Quantcast
Making windshield rock chip less visible? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Making windshield rock chip less visible?

Default Making windshield rock chip less visible?

Hey guys, I got a rock chip on my windshield and its pretty noticeable, I did go get it fixed so that it doesn't spread but I was wondering if there is a place that can fill it in better to make it less noticeable? I cant stop looking at it when I am driving and its making me crazy..

My Ride
    This and that.

Typically when they fix it, it's supposed to become practically invisible. That had been my experience until recently. My wife's Audi got a chip and the Mr. Lube after spending an hour said they can't fix it. Crystal Glass said they fixed it and will offer warranty on it if it extends but the chip hasn't completely gone. It's less obvious but there. They said some chips just don't disappear even though they are in a position to warranty the work.

My Ride
    *The First*

Off topic, but did you see the list of "similar threads" below? WtF "one of these things is not like the others"!!
    LoL!

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Typically when they fix it, it's supposed to become practically invisible. That had been my experience until recently. My wife's Audi got a chip and the Mr. Lube after spending an hour said they can't fix it. Crystal Glass said they fixed it and will offer warranty on it if it extends but the chip hasn't completely gone. It's less obvious but there. They said some chips just don't disappear even though they are in a position to warranty the work.
    Would you say it’s 50% less noticeable?

My Ride
    KTM

Glass Masters did 2 chips for me just yesterday and I was surprised that they were still visible also. My experience in the past has been they disappear also. It’s not in my line of sight so it’s not a huge issue, wondering if time of year plays into it?

My Ride
    LNF

I used to repair rock chips at windshield surgeons back when I was in high school.. It really depends on the chip, normally you drill into the first layer of glass with a dremel and then just use a fixture to fill it in with resin. Sometimes they are hardly noticeable and other times they are still clear. I would say minimum though, they are 50% less visible.

Also, windshield rock chips are extremely easy to fix. You can buy a rock chip repair kit at canadian tire for around 13$ and do it yourself.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Also, windshield rock chips are extremely easy to fix. You can buy a rock chip repair kit at canadian tire for around 13$ and do it yourself.
    When I used to drive a beater, I just dabbed this dollar store stuff into it to prevent spread
    Name:  9-1008[1].jpg
Views: 414
Size:  14.5 KB

I do agree though it seems recent repairs (by shops) are more noticeable than ones before...

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by BensonTT View Post
    Would you say it’s 50% less noticeable?
    To be honest, I don't think so. Perhaps maybe 20%. I felt like it was still obvious enough to be annoying after it got done. But since they guaranteed that it wouldn't get worse, I didn't care that much.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Windshield chip repairs are just a ripoff nowadays. I think it used to be about $30 per chip, the last time I asked it was $60. Well that's just too much, so I did some research and just ended up buying the kit on Amazon and did it myself. My father had bought a pro level kit a long time ago to keep in his motorhome ($5000 windshield), but its hard to find those and they were around $250 at that time. I purchased a cheap one, this Mookis kit not expecting much but every one I've done has turned out near perfect. I see there is a better rated one on there now, but I'd take ratings on things like this with a grain of salt, most people I don't think are technical enough to troubleshoot or use things like this well enough. Just one peek at the Youtube videos of people using these shows that. The kit has enough resin in it to do many many cracks, so I'd recommend it
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    Windshield chip repairs are just a ripoff nowadays. I think it used to be about $30 per chip, the last time I asked it was $60. Well that's just too much, so I did some research and just ended up buying the kit on Amazon and did it myself. My father had bought a pro level kit a long time ago to keep in his motorhome ($5000 windshield), but its hard to find those and they were around $250 at that time. I purchased a cheap one, this Mookis kit not expecting much but every one I've done has turned out near perfect. I see there is a better rated one on there now, but I'd take ratings on things like this with a grain of salt, most people I don't think are technical enough to troubleshoot or use things like this well enough. Just one peek at the Youtube videos of people using these shows that. The kit has enough resin in it to do many many cracks, so I'd recommend it
    Mr. Lube was $30 (didn't charge cause they couldn't fix). Crystal Glass (think that's where my wife went) charged $40.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I feel like you fix chips to protect the rest of the windshield, not to reduce visibility.

They are always painfully obvious to me after repair.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

How long did you wait to fill it? Typically the sooner the better. As dirt and water get into them, it makes it harder to make them less visible.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Some repairs disappear 80-90%. Others look just as bad after the repair, seems totally random. Have had repairs done by the dealership, the orange tent guys in the summer and Glass Masters.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    I was eyeing up this kits a couple weeks ago and was wondering if they worked. Your review is good for me totally buying. I wouldnt be opposed to buying the good tool for~$300 and using it for the rest of my life. For reference once chip at Glass Masters was 35 and every other chip afterwards was 1/2 price .....still a total scam.

Hey guys I took my car to Cal-Alta today and they manage to make it less noticeable and I am happy with the job..

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Highly recommend Cal-Alta. I showed up there with a fresh chip and not only did they do it on the spot but they even gave me active coupons before paying without even bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BensonTT View Post
    Hey guys I took my car to Cal-Alta today and they manage to make it less noticeable and I am happy with the job..
    Took mine to Cal-Alta as well. Was only $20 and was in out pretty quick and the rock chip was way less noticeable after they were done and can barely notice it.

I got a rockchip during the summer and was at Sunridge mall and went to the Deco tent to see how much they would charge. They wanted $45 to start and said it was too big and wanted an extra $25 for more resin for a total of $70....total rip off. Said no thanks, drove to Cal-Alta and after $20 it was done.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    I was eyeing up this kits a couple weeks ago and was wondering if they worked. Your review is good for me totally buying. I wouldnt be opposed to buying the good tool for~$300 and using it for the rest of my life. For reference once chip at Glass Masters was 35 and every other chip afterwards was 1/2 price .....still a total scam.
    I make sure when I get a chip, I throw a small square of hockey sock tape over it right away to keep stuff out of it until I can fix it. While I was practicing, I did a huge chip in my truck that had been there for about 8 months, really gnarly and had lots of stuff in it. I was surprised that it eliminated enough of it to not be a distraction anymore (close to my line of sight). The immediate fixes I did on my other car almost went away entirely. Under certain light and angles you can see the resin "halo", but thats with nearly all repairs.

In the winter, you have to leave it outside in the sunlight for quite a while to get a cure, in the summer 30 min should be enough. I just parked them outside for a couple hours because I could. You can cure them faster with UV lights. I bought a cheap one but haven't tried it yet, I'm still researching some of that stuff. Pure UV lights are kind of hard to find and expensive.

I feel I hardly put a dent in the amount of resin that comes with the kit, I'm sure I can get 10+ repairs out of it. There is a cheaper kit on Amazon now too, looks to be almost the same. A good tip is to drop in the resin, push it in, walk away for a few minutes, come back and pull the plunger and put more resin in and push it in again, heat the windshield from behind the crack to help pull it in (I just use a lighter and lightly warm the area a few times in circles). Its best to use more resin than less, you'll put a curing sheet on and razor off the excess anyhow.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Silverado

I paid $35 to have a chip filled last summer, not huge, and it rmded up cracking on the first cold day. Company said tfb. Buying a kit sounds like a good plan.