Quantcast
Trump Orders Strike Killing Top Iranian General Qassim Suleimani in Baghdad - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Orders Strike Killing Top Iranian General Qassim Suleimani in Baghdad

I'm not sure if the head would still be around on a successful missile attack. Its pretty safe to assume though that more advanced weaponry would detonate on proximity and not actual contact. The only time you would not have very many fragments left is a dropped dumb bomb.

They could shred a commercial airliner with the most basic of explosives.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-08-2020 at 07:59 PM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    *The First*

I really don't see how this could be any state-sanctioned military takedown among Russia, Ukraine, Iran or Murica. I don't think there's exactly a shortage of radical fucking nut job groups at/near/around that area that would do something like this and then sit quietly while others scramble to figure out which country should point fingers at the other.

ISIS, ISIL, InCells, Hezbollah, Joshua Boyle, Richard Jewel, Ted Kaczynski, John Krasinski, Karla Homolka, Shanon Murrin, Shannon Doherty, Shanon Hoon, T. Boone Pickens, Calvin Broadus, Calvin Klein, Weinstein, Epstein, you fuckin name it!

My Ride
    Axis powers

Hearing my coworkers wife was on that flight
    Sig nuked by mod.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hearing my coworkers wife was on that flight
    Seeing some of the articles about the canadian victims is heartwrenching. There are a LOT of well-educated Iranian Canadians. So tragic.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I am so done with Kadhr. Can we PLEASE keep this thread on topic. PLEASE!

Dang, Adamc, that's terrible to hear.

I'm interested to see what the investigations turn up on the crash. Iran is holding desperately to the mechanical failure theory, while Ukrainian Airlines is still considering a missile event. Wouldn't look good on Iran if it was a missile, after so consistently throwing the US under the bus for the airliner they shot down a couple decades back. Ultimately, it really sucks that so many innocents died. 2020's off to an interesting start.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    4x4

CBS News is reporting US intelligence sources saying SAM shot it down.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates...ch-2020-01-09/

10M AGO
    U.S. officials confident Iran shot down passenger jet
    U.S. officials are confident Ukrainian Flight 752 was shot down by Iran, CBS News' Kris Van Cleave reports.

U.S. intelligence picked up signals of the radar being turned on and satellite detected infrared blips of two missile launches, probably SA-15s, followed shortly by another infrared blip of an explosion.

The current thinking is the plane was mistakenly targeted. It took off hours after Iran launched a missile attack against military bases in Iraq housing U.S. troops, while the world waited to see if the U.S. would respond militarily, Van Cleave reports.

The Ukrainian International Airlines plane crashed Wednesday, killing all 176 people on board.

BY SARAH LYNCH BALDWIN
    Last edited by AndyL; 01-09-2020 at 11:11 AM.

My Ride
    ute

You know, when the US and Iran are shooting rockets at each other, the first thing I think is: "Hey Tehran airspace seems safe."

Why would Iran shoot down a passenger jet carrying primarily Iranian citizens as well as Canadian citizens when they are mad at the USA? Only plausible explanation (if true) is a mistake.

Pretty amazing that commercial flights weren't grounded when they were using ballistic missiles in the area. I will never take a flight that flies over the sketchy parts of Middle East or Russia.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Why would Iran shoot down a passenger jet carrying primarily Iranian citizens as well as Canadian citizens when they are mad at the USA? Only plausible explanation (if true) is a mistake.

Pretty amazing that commercial flights weren't grounded when they were using ballistic missiles in the area. I will never take a flight that flies over the sketchy parts of Middle East or Russia.
    Delayed over an hour on the ground... Suddenly you're not matching the 'expected' commercial departures... Likely it's an accident. Or perhaps one of the groups looking for regime overthrow.

I think the theory is that they intentionally shot it down but mistook it for military.

Yeah the most plausible explanation to me is a mistake - and if it was delayed, maybe it looked weird on radar or something. I wonder if the passengers knew what was going on in the area and if so, if anyone elected to stay off that flight. That's not something I would ever roll the dice on but it's very likely they had no idea to what degree things had escalated to.

My Ride
    4x4

Yeah the most plausible explanation to me is a mistake - and if it was delayed, maybe it looked weird on radar or something. I wonder if the passengers knew what was going on in the area and if so, if anyone elected to stay off that flight. That's not something I would ever roll the dice on but it's very likely they had no idea to what degree things had escalated to.
    BBC reported the delay was to offload bags for 2 passengers who checked in but didn't board.

My Ride
    Silverado

It is difficult to know if the people in Iran even knew of the strikes before they got on the plane. Hopefully everyone died quickly without pain and suffering.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 01-09-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Yeah how could you blame any of the victims, there were multiple PhDs on there... they aren't stupid/ignorant people. They probably just wanted to GTFO asap.

Iran really should have closed off all airspace when they started their attacks. It's on them.

I know plenty of PHD's with 0 common sense. I'd walk to turkey before I'd get on a flight in iran hours after they bombed a US base.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Supa Dexta View Post
    I know plenty of PHD's with 0 common sense. I'd walk to turkey before I'd get on a flight in iran hours after they bombed a US base.
    If you grew up or had family in Iran you'd be used to decades of political BS. Besides, you'd expect getting out of the country would be the sensible thing to do...

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

What a great start of the year. Think positive, may be we'll hear less about climate change, just a bit.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    If you grew up or had family in Iran you'd be used to decades of political BS. Besides, you'd expect getting out of the country would be the sensible thing to do...
    yes...except for the Trump factor. Trump doesn't just given beyonders here a nasty case of TDS. He gives it to entire countries.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Supa Dexta View Post
    At the same time it was a negotiated backroom deal... to allow both parties to save face... Iran told them when and where they were going to strike. Iran followed through - USA said "yup nobody hurt". Why would they close the airspace 1000km away from the fighting when they had predetermined the outcomes and responses so they both could look politically "strong"

Tomorrow we can probably look forward to hearing about IRG members having heart attacks or being executed...

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Tomorrow we can probably look forward to hearing about IRG members having heart attacks or being executed...
    Why? If anything this would just be more incentive to use against the US
    Sig nuked by mod.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast