Quantcast
2019/2020 Ski and Snowboard Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2019/2020 Ski and Snowboard Thread

Default 2019/2020 Ski and Snowboard Thread

Figured as there isn't one started this year lol...

Its been an interesting early season and managed to get out just a few times, last being when the big dump of snow hit and going once just before the rain destroyed the lowers of Kimberly, Fernie and KH... and again at Pano when they opened the Summit a couple days later

I haven't been to Louise or Sunshine, but did hit up Castle a couple of times... same ole Castle, great snow but pretty much put on a Balaclava and glove/boot heaters to deal with the windchill.

Couple questions to throw out there...

1. I've only been to a couple US resorts... one being big-bear (garbage but hey its in So-cal) and Vail. If you were to spend time down in the US, where would it be? Jackson Hole, Tetons, Lake Tahoe, Sierras?

I'm kinda thinking of hitting up Sunvalley and Squaw...

2. A Proper one-Ski quiver? I have a couple year old set of Nordica NRGY 100s... then the enforcers came out. yada yada. Then I tried the Soul 7 HDs which I found pretty much amazing outside of speed and hardpack

what do you guys think are a good hard charging All Mountain?? I'm kinda leaning Volkl Mantra, K2 Mindbender or Salomon QSTs

My favorite ski's that I just wrecked last year were still my Bsquads. No rocker, all camber, barely sidecut and solid... pretty much barely besting my other favorite set of vintage ski's the Volkl Explosiv CMH

but I'm getting older... lol, so when I worse those Soul 7 HDs... 106 underfoot yet could carve and pivot easily in the piste... was very surprised. That said, younger me would say that side cut in powder is useless, and I want wide, stiff and camber with energy to compress and bounce with confidance.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Park City would be on my list for the US.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Baker
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I've been out a couple of times in the Okanagan. Apex mountain is pretty good right now, Mt. Baldy doesn't have a lot of snow. Planning to try out Manning park and maybe Silverstar and Big White this season. Really liking my new Burton Flight Attendant.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’d go to Jackson personally. Used to train in Park City all the time and it didn’t seem that great but was expensive and busy.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’d go to Jackson personally. Used to train in Park City all the time and it didn’t seem that great but was expensive and busy.
    "train" lol, god that sounds so lame.

In other news, the COP pipe is rocking. Just got home.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    Figured as there isn't one started this year lol...

Its been an interesting early season and managed to get out just a few times, last being when the big dump of snow hit and going once just before the rain destroyed the lowers of Kimberly, Fernie and KH... and again at Pano when they opened the Summit a couple days later

I haven't been to Louise or Sunshine, but did hit up Castle a couple of times... same ole Castle, great snow but pretty much put on a Balaclava and glove/boot heaters to deal with the windchill.

Couple questions to throw out there...

1. I've only been to a couple US resorts... one being big-bear (garbage but hey its in So-cal) and Vail. If you were to spend time down in the US, where would it be? Jackson Hole, Tetons, Lake Tahoe, Sierras?

I'm kinda thinking of hitting up Sunvalley and Squaw...

2. A Proper one-Ski quiver? I have a couple year old set of Nordica NRGY 100s... then the enforcers came out. yada yada. Then I tried the Soul 7 HDs which I found pretty much amazing outside of speed and hardpack

what do you guys think are a good hard charging All Mountain?? I'm kinda leaning Volkl Mantra, K2 Mindbender or Salomon QSTs

My favorite ski's that I just wrecked last year were still my Bsquads. No rocker, all camber, barely sidecut and solid... pretty much barely besting my other favorite set of vintage ski's the Volkl Explosiv CMH

but I'm getting older... lol, so when I worse those Soul 7 HDs... 106 underfoot yet could carve and pivot easily in the piste... was very surprised. That said, younger me would say that side cut in powder is useless, and I want wide, stiff and camber with energy to compress and bounce with confidance.
    I have the previous version of the Mantra. They can handle absolutely everything you throw at them but they are stiff as hell. The only weak spot for them is deep deep snow as they are not as floaty as a true powder ski. You pretty much need to be a very competent skier to use them to their full potential. It takes a ton of effort to engage them and they don't respond well to being lazy. You need to be on the edges, especially in steep technical terrain, which requires skiing pretty aggressively. The new Mantra M5 is supposed to be more playful I've heard but I haven't tested them - so stiffness may not be a problem with the new M5. Overall I think they're a good all-arounder but be prepared to work all day on them. My legs are usually pretty trashed by about 2pm.

If I was going to do an all mountain mantra I would go with the new Mantra 102.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    After talking to a few stores, and telling them my pref for the Old Explosiv, the 2009 Mantra and old Rossi Bsquad... the Mantra 102 is basically a 102 underfoot version of the old 96 (pre M4/M5 mantra) and is mostly a pure camber ski with traditional tail and just more scoop in the front.

Sounding like this may be the ski for me.

took a pair of M5's out... and for Panorama, they are killer. Just slightly narrower waist than the 102 but man these things hold edge well.

They charge very well... then I took out some Soul 7 HD's, which are completely different skis, but are so fast in teh glades...

damn skis

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    took a pair of M5's out... and for Panorama, they are killer. Just slightly narrower waist than the 102 but man these things hold edge well.

They charge very well... then I took out some Soul 7 HD's, which are completely different skis, but are so fast in teh glades...

damn skis
    The simple answer here is your need both. Seriously, I tried doing a one ski quiver and it's doable but not optimal. The mantra 102s are really strong skis that are great for most ski hill conditions but when really soft you would have more fun on the Soul7s.

The simple answer here is your need both. Seriously, I tried doing a one ski quiver and it's doable but not optimal. The mantra 102s are really strong skis that are great for most ski hill conditions but when really soft you would have more fun on the Soul7s.
    Thats where I was thinking I may grab a pair of QST 92 for those onpist hardpack days and then a good 100+ power centric all mountain

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

I've ridden Volkl for the past 15+ years, but picked up a demo pair of K2 Pinnacle 118s last year (118mm underfoot). I took them to Louise last weekend and found them to be incredible considering the size, they are far more maneuverable than I was expecting riding power in the trees, and very easy to handle in choppy conditions.

My Ride
    Z

Anyone in Japan or going? I head there tomorrow
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    That's awesome man, enjoy. Been watching a bunch of snowboard youtube videos from recent trips to Japan. Check out Snowboard Pro camp or Casey Willax for some nice Japow vids.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    Real down year here for pow. Stay north if you can.

My Ride
    Z

Yea it's been terrible
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter