Quantcast
For Sale Anyone interested in home-brew penetrating oil? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone interested in home-brew penetrating oil?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Default Anyone interested in home-brew penetrating oil?

I'm sure most of you DIY'ers out there are aware of the Acetone/ATF home brew penetrating oil, however just pricing out 1QT of Acetone ($11.99+tax) and 1QT of the cheapest ATF (~$6+fees & taxes) comes out to around ~$20 for 2QT's of penetrant (often too much for regular use) or ~$10/QT (per 946mL).

Now to the good part! I recently bought some Honda DW-1 ATF for doing a 3x drain and fill flush for my parent's Odyssey, so there was some basically new DW-1 ATF which came out of the drain & fill process. Rather than putting it to waste @ ~$12/QT, I was thinking of mixing up some home brew penetrating oil. I'm just missing acetone at the moment, but once I have that, I can mix up a batch. Just basically looking to to cover the cost, rather than put perfectly good synthetic ATF to waste. I'll be re-using the 1QT Honda DW-1 ATF bottles to put the penetrating oil in and once you get this, you can put them in your own application bottle (ie. an oil can or dropper bottle that's acetone safe).

If anyone's interested, it would be $7.50/QT (946mL) or $5 for 1/2 QT (473mL) of this home brew penetrating oil.

For those interested in the "background" behind things: (ref: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum.../Acetone_antis , http://www.mvcconline.org/catagory4/...ting%20oil.pdf)

"Machinist's Workshop Mag recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.
    They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a scientifically rusted environment.

*Penetrating oil .......... Average load*
    None ........................... 516 pounds
    WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
    PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench ............... 127 pounds
    Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
    ATF*-Acetone mix...............53 pounds"
    Last edited by JDMMAN; 01-06-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Great idea! To help cut down on your costs, try Princess Auto for the Acetone. I see on their site they list 1 liter for $9.99.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

S-FLY - thanks for the lead. I need to check the purity of the acetone to see if it'll be good enough.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be a good way to "reduce" and "reuse" something especially when all the cleaning and lubricating properties of the synthetic ATF work just fine. My part to help the environment!