Quantcast
2020 Camping thread - Page 28 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Camping thread

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSup4U View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any tips on getting/ saving FCFS sights? We tried yesterday for this weekend and nope...already full
    Drive further, don't go to Peter Lougheed. That solves a lot of problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Drive further, don't go to Peter Lougheed. That solves a lot of problems.
    So if you go out to Dutch Creek area, and they’ve closed like 90% of the old trails... what does random camping actually look like? If you head down one of the old trails to get off the main road to setup camp, will they slap your pee pee for having a truck on either a quad trail or just a fully closed trail? Is there still plenty of decent campsites from the road?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, I think @NoSup4U was talking about FCFS campgrounds, not random camping. Those weren't full last weekend, racehorse particularly.

As for random camping, I don't know very much, because I actually don't do it, but there were literally hundreds of people out random camping all over the darned place. I don't know what trails they've closed, or what they do if you go down a closed trail. One day I may get into random camping.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah more so asking for me... head out with the dogs and woman, do a little hiking or something.... but haven’t been down there... use to do Castle PLUZ a lot... but that’s also undergone similar changes since the last time I was out there

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well you'll find a spot, it's not "full".

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Well you'll find a spot, it's not "full".
    Hrm... do we have the same thoughts on what random camping is though? Field beside a gravel road in eye line of others? No... tucked back in the woods completely secluded? Yes

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Hrm... do we have the same thoughts on what random camping is though? Field beside a gravel road in eye line of others? No... tucked back in the woods completely secluded? Yes
    No idea the state of random camping down in the Dutch or castle, but know it’s a hell of a lot more enjoyable not having so many bozos on UTVs going for constant rips when fully cut, or shooting over the road or shitting next to the creeks..

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    No idea the state of random camping down in the Dutch or castle, but know it’s a hell of a lot more enjoyable not having so many bozos on UTVs going for constant rips when fully cut, or shooting over the road or shitting next to the creeks..
    Yeah, people suck and it really was needed... but ruined it for the rest of us too. Basically have to go into BC now to have any sort of real overland/adventure camping trip

My Ride
    Changes everyday...

We are headed to Vancouver with a RV. Planning to spend first night in Creston BC any suggestions where should must stop and plan our next stops. We have five nights, last night will be in Delta as drop-off is before 10AM. We are taking highway 3 and deciding to spend a night in Osoyoos as well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    You'll need to go a lot further than Dutch Creek to get secluded these days. See my update from a couple of days ago. Easily 2x as many people random camping this year.

I'd guess you need to be a 30-60 minutes past Dutch to find "secluded"

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

You'll need to go a lot further than Dutch Creek to get secluded these days. See my update from a couple of days ago. Easily 2x as many people random camping this year.

I'd guess you need to be a 30-60 minutes past Dutch to find "secluded"
    Yeah that’s why I was wondering about those old trails... get off the main road a little, I think I might give it a shot down near window mountain... couple truck trails (although very short trails) down that way... that hike sounds good too

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by black300 View Post
    We are headed to Vancouver with a RV. Planning to spend first night in Creston BC any suggestions where should must stop and plan our next stops. We have five nights, last night will be in Delta as drop-off is before 10AM. We are taking highway 3 and deciding to spend a night in Osoyoos as well.
    I'd just suggest getting on the kootenay ferry vs creston pass is a real pain in a big rv for not much of a view. ferry is much nicer.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

For those of you with small RVs or small trailers (say 1 or no slides) how much do you figure the cost per year is for maintenance? Like firewood, water/sewer dumps and propane is pretty straightforward but I'm curious what yearly maintenance costs to keep the trailer in good shape?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

New tires at $100 /each every 4-5 years. Shit breaks, $200/yr. Crap you didn't need to buy but you will anyway, $200/yr. Probably missing a few things. Say a thousand a year and that's hopefully high.

Plus storage, and consumables obvs.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    For those of you with small RVs or small trailers (say 1 or no slides) how much do you figure the cost per year is for maintenance? Like firewood, water/sewer dumps and propane is pretty straightforward but I'm curious what yearly maintenance costs to keep the trailer in good shape?
    Id expect that I get 4-5 years out of a set of tires, I reseal the roof joints every 2-3 years, bearings repacked at least once a year, batteries last 4-5 years, Generator every 10 years, polish once a year, prob will break a vent or compartment cover once a year.

Tires - 200 a year (dual axle)
    Roof - $100 a year for dicor
    Bearings - $40 in grease/seals
    Batteries - $75 a year
    Generator - $150 a year + Oil and Fuel etc
    Polish - $50
    Random breaking things - $50-100 a year

+ all the splurge camping shit I buy on amazon during the winter.... adds up quickly

I'd say $700 a year with me doing all the labor, im lucky as I dont pay for storage but that would add up as well. I tend to overdo things with my trailer, but get out 15-20 weekends per year so its justified. Dont even want to think about how much it costs once I start adding in diesel truck maintenance into it.
    Last edited by blubs; 07-23-2020 at 01:25 PM.

My Ride
    Ram truck and some bikes

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    On top of storage ($780- includes Dump station) my mid 90's 23' trailer has run me almost $1000 in maintenance a year. The last 2 years we've done New 12V battery, Re-certified 2-30lbs tanks, Tires, Bearing re-pack and brake check, some fridge maintenance and a re-seal on the whole trailer

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Sweet, thanks everyone!

My Ride
    Canyonero

For @blubs posting about $100 in Dicor annually and @Andy643 talking about a complete re-seal; if it was DIY, any good guides to share, or if you had it professionally done, any referrals you'd like to share?

With a 10 year old trailer I can say seals are on my mind.

I also have a small crack in the front "face" of my hardwall trailer that I need to seal. Any product recommendations on that front? I'm thinking like a fiberglass epoxy.

My Ride
    Ram truck and some bikes

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    talking about a complete re-seal; if it was DIY, any good guides to share, or if you had it professionally done, any referrals you'd like to share?
    @prae I didn't have the patients to DIY a task that large. Canadian Leisure RV just off Glenmore in the SE is who I used. The price was less than I thought it should've been. Did the whole thing roof and all for like $800. 10 tubes of seal on the roof alone...

Some buddies of mine have lost trailers due to water damage while sitting over the winter. Our plan is to have it re-done every 3-4 years as a precaution. The shop said it should be cheaper if i do it regularly.
    This year I'm already seeing splits in the seals and will likely have it touched up before put it away.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    For @blubs posting about $100 in Dicor annually and @Andy643 talking about a complete re-seal; if it was DIY, any good guides to share, or if you had it professionally done, any referrals you'd like to share?

With a 10 year old trailer I can say seals are on my mind.

I also have a small crack in the front "face" of my hardwall trailer that I need to seal. Any product recommendations on that front? I'm thinking like a fiberglass epoxy.

Its really not that hard just as others have said very time-consuming. Takes a long time to scrape all the old sealant off, clean the surfaces, then finally reaseal it. I use a bit more of the sealant than the video shows but that is basically it for most rubber roofs. Also make sure that you are doing it when its hot so that it can dry properly, as it takes over a week to properly harden. Took me about 4-5 hours for a 26' trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvQKJiatP-g

For everything vertical use Proflex RV. Many think its just Silicone but silicone becomes too hard and will separate.

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 ... LastLast