Quantcast
PHEV thread (potentially mega) - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: PHEV thread (potentially mega)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    CLE63 will be a 4cyl no? Basically whatever the C63 is getting turned to 11?
    Yes. PHEV with a f1 mgu-h turbo, 200hp of electric power, 600hp awd total output with no lag. Seems perfect.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Yes. PHEV with a f1 mgu-h turbo, 200hp of electric power, 600hp awd total output with no lag. Seems perfect.
    Unfortunately not until they iron out the issues as the AMG GT 63 S is not seamless in power delivery as there appears to be pauses where the computers try to transition between engine and motor. Matt says it all at the end where he says it's more expensive, complicated, and just not as good as an M5 CS. Full ICE or EV as everything in-between is a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    I am really thinking of just getting the full EV F150 lightning. I know i would probably be waiting 2 years to get it, but, I may have an inside line.
    That is going to be a long wait. Do it!
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Bicycle

If Toyota made a Sienna Prime AWD with the same 300hp drivetrain as the Rav4 Prime, I’d probably upgrade. PHEVs are pretty perfect for us, with the amount f road trips we now do for sports. In the city it’d be pretty much 100% electric only usage.
    Why Sienna instead of Pacifica PHEV? Resale value?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I WISH RAV4 PRIME WAS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE. got used to yelling, sorry.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I WISH RAV4 PRIME WAS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE. got used to yelling, sorry.
    They are available for sale. Just stop being poor and you can afford one at inflated resale prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Why Sienna instead of Pacifica PHEV? Resale value?
    Pacifica is FWD only. I do like the Pacifica, looked into it when shopping but FWD ruled it out. Glad it did, there’s a battery recall and owners have to park outside for fire risk right now haha.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Unfortunately not until they iron out the issues as the AMG GT 63 S is not seamless in power delivery as there appears to be pauses where the computers try to transition between engine and motor. Matt says it all at the end where he says it's more expensive, complicated, and just not as good as an M5 CS. Full ICE or EV as everything in-between is a compromise.
    Watched snippets of the video, I could definitely see that being an issue driving in economy mode, then requesting basically race mode. That transition oddness wouldn’t happen in an EV obviously, and wouldn’t happen if he was already in the optimal mode.

As much as I want full EV, it just doesn’t work for the travel that we do routinely.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    They are available for sale. Just stop being poor and you can afford one at inflated resale prices.
    disagree. I don't think they are available for purchase at any price today in Calgary.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I rented an Outlander PHEV in LA last week.

Really bad use case thought, IMO. In Southern California, or any metropolitan area, I don’t know why you would get one. It had 25 miles of range, which literally only gets you halfway to your destination as everything in So Cal is an hour away. Even driving around Irvine to pick up In-n-out, half the battery depleted. The Outlander has the ability to fast charge, but I’m sure it is for a small burst as the battery (13.4KW) isn’t big enough to sustain fast charging for a long period.

While driving the gas engine acted as a generator and charged the battery while the electric motors propelled the car. There were a few occasions where I saw the graphic of the engine actually powering the wheels, but for the most part, it’s disconnected. Overall, the vehicle was lacking the power I thought it would have as I was expecting the Electric motors to complement the ICE. Maybe the RAV4 Prime implementation is different, but on the outlander, it really is an EV, with a small battery with an onboard generator.

The regen was weird. I put it on B5 (I think they might use Toyota’s system as the shifter looks like the one in a Prius) and it would regen about 70% and only when I applied brakes would it increase to 100% of the graph. It made me miss my 1 pedal driving where I can got days without using the brakes if I want to.

If you are driving far, I would just buy an efficient ICE and not bother with the PHEV. Sure you save gas, but you are also carrying around a bunch of extra weight with extra cost.

I guess I am in the shit or get off the pot camp. If you want to save money because gas is expensive, get a more efficient ICE vehicle or get a full EV.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Of all the PHEVs that you chose you literally chose the worst one haha. I researched these for my FIL who lives out in BC boonies, and the battery is so shitty it doesn’t have enough power to drive the motors. The engine fires up in generator mode to make electric energy half the time to supplement the battery.

FIL ended up getting an ICE forester because this pos just wasn’t worth it. I think any other PHEV would be a totally different experience.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For a long time outlander phev was the only thing you coukd walk in and buy. The previous gen was very unimpressive. I hear the new gen is slightly better.

RAV4 prime is a lot more compelling. Most phev are more compelling.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    For a long time outlander phev was the only thing you coukd walk in and buy. The previous gen was very unimpressive. I hear the new gen is slightly better.

RAV4 prime is a lot more compelling. Most phev are more compelling.
    Especially since hairdo has raised the incentive.

If the escape PHEV was awd, I’d own one. I had a line to one in a rural community dealer - they didn’t even have a deposit on it.

Only problem was it had odd options that priced it too high.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Of all the PHEVs that you chose you literally chose the worst one haha. I researched these for my FIL who lives out in BC boonies, and the battery is so shitty it doesn’t have enough power to drive the motors. The engine fires up in generator mode to make electric energy half the time to supplement the battery.

FIL ended up getting an ICE forester because this pos just wasn’t worth it. I think any other PHEV would be a totally different experience.
    Wasn’t that bad. Lol. You can force pure EV mode and it will do 100mph. Won’t get there fast, but is fast enough for the plebs. The other options were gas cars. $6.50 a gallon in cali. The pre purchase was over $7 at the rental counter.

So I ended up going with the Volvo XC60 Recharge Extended Range and I can talk about my experience a bit and field some questions. We looked a few other PHEV options such as the Lexus nx405h, BMW x3 idrive30e and the Lincoln Corsair. Ended with Volvo for a couple of reasons but the biggest one is that Royal Oak had a demo that was spec'd exactly to our liking so we could get quickly without waiting for months.

Some things I like:
    - Electric range and power are great, consistently get 69-71km of EV range. One pedal driving helps eek a bit more juice out of it as well. In Pure (electric only) mode, the power is adequate for stop and go traffic in the city. Wouldnt be overtaking on the highway however as it is not quite enough but Hybrid mode kicks in the gas motor when needed.
    - The combined power is astounding. 455hp/525ftlb is crazy for a crossover. Its heavy but is still very fast. mid 4sec 0-60r i am guessing with my butt dyno. About as comparable as my stock C43.
    - Google Automotive is slick. The whole car is Android and works quite well. This is the first time I have felt I didn't need Carplay or AA.
    - Its built well. Very well. Much better than the Lincoln and a better design that the Lexus. Having had a few Germans (BMW and Merc) i would say that the quality of the interior is better than both.
    - Its been through 2 tanks of fuel in the 2500km we have had it and it was only because it was on a 1500km road trip. Highway (engine only ) economy is 5.4l/100km
    - Not a CVT transmission

Some minor things i dont like:
    - Not a ton of room for a middle rear passenger as the battery bump is in the way. Its pretty obnoxious actually. But the side passengers seats have a ton of room and are quite comfortable. Consider it a 4 passenger unless they are all kids.
    - Im concerned about he AWD situation in the winter. I guess when its cold it runs primarily on the gas engine and kicks in the electric (rear) when it needs the traction. Some folks of commented that its delayed and actually cause some unpredictability when it kicks in. However the latest software update is supposed to have changed that so we will see when the snow flies. You can select AWD all the time but it needs to be done everytime you start the car and isn't an option to persist on startup. (However Pure mode can be which is pretty unique for PHEVs)
    - Volvo made the base MSRP to be $150 over the threshold for the iZEV rebate so we didn't get anything. Of course because it was on the lot, it was MSRP only. They did me well on the trade though so i was still satisfied.

Overall i would be hard pressed to find anything wrong with the car. It checks all of our boxes (especially the wifes, its hers) and drives great. I would definitely recommend it if your budget allows. I like it so much, my next car is going to be an S60 PHEV. Same drive train but a much lighter car. Should be a blast.
    Last edited by spike98; 08-08-2022 at 12:55 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    One pedal driving helps eek a bit more juice out of it as well.
    I've always wondered about this. One pedal driving, you're always converting energy to motion, or converting motion to energy. Each conversion isn't 100% efficient. Wouldn't it be more efficient to coast, and only convert motion to energy when braking? I believe VW and Porsche does this on their EVs by default, and priories coasting over regen. Our Sienna does a really low regen off throttle to simulate engine braking, while my E53 literally coasts for a long ass time and gets some silly speeds rolling down Stoney trail.

@benyl will probably give me the nerdy answer on this one haha.

I've always wondered about this. One pedal driving, you're always converting energy to motion, or converting motion to energy. Each conversion isn't 100% efficient. Wouldn't it be more efficient to coast, and only convert motion to energy when braking? I believe VW and Porsche does this on their EVs by default, and priories coasting over regen. Our Sienna does a really low regen off throttle to simulate engine braking, while my E53 literally coasts for a long ass time and gets some silly speeds rolling down Stoney trail.

@benyl will probably give me the nerdy answer on this one haha.
    It is optional so you can turn it off and coast. I can also simulate coasting but modulating the pedal to not be regen braking or accelerating. This is super intuitive with the way the gauge cluster is set up. When in Pure/Hybrid mode, it swaps the tach for a guage that shows you if you are using regenerative breaking, accelerating or are accelerating enough for the gas engine to engage. I have actually seen the range counter go up when driving and using one pedal driving. It may only be 2-3 KM over the course of a 15km drive but thats enough to make me feel like its worth it. My wife saw 9km of added range by going down Salmo pass. Plus i am saving a ton of brake pad/rotor wear.

