Quantcast
Trump Orders Strike Killing Top Iranian General Qassim Suleimani in Baghdad - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Orders Strike Killing Top Iranian General Qassim Suleimani in Baghdad

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone who impinges on America's freedom. Terrorist states, Stanley. Someone must bring their war to them. They bomb a church, we bomb ten. They hijack a plane, we take out an airport. They execute American tourists, we tactically nuke an entire city. Our job is to make terrorism so horrific that it becomes unthinkable to attack Americans.

- Gabriel
    What a patriot! And Halle Berry....mmmmmmm
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    What a patriot! And Halle Berry....mmmmmmm
    And here I thought it was an Office quote

It costs money to evacuate. If the drone attack is unsuccessful, then its 100% ok for diplomats to stay where they are.

So evacuation is always reactionary, because there are plenty of times where a general is pre-informed and avoids attacks. A country with a solid information network might be able to avoid being killed 90+% of the time. If the USA fails an assassination attempt, the single best thing they can do is try to pin it on another nation that they are unfriendly against to make them look both guilty and incompetent. If you "pre-evacuate" you have automatically implicated yourself and totally lose all bargaining chips.

A failed assassination attempt properly twisted, can be of *great* gain. If this attempt had failed, I can imagine the USA would double the diplomats sent to Iran, to blame maybe the French, or some other nation that you can blame. This is a game the USA plays all the time, and since on average assassination attempts fail more often than succeed, you can almost tell the US guilt level by the burgeoning number of diplomats sent. Its the ultimate game of reverse psychology.

That being said, it always sets a bad precedent for 200 other nations. Technically any nation can declare war against any other nation, and if you go by US rules, you can drone anyone first and blame anyone else if it fails. If New Zealand declared war on Australia, it would be ok to go around droning Aussies? Technically yes.

If the US declared war on Greenland, could they drone the entire populace in one week? Probably, and if they somehow miss someone - Simply blame North Korea. Ask anyone in Guam how far the USA will go.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-04-2020 at 08:49 PM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    Good thing we didn't get Killary in office, can you imagine how many wars she would have started?
    hahaha....... Putin vs. Hillary - I believe he called her the Russian equivalent of an 'old hag' (or a phrase which has no direct translation).

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It’s hilarious that the same people condemning police violence in Hong Kong is all up in arms over Trump ordering the killing of Soleimani who is responsible for killing thousands of protestors last year alone.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It’s hilarious that the same people condemning police violence in Hong Kong is all up in arms over Trump ordering the killing of Soleimani who is responsible for killing thousands of protestors last year alone.
    this could lead to a war with worse repercussions than Iraq, which has seen hundreds of thousands of people die. It’s the same issue as Saddam Hussein, yeah he was a murderous shit head, but intervention made things exponentially worse

Yeah but, that Iranian is a military general. Realistically his job is to kill people. Hong Kong police technically are supposed to uphold the law, which does mean for the most part not killing people who are legally protesting.

This is where the line is blurred for the USA. No doubt McCain was high ranking military, his job was to kill people - at the time. He killed lots of soldiers by dropping bombs on their heads, women and children too - which gained him political power enough to gain 45.7% of the USA vote in 2008. The way many people see it, is that past a certain point - the more people you kill the more power you gain. Which makes half the USA a mostly godless and worthy of hell nation - but I digress.

There is no greater loss of freedom than taking away life from someone else, taking away their freedom to live. McCain was without doubt, the ultimate destroyer of human freedom. Realistically speaking, all they are doing in Iran is following McCains lead.

Trump was actually quite refreshing in that he did not gain as much political power or any from dealing death as other presidents. Now he seems to have turned that corner which is a little disappointing by me. But its not like he was the one that flew overhead and dropped napalm on elementary schools, six degrees of separation means that everyone knows Kevin Bacon.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-04-2020 at 10:39 PM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

this could lead to a war with worse repercussions than Iraq, which has seen hundreds of thousands of people die. It’s the same issue as Saddam Hussein, yeah he was a murderous shit head, but intervention made things exponentially worse
    Iraq was completely different. US wanted to invade Iraq for oil back then. There is no reason for US to invade Iran. There’s not going to be a war like Iraq. US will just drone strike the shit outta Iran if they retaliate, and Iran will back the fuck off because there’s no chance for them. If anything, Iran will go after Israel.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

No, there is no war build up with Iran like there was with Iraq. Completely different scenario. The Americans executed a terrorist conspirator in Iraq - had they bombed this dude in Iran - ok a little different, and Iran already attacked American embassy, which is a HUGE no no.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Iran will never be invaded I agree, that’s the real expensive part.

I doubt a “war” with Iran would even really cost much more money than the American force projection in the Gulf of Oman that already exists.

US would be content to decimate their economy and obliterate their ability to project force beyond their borders. Destroy rocket bases, destroy attack watercraft, wipe out their Air Force, cut their internet hardlines ( this happened accidentally just a couple weeks ago).

Leave Iran in the Stone Age within their borders they so desperately want. In essence, fuck ‘em.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

I feel like the fact that a Hezbollah leader was killed in the same airstrike is being completely ignored for political reasons. Its pretty clear what they were in Iraq for.

I never assume that an USA embassy in any country is attacked externally. Arguably, half of the reason an embassy is in a country is a litmus test OR excuse to start a conflict.

If you want to start a conflict with any nation, start an embassy - and in ten years the day you want to invade said country simply spray some graffiti on the side, and blow up a wall on it yourself. Instant blame transferance.

https://www.consulby.com/us-embassy-greenland/
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-05-2020 at 06:16 AM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    I feel like the fact that a Hezbollah leader was killed in the same airstrike is being completely ignored for political reasons. Its pretty clear what they were in Iraq for.
    Agreed - not only was the strike justified based on past actions, but also their planned actions for the very near future.

The height of hypocrisy from the leftist in the USA right now, accusing Trump of committing "war crimes" (Warren's Tweets about Trump's warnings today re Iran), while their messiah Obama said precisely the same things in terms of warnings to both Iran and N.Korea during his term. Oh, ya, and the THOUSANDS of threats Obama droned off the board, with many cases where the threats wives and children were collateral damage. Hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Iraq was completely different. US wanted to invade Iraq for oil back then. There is no reason for US to invade Iran. There’s not going to be a war like Iraq. US will just drone strike the shit outta Iran if they retaliate, and Iran will back the fuck off because there’s no chance for them. If anything, Iran will go after Israel.
    Maybe. If I had to bet I would say this won't go to actual war, however there is a serious concern for a few reasons:

1. Drone King Obama thought it would be a bad idea to kill the guy. Bush II the guy who started 2 forever wars thought it would be a bad idea. If those 2 thought it would be too much risk, then what does that say? It's a step that no one thought would be taken, but here we are

2. Look how quickly this step and some future droning has been justified. An embassy attack, which is not the first or even worst thing Iran has been behind, is being used to say why this extra step was needed, so what will happen when Iran ramps up the terrorism in response to this? If they manage to sink a few American ships, it would be milliseconds before various pundits on both sides of the MSM start saying there needs to be some boots on the ground to really quickly put an end to this encounter

3. As has been undeniably proven, if Trump makes accusations about something it means he's already done worse or wants to do. So his half dozen tweets and several videos about Obama going to war with Iran for re-election is very troubling. The military-industrial complex smells blood and will come up with the justifications (securing American interests, avenging American losses, protecting Israel, etc), but the president being willing and likely eager to get into this is the step that was missing before now.

Now, to be fair, Trump has shown that he doesn't have the attention span for war or any real drawn out conflict. After being humiliated by NK he stopped validating them. After only a few military bases lost and relatively few dead allies he managed to crawl away from the Turkey situation. Most likely he'll somehow blunder a few dozen dead American soldiers out of this but will then declare mission accomplished and move on to his next international failure.

But to get back to the point: people aren't mad that Trump killed a murderer, they are mad that it could possibly lead to significantly worse. It's not hypocrisy, it's pessimism. You might not agree with that pessimism, but I'm just saying that you're misattributing our motives.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

More news today. Apparently Iraq has been asked to moderate between the Americans and Iranians.... and then they dropped a bomb on him.

Solomenei travelled to Baghdad at the President’s request and he killed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Agreed - not only was the strike justified based on past actions, but also their planned actions for the very near future.

The height of hypocrisy from the leftist in the USA right now, accusing Trump of committing "war crimes" (Warren's Tweets about Trump's warnings today re Iran), while their messiah Obama said precisely the same things in terms of warnings to both Iran and N.Korea during his term. Oh, ya, and the THOUSANDS of threats Obama droned off the board, with many cases where the threats wives and children were collateral damage. Hypocrites.
    The war crimes thing was based on the threat of bombing their cultural sites. Military stuff is all fair game at this point but going after cultural stuff like 1000 year old structures that have innocent people in them is definitely a war crime in my opinion (and according to US law)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by J-D View Post
    7 aircraft and 3 vehicles destroyed but no US casualties (4 dead al Shabaab militants tho). I wonder if they were US aircraft or just Kenyan.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    The war crimes thing was based on the threat of bombing their cultural sites. Military stuff is all fair game at this point but going after cultural stuff like 1000 year old structures that have innocent people in them is definitely a war crime in my opinion (and according to US law)

- - - Updated - - -

7 aircraft and 3 vehicles destroyed but no US casualties (4 dead al Shabaab militants tho). I wonder if they were US aircraft or just Kenyan.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/05/polit...nya/index.html

Washington (CNN)A US service member and two civilian contractors working for the Defense Department were killed in an attack by Al-Shabaab in Kenya on Sunday, US Africa Command announced.

Quote Originally Posted by J-D View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/05/polit...nya/index.html

Washington (CNN)A US service member and two civilian contractors working for the Defense Department were killed in an attack by Al-Shabaab in Kenya on Sunday, US Africa Command announced.
    If there's any good news out of that, it's that Al shabaab aren't Iran-linked, they are more al-quada/ISIS.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast