Quantcast
Warranty service - same problem multiple times - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Warranty service - same problem multiple times

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Warranty service - same problem multiple times

Hi guys,

Quick question. My 2018 Crosstrek developed an issue a few months back where the rear driver side speaker was making this high pitched buzzing noise. I took the vehicle in and they said they "Adjusted the speaker" or something like that and it fixed the issue, until this morning, when exact same thing came back. Looking online it appears to be more of an amp problem as a few people have said. The buzzing continues even when the car is powered off and just sitting there. Unplugging the AMP under the passenger seat causes the sound to stop, plugging it back in and the issue resumes

Anyways, I will take it in again for repairs under warranty, but what happens if this shit comes back after the warranty is up? It obviously seems like they are not fixing the root cause of the issue. Can I say that it's the 3rd time back for the same issue and get them to fix it for free after warranty period is up, or am I screwed and have to pay out of pocket, despite bringing the problem up multiple times during warranty.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

If it's documented that they've attempted to repair something prior to the warranty period expiring and you have the same problem with the same component after the warranty period has expired they should still fix it free of charge.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

But they probably will try to charge you.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    bus

After the warranty period it’ll be a case by case issue with Subaru Canada. The dealer would have to get the OK to redo the work with new parts.

Subaru Canada may only cover the parts and you’ll be on the hook for labor.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I can't speak to Subaru but one of our vehicles is a Hyundai and we had a sunroof issue before the warranty expired and they tried to fix it twice, thought they had it but nope, same issue came up again about 5 months / 5,000 KM after the warranty expired and they didn't even blink, took two more tries before it was actually fixed but it never cost me a dime.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    ute

I think most manufacturers honor this type of thing as a good will warranty.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I think most manufacturers honor this type of thing as a good will warranty.
    Correct. If your a good repeat customer, always service your car there, they will do the repair under their GoodWill. They obviously will not mention this to you as its not something that is given out to everyone or known.

But take it back now, and get them to re-diagnose it and say you perhaps think its an amp problem. Or could be a wire grounding issue.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Thanks guys. It's the exact same speaker again, and it's the only speaker in the car. The annoying part is I have to unplug the amp so I can't even get any music in the car until it's fixed, as I am worried the constant buzzing will drain the battery as it does it with the car just sitting there locked. Last time it happened took two weeks to get an appointment and was using a Bluetooth speaker in the car for entertainment.

Take it to red deer subaru. Forget about the clowns here in Calgary
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

There will be records of your visits, and you can request they enter information into the work order on your 2nd visit to fix the issue that you are concerned about the issue reoccurring out of warranty. That should cover you at the dealership level if it does come up again soon after the warranty expires.

If it does and you get the runaround from the advisor, go directly to the service manager. If that doesn't work, go to the GM. If that doesn't work, go to Subaru.

You shouldn't have to jump through hoops, and I can all but guarantee you won't have to go too high up the chain to receive help if you are being reasonable and calm.

Just know that as the time from warranty expiration gets longer, the more of those hoops you can expect... and eventually an all-out denial to assist. There is only so long they will be willing to goodwill you fixes - even if it is due to their own lousy electronics.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    But they probably will try to charge you.
    why do people always assume this? Dealers get paid to do warranty work so they actually dont mind it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    why do people always assume this? Dealers get paid to do warranty work so they actually dont mind it.
    I was assuming this because he's talking about having no warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Take your issue to Subaru Canada. I have had to get them involved to prod the local dealers into doing warranty work. My wife's Outback will be our last Subaru as the local dealers are awful and the product is subpar. There is a passenger airbag recall going back to last year where there could be metal particles in the airbag that can mess up your face and we are booked for June 2020! Nine months to get a recall completed! It's not like their cars are even that good anymore as they lead the industry in recalls now as there's a new one every week.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    Depends on the work. My ram that liked to eat transmissions and would sit at the dealer lot for weeks on end while they tore it apart, waited for authorization, did other diagnostics, waited for more authorizations, the dealers were 1/2 the problem. I can see why - pushing a ram with a blown transmission in and out of the shop over and over and over sucks - but...

Sometimes they run with it - sometimes they try to avoid it at all costs. After transmission issue #7 they really started making it harder and harder to get repaired.