When one pedal is off, it still does regenerate a bit on braking but only when the pedal is applied.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It is optional so you can turn it off and coast. I can also simulate coasting but modulating the pedal to not be regen braking or accelerating. This is super intuitive with the way the gauge cluster is set up. When in Pure/Hybrid mode, it swaps the tach for a guage that shows you if you are using regenerative breaking, accelerating or are accelerating enough for the gas engine to engage. I have actually seen the range counter go up when driving and using one pedal driving. It may only be 2-3 KM over the course of a 15km drive but thats enough to make me feel like its worth it. My wife saw 9km of added range by going down Salmo pass. Plus i am saving a ton of brake pad/rotor wear.

When one pedal is off, it still does regenerate a bit on braking but only when the pedal is applied.
    Yea, I have that gauge in both my cars too. When I coast, the miles remaining doesn't move (so same thing). I'm not debating regen isn't good, I'm just saying coasting would be more efficient. It's very hard to actually coast in the Sienna, and probably really annoying in any car that allows it by having just the right amount of throttle position to coast, where a bump in the road would upset it.

A well mapped car would have throttle off = coast, braking = regen, and hard hard braking = using brakes. So yea, barely any brake wear, while driving the most efficiency.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So I ended up going with the Volvo XC60 Recharge Extended Range and I can talk about my experience a bit and field some questions. We looked a few other PHEV options such as the Lexus nx405h and the Lincoln Corsair. Ended with Volvo for a couple of reasons but the biggest one is that Royal Oak had a demo that was spec'd exactly to our liking so we could get quickly without waiting for months.

Some things I like:
    - Electric range and power are great, consistently get 69-71km of EV range. One pedal driving helps eek a bit more juice out of it as well. In Pure (electric only) mode, the power is adequate for stop and go traffic in the city. Wouldnt be overtaking on the highway however as it is not quite enough but Hybrid mode kicks in the gas motor when needed.
    - The combined power is astounding. 455hp/525ftlb is crazy for a crossover. Its heavy but is still very fast. mid 4sec 0-60r i am guessing with my butt dyno. About as comparable as my stock C43.
    - Google Automotive is slick. The whole car is Android and works quite well. This is the first time I have felt I didn't need Carplay or AA.
    - Its built well. Very well. Much better than the Lincoln and a better design that the Lexus. Having had a few Germans (BMW and Merc) i would say that the quality of the interior is better than both.
    - Its been through 2 tanks of fuel in the 2500km we have had it and it was only because it was on a 1500km road trip. Highway (engine only ) economy is 5.4l/100km
    - Not a CVT transmission

Some minor things i dont like:
    - Not a ton of room for a middle rear passenger as the battery bump is in the way. Its pretty obnoxious actually. But the side passengers seats have a ton of room and are quite comfortable. Consider it a 4 passenger unless they are all kids.
    - Im concerned about he AWD situation in the winter. I guess when its cold it runs primarily on the gas engine and kicks in the electric (rear) when it needs the traction. Some folks of commented that its delayed and actually cause some unpredictability when it kicks in. However the latest software update is supposed to have changed that so we will see when the snow flies. You can select AWD all the time but it needs to be done everytime you start the car and isn't an option to persist on startup. (However Pure mode can be which is pretty unique for PHEVs)
    - Volvo made the base MSRP to be $150 over the threshold for the iZEV rebate so we didn't get anything. Of course because it was on the lot, it was MSRP only. They did me well on the trade though so i was still satisfied.

Overall i would be hard pressed to find anything wrong with the car. It checks all of our boxes (especially the wifes, its hers) and drives great. I would definitely recommend it if your budget allows. I like it so much, my next car is going to be an S60 PHEV. Same drive train but a much lighter car. Should be a blast.
    Great review, thanks. If my wife ever gets a new car this is on the list.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Disappointed this thread has not been certified mega.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The great thing about 1 pedal is that you can modulate. Coasting is about keeping speed so that the motor is neither re-generating or accelerating. No need for switches or other shit, it all on the fly with the right foot. I can go a whole day without using the brakes, but I use them enough so that the calipers don't seize (which happens to alot of EV owners).

The regen / gen status is predominant and in your face on the screen. So going down a hill (Like Shag), you can put the pedal in "neutral" where the slope of the hill will cause you to accelerate without using power, or you can slightly regen to maintain speed. That position is variable.

The right pedal in a one pedal car is interesting as it provides 2 functions. 1. It's an accelerator and 2. it is a speed setting. The two functions blend depending on what speed you are going and the slope of the terrain (or wind resistance).

/tech talk

I know the Mitsu PHEV I drove had a shitty implementation of regen where you would only get full regen when the brake were applied. Waste of energy.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast