Quantcast
Former Nissan CEO in Deep Dookie - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Nissan CEO in Deep Dookie

My Ride
    *The First*

Default Former Nissan CEO in Deep Dookie

So the Nissan CEO was arrested a month or two ago for alleged corruption etc in possibly trying thwart a potential Renault takeover.

Now I just read he's fled the country and reportedly made it to Lebanon!! Without an extradition agreement between Japan and Lebanon, he might just never go back to face his trial in Q2 of 2020.
    Crazy!

Pasted:
    Nissan's former chairman Carlos Ghosn said Tuesday from Lebanon he was not fleeing justice, but left Japan to avoid "injustice and political persecution" over financial misconduct allegations during his tenure leading the automaker.

Ghosn had been released on bail by a Tokyo court while awaiting trial, but was not allowed to travel overseas. He disclosed his location in a statement through his representatives that did not describe how he left Japan, where he had been under surveillance. He promised to talk to reporters next week.

"I am now in Lebanon and will no longer be held hostage by a rigged Japanese justice system where guilt is presumed, discrimination is rampant and basic human rights are denied, in flagrant disregard of Japan's legal obligations under international law and treaties it is bound to uphold," the statement said.

Japanese media quoted prosecutors speaking anonymously who said they did not know how Ghosn had left.

Nissan shareholders OK ouster of ex-chair Ghosn from board
    Nissan ex-chair Carlos Ghosn's release on bail approved by Japanese court
    Ghosn, who is of Lebanese origin and holds French, Lebanese and Brazilian passports, was arrested in November 2018 and expected to face trial in April 2020.

Prosecutors fought his release, but a court granted him bail with conditions he be monitored and could not meet with his wife, Carole, who's also of Lebanese origin. Recently, the court allowed them to speak by video calls.

Japan does not have an extradition treaty with Lebanon. It is unclear what steps authorities might take.

Ghosn has repeatedly asserted his innocence, saying authorities trumped up charges to prevent a possible fuller merger between Nissan Motor Co. and alliance partner Renault SA.

He is accused of underreporting his post-retirement compensation, and breach of trust in diverting Nissan money and allegedly having it shoulder his personal investment losses.

Lawyer denies involvement in escape
    During his release on bail, Ghosn had been going daily to the office of his main lawyer, Junichiro Hironaka, to work on his case, except on weekends and holidays.

Hironaka told reporters Tuesday afternoon he was stunned Ghosn had jumped bail, and denied any involvement in or knowledge of the escape. He said the lawyers had all of Ghosn's three passports and he was puzzled by how he could have left the country.

The last time he spoke to Ghosn was on Christmas Day, and he has never been consulted about leaving for Lebanon, Hironaka told reporters outside his law office in Tokyo.

Nissan board says chief has resigned, successor to be named
    Nissan paying $15M, Ghosn $1M to settle SEC fraud charges
    He said the lawyers still need to decide on their next action, besides filing a required report to the judicial authorities. His office was closed for the New Year's holiday in Japan.

"Maybe he thought he won't get a fair trial," Hironaka said, stressing that he continues to believe Ghosn is innocent. "I can't blame him for thinking that way."

He called the circumstances of Ghosn's arrest, the seizure of evidence and the strict bail conditions unfair.

A house in Beirut that is believed to belong to Ghosn. (Mohamed Azakir/Reuters)
    In the first official Lebanese comment on Ghosn's arrival, state minister for presidential affairs Selim Jreissati told the An-Nahar newspaper that Ghosn entered Lebanon legally through the airport with his French passport and his Lebanese ID.

Jreissati told the paper that in a meeting with Japan's deputy foreign minister, he presented a file to the Japanese authorities asking for Ghosn to be handed over to be tried in Lebanon according to international anti-corruption laws, of which Lebanon is a signatory. He added that since there was no official word from Japan and it was not yet clear how Ghosn came to Lebanon, the government there will take no formal stance.

Jreissati did not immediately respond to calls from The Associated Press.

The Lebanese General Security, which is in charge of border crossings and foreigners, said Ghosn had entered the country legally and there was no reason to take any action against him.

Ghosn had posted $14 million US bail on two separate releases. He had been rearrested on additional charges after an earlier release.

Earlier, Ricardo Karam, a television host and friend of Ghosn, told The Associated Press that Ghosn arrived in Lebanon on Monday morning.

"He is home," Karam said in a message. "It's a big adventure."

Karam declined to elaborate.

Faces 15 years in prison
    Nissan did not have immediate comment Tuesday. The Japanese automaker of the March subcompact, Leaf electric car and Infiniti luxury models has also been charged as a company in relation to Ghosn's alleged financial crimes.

Japanese securities regulators recently recommended Nissan be fined 2.4 billion yen (about $24 million Cdn) over disclosure documents from 2014 to 2017. Nissan has said it accepted the penalty and had corrected its securities documents in May.

The company's sales and profits have tumbled and its brand image is tarnished. It has acknowledged lapses in its governance and has promised to improve its transparency.

Another former Nissan executive, Greg Kelly, an American, was arrested at the same time as Ghosn and is awaiting trial. He has said he is innocent.

Hiroto Saikawa, who replaced Ghosn as head of Nissan, announced his resignation in September after financial misconduct allegations surfaced against him related to dubious income. He has not been charged with any crime.

Nissan results reflect falling sales, organizational turmoil
    New Nissan CEO promises to restore scandal-plagued brand
    The conviction rate in Japan exceeds 99 per cent and winning an acquittal through a lengthy appeals process could take years. Rights activists in Japan and abroad say Japan's judicial system does not presume innocence enough and relies heavily on long detentions that lead to false confessions.

The charges Ghosn faces carry a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison.

The other allegations against him involve payments to a Saudi dealership, as well as funds paid to an Oman business that purportedly were diverted to entities run by Ghosn.

Ghosn has said that the compensation was never decided, that Nissan never suffered losses from the investments and that all the payments were for legitimate business services.

Article link:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nis...anon-1.5411317

My Ride
    Bicycle

Whatever move he pulled, he did it on new year eve/day. One of the best day to pull it off in Japan.

My Ride
    golfR

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I really like that we still have interesting news like this. Was he smuggled out of Japan in a cello case? How tight is that fit? Did he have to stay in there all the way to Lebanon. or did they get him out as soon as the plane was airborne? Did he shit in there before he was removed? I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So he can do that, but the Huawei chick can’t? lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Carlos, international may of mystery!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I like it. Surprised to not see more high profile escapes like this with all the millionaires and billionaires trying to escape the law.

Big money and organization to smuggle him out for sure.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I really like that we still have interesting news like this. Was he smuggled out of Japan in a cello case? How tight is that fit? Did he have to stay in there all the way to Lebanon. or did they get him out as soon as the plane was airborne? Did he shit in there before he was removed? I love it.
    He was probably in a speaker box (on wheels) or something similar. Sounds like it was a band-setup. He was then whisked to a private jet which went to Turkey.

- - - Updated - - -

There is so much more to her story than we are told ....

My Ride
    Bicycle

Rumor that there are plans drawn up by MSS and agents standby in Vancouver to take her out to international water if things deteriorates further. But I bet Meng will fit into cello case much better than Carlos.

Does plane works like boats where if it leaves a country's air space, over international waters, it reverts back to country of registration of the plane?

So he could climb out the minute they leave Tokyo air space?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-31-2019 at 06:15 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If China wanted her back, she'd be back. No question.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

This.

I have watched enough tv to know she won’t make it within 50km of the US Boarder.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I think they rather have this all solved nicely/legally so it won't ruin Meng's international travel freedom in the future.

Carlos on the other hand, this move will really limit him to countries that doesn't have extradition treaty with Japan.

My Ride
    ute

I doubt Brazil would extradite him to Japan either way, would they?

Just like I doubt Canada would extradite a Canadian national to another country, regardless.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Just like I doubt Canada would extradite a Canadian national to another country, regardless.
    Do you really think that’s true lol, Trudeau would sell out a Canadian over pretty well any other nationality every day of the week.

fact.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_E...nd_extradition

Over pot seeds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._United_States

Out of the whole list, seems like only 3-4 are born in Canada.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-31-2019 at 07:09 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

This.

I have watched enough tv to know she won’t make it within 50km of the US Boarder.
    She's been within 50 km of the US border for over a year now. [/pedanticism]

My Ride
    370Z duhh

So I'm guessing there won't be a new 370Z any time soon.

My Ride
    *The First*

Did you guys see the part that the conviction rate in Japan is over 99 percent?!?!

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Did you guys see the part that the conviction rate in Japan is over 99 percent?!?!
    Its justice system is pretty unforgiving to foreigners compared to citizens as well.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    Its justice system is pretty unforgiving to foreigners compared to citizens as well.
    I can't say I ever had an urge to go there, but that's a deal breaker. What a ludicrous system.
    If they have such a perfect policing system, would it not be studied, modeled and rolled out in many many other countries?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast