PHEV thread (potentially mega) - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: PHEV thread (potentially mega)

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ioniq 5 would still be my current choice for a full EV SUV
    How is that an SUV, isn't it the size of a golf? (Honest question, I saw one last week and it did not look big. At all.)

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    How is that an SUV, isn't it the size of a golf? (Honest question, I saw one last week and it did not look big. At all.)
    Deceptive shape. It's actually size of a Tiguan but less ground clearance.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

According to other forums, Hyundai dealerships have been taking pre-orders for 2023 Tucson HEV/PHEV since February but ordering system is still not open.
    There's reports that they won't even make the PHEV for 2023 MY.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just a programming note. This is the PHEV thread, not the EV thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Finally looking to get into an EV now.. or at least next year so we probably should get in line now and put a deposit down. Anyone else in the same boat? What are people ordering now?

We want a full EV SUV as the daily family car and then 1 gas guzzling fun car.
    I've got my name down for the A6 Avant (or Allroad, whatever comes to Canada) EV. Taycans are out of my price range. Etron is getting refreshed with some new tech/batteries and might be a consideration too. Not a lot of options for a family hauler with enough leg room/storage IMO.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

With how high gas prices are getting, I am really thinking of just getting the full EV F150 lightning. The money I would save in Gas more than pays for charging and the additional cost of the truck. I know i would probably be waiting 2 years to get it, but, I may have an inside line.
    Last edited by spikerS; 05-16-2022 at 05:43 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    With how high gas prices are getting, I am really thinking of just getting the full EV F150 lightning. The money I would save in Gas more than pays for charging and the additional cost of the truck. I know i would probably be waiting 2 years to get it, but, I may have an inside line.
    If you get the extended range F150 it comes with a free charger. Though you'd still have to install it I guess

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

We are kind of eyeing the i4 or iX. The first few email exchanges with sales suggest it's ~ 2 year wait. Likely a 2024 model.

What's the ETA on the A6 Advent? is it going to come in < $90K?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm really happy with the option of a Hybrid vehicle that can travel short to moderate distances on electricity alone after being plugged in. These Plug-in Hybrid-Electric Vehicles (PHEV's) are a totally different concept from pure electric vehicles and occupy a different market niche.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm really happy with the option of a Hybrid vehicle that can travel short to moderate distances on electricity alone after being plugged in. These Plug-in Hybrid-Electric Vehicles (PHEV's) are a totally different concept from pure electric vehicles and occupy a different market niche.
    If Toyota made a Sienna Prime AWD with the same 300hp drivetrain as the Rav4 Prime, I’d probably upgrade. PHEVs are pretty perfect for us, with the amount of road trips we now do for sports. In the city it’d be pretty much 100% electric only usage.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Since we picked up our PHEV Cayenne, we've put 1379km on it and still have 488km of range from the original tank of fuel. Our consumption is currently sitting at 1.9L/100km. The actual range on electrons only seems to be pretty close to 56km consistently, which easily covers popping over to daycare and most around town drives. I wish it was a bit faster at highway speeds, but otherwise it's pretty damn good in EV mode. Zero range anxiety and a turn of the sport chrono dial fires up the fun.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    Since we picked up our PHEV Cayenne, we've put 1379km on it and still have 488km of range from the original tank of fuel. Our consumption is currently sitting at 1.9L/100km. The actual range on electrons only seems to be pretty close to 56km consistently, which easily covers popping over to daycare and most around town drives. I wish it was a bit faster at highway speeds, but otherwise it's pretty damn good in EV mode. Zero range anxiety and a turn of the sport chrono dial fires up the fun.
    That thing makes me moist. I've never wanted a Cayenne as much until seeing that.

At some point would you worry about the age of the fuel? Can you force it into gas mode if you have say 6 month old fuel in there and want to use it before it starts degrading?

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

What's maintenance like on a PHEV? still annual oil change and all that stuff even if you are 90% EV mode?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

How does using gas engine for performance work when you need to get oil temps up before thrashing on it? Always wondered what precautions are made for PHEVs when engines never run, so temps are always cold. Do you need to warm it up before or does the excess battery/motor heat pump thru the system to warm the engine up a bit? Or do you need to waste gas to warm it up to prep the engine? Or is the engine and oil designed so you can thrash on it cold?
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    How does using gas engine for performance work when you need to get oil temps up before thrashing on it? Always wondered what precautions are made for PHEVs when engines never run, so temps are always cold. Do you need to warm it up before or does the excess battery/motor heat pump thru the system to warm the engine up a bit? Or do you need to waste gas to warm it up to prep the engine? Or is the engine and oil designed so you can thrash on it cold?
    None of that matters. It's a German car, and any problems resulting from thrashing a cold engine will most likely be those of the second owner once the warranty expires.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    At some point would you worry about the age of the fuel? Can you force it into gas mode if you have say 6 month old fuel in there and want to use it before it starts degrading?
    I do worry about that. You can force the engine on by turning the sport chrono dial to sport or sport+, or by switching the gear lever into manual mode. I think it would be worth burning out the fuel periodically so it doesn't go stale. In the winter I think the engine will run a lot more for the extra cabin heat that will be needed and higher rolling resistance of winter tires... we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    What's maintenance like on a PHEV? still annual oil change and all that stuff even if you are 90% EV mode?
    According to the dealer, they want to see it back at the same interval as a regular Cayenne... which I'll do as long as they are footing the bill and it's under warranty. Once we're passed that, I'll reassess. I can't imagine the wear and tear on the engine is anything when it doesn't even fire up for most trips.
    Also something I think about. The engine was supposed to be designed around cold thrashing (as well as autostart/stop). I have more mechanical sympathy as this will be a long term keeper for our family, so if I know I'm going to need the engine for a trip, I fire it early and get it fully warmed up before allowing it into "hybrid auto" mode where it's starting and stopping the engine all the time. There is a heat pump and there must be some kind of heat exchanger between the pump and engine coolant, but the interactions are opaque. I'd like to think you could warm the cabin and coolant with the heat pump before even getting in the car, especially if it's plugged in, I just don't know the details.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Also something I think about. The engine was supposed to be designed around cold thrashing (as well as autostart/stop). I have more mechanical sympathy as this will be a long term keeper for our family, so if I know I'm going to need the engine for a trip, I fire it early and get it fully warmed up before allowing it into "hybrid auto" mode where it's starting and stopping the engine all the time. There is a heat pump and there must be some kind of heat exchanger between the pump and engine coolant, but the interactions are opaque. I'd like to think you could warm the cabin and coolant with the heat pump before even getting in the car, especially if it's plugged in, I just don't know the details.
    So on paper, it's designed to handle it. Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    None of that matters. It's a German car, and any problems resulting from thrashing a cold engine will most likely be those of the second owner once the warranty expires.

What's funny is almost every car I've had (except a couple of leased ones), I had intentions of being a long haul keeper so I do take care of it as much as possible, but so far my average length of ownership is 2.5 years lol.

I want my E53 Cab to be a long term keeper, but the prospects of a CLE63 convertible that's roughly the same size as the E53 has piqued my interest, hence my interest in this thread.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So on paper, it's designed to handle it. Makes sense.

What's funny is almost every car I've had (except a couple of leased ones), I had intentions of being a long haul keeper so I do take care of it as much as possible, but so far my average length of ownership is 2.5 years lol.

I want my E53 Cab to be a long term keeper, but the prospects of a CLE63 convertible that's roughly the same size as the E53 has piqued my interest, hence my interest in this thread.
    CLE63 will be a 4cyl no? Basically whatever the C63 is getting turned to 11?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

After hearing this and doing a bit more thinking, we are leaning more towards a X5 PHEV now...

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast