Quantcast
Vape? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vape?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Vape?

Hi Guys,

Lots of crap in the news recently about people dying and stuff from some contaminated juice and crap, but I have some questions regarding safety and recommendations.

My dad has been a smoker since his teens (now 64) and he needs knee surgery. The doctor said he would not operate on him as long as he smokes, so he needs to quit. He has been "trying" to quit for years, but he still does 5-7 cigarettes a day. He has 1 year to quit before he has to see the doctor again, and I don't think he has the will power to do it cold turkey. Previously I have suggested vape as a method, but with some of the bad news recently, I don't know what's safe anymore.

I watched the Netflix show recently on Juul and their said that their setup is different from others and how it does deliver a high dose of nicotine, so it feels much like smoking, thus making it easier to actually quit. At least in the show they said it does work for people vs other products as the dose is high enough to make it comparable. Now, I know nothing about vape, or what's sold in Canada, but looking for advice for a product that could help my dad.

So, my questions are:

1. Is it actually safe?
    2. What device is recommended? Hopefully something that isn't expensive to keep operating, refillable and potent I think are the priorities.
    3. Are there juices that are just nicotine and nothing else? Don't want any crazy flavours or additives with unknown long term side effects.
    4. Would a vape place allow you to try a device/juice before you commit?

So yah, let me know what you think. My dad tried the patches and gums and stuff, but he never succeeds so an alternative has to give him the same feeling of smoking, without smoking.

Thanks!
    Last edited by eblend; 12-18-2019 at 06:46 PM.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I smoked for about 15 years, roughly one pack a day. I quit smoking over 4 years ago with vaping. I really liked vaping, it was very effective for quitting smoking. It gives the satisfying throat hit and heat that a cigarette provides. It's cheaper and I felt immediate change for the better after not inhaling smoke. I could breath, sleep better, my skin started to improve etc...

From what I've read there has been around a dozen vaping deaths? I believe most or all of them have been related to Chinese juice with THC in it, but I could be wrong. Vaping itself is also addictive, although I did find it an effective stepping stone for quitting nicotine completely. I would also suggest buying a good quality reliable vape unit that's going to last all day. A smoker will not quit if their vape unit dies halfway through the day.

I would recommend looking at mods with at least two 18650 batteries, which should be reliable for an entire day, something like this: http://www.digitalimports.ca/product_p/boost155w.htm

I'd recommend this tank: http://www.digitalimports.ca/product...kingtnk6ml.htm

And as for juice, some places around town will let you sit down and try a variety of juices before buying them. It takes some adjustment switching from smoking to vaping, a different method of inhalation. Your dad may cough a lot the first day trying to figure it out. Good luck.
    Last edited by sxtasy; 12-18-2019 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Added recommendations

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

You’ll want some sort of flavour... pg/vg + nic salt would be awful and probably reduce the likelihood of sticking to it. The issues with health seem to be liked to some sketchy grey market THC juices, not brand name vape juice. I’d probably just say stick to a juul. Large nic content, very professional production, and easy to use and able to buy anywhere

My Ride
    4x4

paging @barmanjay for the second time today...

Evolution (former sponsor) definitely lets you test drive.

On safety - stick to the common known good ejuices you'll be fine. Most are 10+ years without issues. We're 15+ years of 'vaping' with no real issues, flavors or not. If you go back to the popcorn lung thing - you need to realize cigarettes have the same VOC chemicals in the mg range... micrograms found in ecigs are less of a problem. Popcorn lung actually took grams...

The current issue is 100% directly related to illegal thc cartomizers and some idiot on youtube who figured out that vitamin e keeps the THC in suspension without separating - and its cheap and locally available unlike the usual material. So 1000 dope dealers started filling one time use cartomizers with hash and this crap... See the data yourself, 100% of biopsy tissues showed vitamin E. Nobody at any point has put vitamin E in e-cig cartridges...

Most transition pretty quickly... Drink a lot of water at first...

And stay the frick away from juul/vype. The concentrations are too damn high - results in more addiction not reducing.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I mean personally I stick to a dripper at 0.20ohm with 3mg juice... but for an old guy who has smoked that long, I say juul cause it is the equivalent to a true cig, and at that age and assuming a lifetime of smoking I’d say ease and nic hit has the best chance of sticking to it. Only reason, I wouldn’t recommend it to a younger, more eager adaptor

Oh, and if you want to get into the more advanced side of thing, Jay all the way. Currently going between his critfail and awesum sauce juices
    Last edited by ercchry; 12-18-2019 at 07:51 PM.

My Ride
    4x4

He said he was down to 5-7 a day... So we're not talking massive nic needs. Those juul/vypes are fucking insane high - you'd be way more likely to OD/get high than the lower 'usual' doses...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I guess that would come down to novelty of usage? I for sure take more “hits” with a vape than a normal smoker would of a cig... but the entire idea behind those is 1 drag = 1 drag, so yeah they’re super high cause of that, and well being salt based... which you’re starting to see in juices a lot now too though

My Ride
    4x4

Half the theory was to reduce the highs and lows, get a more consistent level and taper that level down... that's where the vape for smoking cessation really worked in studies (and back then it wasn't banned everywhere).

If you've only got your 2 minute vape outside at smoke breaks scenario - maybe the higher level works... but less chances you'll taper off.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, I still find the biggest challenge with those old school smokers though is hooking them on vaping to begin with, so juul, then into the more interesting stuff would probably yield the best results... but ya have to get them converted to begin with, so no tinkering (ease of use) and a nic hit they’re use to is why I’m leaning this way. For regular vapers though... no need for the juul crap.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Thanks guys for the info. I have only seen Vype around at gas stations and such so wasn't sure if Juul was sold here. I will have to look into it a bit. My dad is stubborn, so getting him off smokes is the primary objective. My fear is if it's more expensive than smokes, he will be much less inclined. I don't think he would want to do it constantly like I know many vapers seem to do, I think the idea is that if he feels a need to smoke, he can vape for a few minutes or whatever to get over the craving, and carry on until the craving hits again.

I doubt that after 40+ years of smoking he could get over nicotine, so as long as nicotine by itself isn't doing him much harm, I think it's okay to keep doing it?

My Ride
    4x4

Get Jay to set you up with a simple vape... Decent hardware to start with is the worst part... 30ml of juice is - what 5-6 packs worth, under 20$.

No reason to puff constantly if he doesn't want to... but that's how it often gets used because that one puff every 5-10 keeps a more consistent level vs a real smoke - then you taper the nic content down over time and maybe its a puff every 2-3 but you slowly get less and less...

and absolutely get him to evolution and try out a few flavors, find one he likes.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Why won't they do surgery if he is a smoker?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why won't they do surgery if he is a smoker?
    https://www.asahq.org/whensecondscou...risks/smoking/

My Ride
    V8s

Juul, no question. Also Juul pods are available in different nic concentrations, they're not all high. And it's cheaper than smoking.

There's no way I'd use one of the other vapes with the big boxes/batteries/etc. Aside from the ridiculous form factor, the amount of actual liquid/vapour you're inhaling with those is WAY more than a Juul, I can't imagine that's good for the lungs.

I vape Co2 THC daily and no adverse effects. If you pick high quality product they won't use the thinners that often cause issues such as "popcorn lung"

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

If ya vape, hoard some juice now! Industry update:

Glycerine Market Update:

Demand for glycerin continues to increase. One of the major drivers is its use in various cleaning, hand sanitizing formulations and pharmaceutical applications (cough and cold medication).
    Biodiesel production plummeting (less biodiesel means less crude glycerin and less refined glycerin), so US produced glycerin will be limited
    Coronavirus in India and Asia is having a direct effect on production. Shipments are slowing out of Indonesia and Malaysia (two of the largest manufacturers of USP Vegetable Glycerin).
    Due to the current state of affairs, glycerin demand has increased drastically while production has slowed nearly to a halt. Because of this prices from our suppliers have skyrocketed (hopefully temporarily). Therefore, we are forced to increase the prices of USP Vegetable Glycerin for the foreseeable future. We hope that the market returns to normal very soon, but in the meantime stay safe and we are wishing you all the best.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    If ya vape, hoard some juice now! Industry update:
    Attn: @Kloubek !!!

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Attn: @Kloubek !!!
    Thank you, sir.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Vape juices are already crazy priced at $29.99/60ml's already. Can't imagine what the price will go up to.

Time to make homemade juices LOL
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Time to make homemade juices LOL
    Actually I was recently looking at this... Any suggested suppliers?

Don't suppose that old g-money recipe is floating around out there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast