thought they would have brought in Hamilton as a black man.

Guess it took the company being taken over by Elkann (who is of Italian descent, but is an American) and Camilleri who is actually Maltese for this to happen. Management of Ferrari is largely still Italian, but this is obviously another realization that the old way isn't necessarily the right way.

I mean you could say that they they got of endurance racing in the 70's because they got stuck in their ways and got beat by people who decided to do what it took to win, like Ford and Porsche.

I never thought Toto would go to Ferrari with him, but I guess that would make sense. I had always wondered what would happen to Mercedes in 2021 as the team and car was largely due to Ross Brawn, not to take anything away from Toto.

I am curious what this does to the driver market. Russell logically comes up to Mercedes at that point? Does Bottas stay and try to win a championship there, or where does he go?

Leclerc is obviously at Ferrari for several years now. It seems that Verstappen and Ricciardo get "stuck" where they are for a few more years because of it. I think Sainz and Norris are the right combination and I think it looks incredibly positive for McLaren next year and beyond.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Saw an article where Binotto gave Vettel until about Mid season in 2020 to prove that hes worth keeping. This probably means he will spin out on the opening lap on race 1.
    I don't know what happens to Vettel after next year. If he doesn't improve from this year then I don't know where he is going.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Interesting. Theres no doubt Vettel is talented but last couple years he has been far from greatness

I really don't know what i'd do if ham actually goes to Ferrari.

I would be maximum levels apprehensive and conflicted.

Honestly I really hope the rumors are not true.

The story is to juicy for it not to be though. How am I going to cheer for a driver but not the team?

On a side note, who else is going to Vietnam 2020!!
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Grimace

I had thought williams picking up ticktum was a big clown move. Must have lots of $$$ backing him.
    I am expecting, hopefully, that vettel picks up his form 2020. Might hang it up for 2021 though, who knows. Expecting many big moves. If ham or someone older goes to ferrarri I can imagine further clashes as leclerc improves further.
    Just need to free up a seat at merc to see what russel can really do.

Thought this was good
    https://streamable.com/j1rhk

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

The biggest problem I see with Toto and Lewis going to Ferrari is that Toto is a shareholder/owner(30% of the motorsports division), and that could throw a wrench into things. Ferrari would likely need to compensate him for the bath he'd take selling his shares, and then having to give him shares as well as that's been his business model since the Williams days.

Definitely an inquiring story for 2021, but it would likely have to happen soon, as there's gardening leave and transitioning time to account for.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    The biggest problem I see with Toto and Lewis going to Ferrari is that Toto is a shareholder/owner(30% of the motorsports division), and that could throw a wrench into things. Ferrari would likely need to compensate him for the bath he'd take selling his shares, and then having to give him shares as well as that's been his business model since the Williams days.

Definitely an inquiring story for 2021, but it would likely have to happen soon, as there's gardening leave and transitioning time to account for.
    Both Toto and Lewis' contracts run to the end of 2020. There's no gardening leave, that's usually reserved for early contract exits. I mean, they could tell Toto to stop coming to work for the season, but that'd be retarded.

Toto wouldn't take a bath on the shares. He bought in when Hamilton joined. That team was midfield the year before. He'd make a killing on it.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Ah, I forgot about expiring contracts which means no gardening leave.

But by 'bath', I meant he would have to sell them back at a discount to leave. If Mercedes knows he wants/going to leave, then they can offer him a lower price since he won't be able to work for Ferrari if he has shares in another competitor. He's definitely going to make a big return on his investment, but just not the peak price.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

LeClerc just siged a 5 year contract with Ferrari..Vettle getting the meat sweats me thinks...

Random thought came to mind... Could a Tesla be a safety car at a GP..?

Name:  cfjo5rgmzo641.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  83.2 KB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Random thought came to mind... Could a Tesla be a safety car at a GP..?

Name:  cfjo5rgmzo641.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  83.2 KB
    Tesla won’t be a safety car any time soon for a variety of reasons.

1. Mercedes pays for the privilege. It’s a promotional cost.
    2. They have to supply the safety car, medical car, and a variety of support cars. From sports cars to wagons to SUVs.
    3. The cars need to drive flat out lap after lap during the SC period.

Tesla doesn’t pay for marketing, doesn’t have enough models to support all the needs, and most importantly doesn’t have a car (yet) that can lap for long periods of time at full tilt.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Max extended with Red Bull

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Max extended with Red Bull

Im very pleased with this as a Honda fan but quite suprised that Max committed so early even though it makes sense to stay as he's the undisputed #1. Will be interesting to see where Hamilton goes... i bet he stays with Mercedes.

My Ride
    XT6

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    Im very pleased with this as a Honda fan but quite suprised that Max committed so early even though it makes sense to stay as he's the undisputed #1. Will be interesting to see where Hamilton goes... i bet he stays with Mercedes.
    Without question Max has a performance clause in his agreement.

Leclerc to the end of 2024 is a big statement. Vettel #2

Anyone been to the Spanish GP?

I'll be in barca for a match the same weekend. I was thinking about picking up Saturday pass to see Quali. Racing is always better on tv lol.

Thoughts?
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’ve been twice. If you don’t know Spanish, figure out the trains on the first day so you’re not confused as fuck. I cabbed it to and from on Friday and Saturday and was lost as shit trying to get back because there are barely any cabs after the race. Nobody speaks English in Montmelo where the track is. Didn’t want to go the wrong train as everyone was taking different trains to leave. Took 2 hours to find a cab only to get fucked on their insane rates to get me outta there. Something like 200 euros. Fucking supply and demand.

I’ve done grandstand A and L. A has the best view of the track IMO if you want to see the pinnacle of f1 cars. The top speed to nothing for turn 1 is just incredible. Great passing zone too thanks to DRS now, I sat here before the days of DRS. L you see a lot of the track but it’s a slower section and further away from the cars.

Barcelona is awesome for partying. Don’t expect to sleep the entire weekend haha. Naps at the track ftw. The sun is killer, I was Wesley snipes dark after each weekend.

Edit - bring comfy shoes. It’s a long walk from the track to the train station in the next village.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

F1 monitoring situation in China.. April GP... If it spreads... maybe F1 might 'duck' this one out..?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51294416

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast