Quantcast
PHEV thread (potentially mega) - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: PHEV thread (potentially mega)

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’m definitely interested in a PHEV in a few years, probably around when we have a child and want a nicer family vehicle. I wish there was as many options as there are in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m definitely interested in a PHEV in a few years, probably around when we have a child and want a nicer family vehicle. I wish there was as many options as there are in Europe.
    You will have a ton of options in a few years. Likely one from at least every manufacturer.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    The great thing about 1 pedal is that you can modulate. Coasting is about keeping speed so that the motor is neither re-generating or accelerating. No need for switches or other shit, it all on the fly with the right foot. I can go a whole day without using the brakes, but I use them enough so that the calipers don't seize (which happens to alot of EV owners).

The regen / gen status is predominant and in your face on the screen. So going down a hill (Like Shag), you can put the pedal in "neutral" where the slope of the hill will cause you to accelerate without using power, or you can slightly regen to maintain speed. That position is variable.

The right pedal in a one pedal car is interesting as it provides 2 functions. 1. It's an accelerator and 2. it is a speed setting. The two functions blend depending on what speed you are going and the slope of the terrain (or wind resistance).

/tech talk

I know the Mitsu PHEV I drove had a shitty implementation of regen where you would only get full regen when the brake were applied. Waste of energy.
    Seems like the perfect opportunity to bring back a 3rd penalty as a regen brake.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    You will have a ton of options in a few years. Likely one from at least every manufacturer.
    But will I be able to buy one or will they all get shipped to Ontario and Quebec…

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Porsche blends the regen into the brake pedal. The first part of the pedal travel is regen, then if you get deep enough into it the hydraulic system starts working. The brake by wire regen part of the pedal is a bit herky-jerky and takes some practice to get smooth. I think it's one of the aspects they spent a lot of time on and is very difficult to get it right, but they wanted the driving experience to be as close to the old way as possible. Tesla DGAF about the old way and it's way easier and cheaper to do one pedal and just leave the brake as hydraulic only.

But will I be able to buy one or will they all get shipped to Ontario and Quebec…
    Ooff. Touche'

You can always put a deposit on something that exists today but for the 2025 model year.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    Porsche blends the regen into the brake pedal. The first part of the pedal travel is regen, then if you get deep enough into it the hydraulic system starts working. The brake by wire regen part of the pedal is a bit herky-jerky and takes some practice to get smooth. I think it's one of the aspects they spent a lot of time on and is very difficult to get it right, but they wanted the driving experience to be as close to the old way as possible. Tesla DGAF about the old way and it's way easier and cheaper to do one pedal and just leave the brake as hydraulic only.
    This is very similar to how the volvo regen works with the hydraulic break however its smooth a butter. Its indistinguishable other than being able to see the regen take place on the dash gauge.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

They keep spying a Ranger PHEV, which would be awesome if it keeps the current towing capacity as well. But because my hopes are up, it'll probably never be sold here.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

you spelled RangeRover wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    you spelled RangeRover wrong.
    interestingly enough, RR is coming out with a PHEV.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Coasting is about keeping speed so that the motor is neither re-generating or accelerating.
    No. Coasting is about decelerating at a slower rate, maintaining momentum, while not converting energy to motion or vice versa. Maintaining speed, such as highway, you're always hovering between power or regen unless you're on the perfect light downslope where you're coasting. That isn't an issue anyways, cruise control takes care of that. When I'm comparing efficiency of coasting vs regen, I'm talking about urban driving. Example, I'm rolling up to a red light from a block away. Throttle off, I should be able to coast for most efficiency, and when light goes green accelerate again. One pedal, you'd have to have the right throttle position to find coast, otherwise you're regen then accelerate for some energy conversion loss. Not sure if that makes sense.

Another use I like with coasting is if I pass someone, I let it coast down back to the speed I want to maintain. Definitely more energy losses if I regen/decel and back to cruise to maintain speed. The question is how much?

The regen / gen status is predominant and in your face on the screen. So going down a hill (Like Shag), you can put the pedal in "neutral" where the slope of the hill will cause you to accelerate without using power, or you can slightly regen to maintain speed. That position is variable.
    How hard is it to stay in this neutral zone with the pedal? How much variance is there and if its' wide, does it make throttle response feel spongey?

Our Sienna does this too, it's relatively invisible at speed but it's brutal at slow speeds coming to a stop. Not brake enough then panic stop here and there like a Chinese driver haha.

And yea, I feel like the whole 1 pedal driving was created because it was cheaper to do, and now everyone is building systems to mimic it, with less efficiency.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

With new EV rebate scheme in the US, sounds like a lot of EV (that isn't made in US/Canada/Mexico) allocation can come our way.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    With new EV rebate scheme in the US, sounds like a lot of EV (that isn't made in US/Canada/Mexico) allocation can come our way.
    Darn the one I want is USA built I’m pretty sure.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Pacifica is FWD only. I do like the Pacifica, looked into it when shopping but FWD ruled it out. Glad it did, there’s a battery recall and owners have to park outside for fire risk right now haha.

Not PHEV but Han has spoken.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_1FVDMIzI8&t=2951s
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-08-2022 at 04:49 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Maybe he should’ve stayed dead…
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

How hard is it to stay in this neutral zone with the pedal? How much variance is there and if its' wide, does it make throttle response feel spongey?

And yea, I feel like the whole 1 pedal driving was created because it was cheaper to do, and now everyone is building systems to mimic it, with less efficiency.
    My car is old enough that I can choose the regen level. When I put it on low regen, I definitely use more electrons. I think that is why Elon doesn't let 2021+ owners change their regen level. Better for fleet efficiency.

I also can change the throttle response. There is nothing spongy. Most people who I've let drive my car end up using the right pedal as an on/off switch as it is such a subtle difference.

What's more efficient? I have no idea. DGAF either. I've learned how hard my car decels on regen and can totally judge when to just got full throttle off. I liken it to driving the old C63. You had so much torque that letting off slowed the car down a decent rate. I missed that when I went to the E63 where a turbo motor has no compression and you just keep coasting down the road.

It's funny, coming to a stop is the complete opposite of a regular car where as you get closer to a complete stop, you let off the brake. In the Tesla, you push the throttle to come to a gentler stop.

- - - Updated - - -

I though he was joking, but the guy is dead serious. He understands rage2 is all about family. He appreciates a man like rage2.

My Ride
    Bicycle

2023 Outlander PHEV lands in Nov (prob BC and Quebec only)

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/20...-this-november

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Mitsubishi has sold a lot of PHEV, dispute the previous version being pretty dated. If this is any decent improvement it'll sell.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Our Sienna does this too, it's relatively invisible at speed but it's brutal at slow speeds coming to a stop. Not brake enough then panic stop here and there like a Chinese driver haha.
    I think I've figured out why the Volvo experience is smooth compared the Cayenne. The Volvo uses a rear motor for the AWD system, where the Porsche puts the electric motor between the engine and the transmission. The advantage of the Porsche method is that it gets AWD all the time and can use the gears with the electric motor, but on decel as it comes down through the gears it causes the herky jerky braking at low speeds on the 3-2 shift as it's trying to slow the car with the MGU/transmission. There are pros and cons of both, but interesting that they've taken different approaches.

I think I've figured out why the Volvo experience is smooth compared the Cayenne. The Volvo uses a rear motor for the AWD system, where the Porsche puts the electric motor between the engine and the transmission. The advantage of the Porsche method is that it gets AWD all the time and can use the gears with the electric motor, but on decel as it comes down through the gears it causes the herky jerky braking at low speeds on the 3-2 shift as it's trying to slow the car with the MGU/transmission. There are pros and cons of both, but interesting that they've taken different approaches.
    Volvo has a drive mode for AWD all the time but of course the gas motor needs to run to power the front. No AWD on pure electric however the bonus is that there is no drive train loss running the electric through the engine. Haven't driven the Porsche but i did drive the BMW and the pure electric experience is poor because of the notable lack of power from the electric motor.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It’s probably software tbh. The sienna’s regen is decoupled from the engine on all 4 wheels and the transition to physical brakes is jerky, but just at low speeds. My e53 is like the Porsche, mgu coupled to the transmission and engine, downshifts, and the transition from mgu to physical brakes is seamless.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast