Quantcast
Adding Power Outlet To Finished Wall - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Adding Power Outlet To Finished Wall

Default Adding Power Outlet To Finished Wall

I'm looking to add a power outlet part way up my wall to provide power for a wall mounted TV and hoping some of our local electricians can chime in on this.

The wall that my TV is mounted to is an interior wall that separates my living room and bedroom. The living room wall does not have a power outlet directly below where I'd like to run this outlet, but the bedroom wall does.

I've replaced outlets and switches in the past, but I've never had to install a new outlet and my electrical knowledge is limited. Is it possible for me to simply "daisy chain" an additional outlet off the existing bedroom outlet and terminate this behind my tv on the living room wall?

Any concerns from a safety or code perspective other than ending up with too many outlets on the same circuit and using appropriate in-wall rated cable between the outlets?

I've seen retrofit type in-wall power solutions on Amazon, at Home Depot, etc. but they all seem to end up with a large box/plate lower on the living room wall which I'd like to avoid. They also seem unnecessarily expensive if there is a simpler option.

Appreciate any thoughts!

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Something like this with the input on the bedroom wall and the output on the living room wall.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ed-electronics

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Doesn't sound like it would be an issue. Quite a few of the outlets in my walls are wired like this. Studs won't be your friend. Depending on how old your place is, you may need to upgrade to an afci either at the outlet or breaker side. You are also supposed to get a city inspection/permit too.

You should consult a professional.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 01-10-2020 at 02:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Something like this with the input on the bedroom wall and the output on the living room wall.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ed-electronics

Have seen this option, but was hoping to add a traditional outlet instead so I could avoid the lower "input" side of it all together. Figured it would clean up the look a bit but the below note on permitting may make this the less hassle route.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Doesn't sound like it would be an issue. Quite a few of the outlets in my walls are wired like this. Studs won't be your friend. Depending on how old your place is, you may need to upgrade to an afci either at the outlet or breaker side. You are also supposed to get a city inspection/permit too.
    Hmm interesting note on the AFCI front, haven't looked into this but my place is a 2003 built condo. Was wondering if this might require a permit, that could end up bringing this into "too much hassle" territory.

And yep, agree with studs being a pain. That's actually the biggest reason I'd like to tap into the existing bedroom outlet - its in a stud void that's pretty much directly below my TV mount so I shouldn't have to go through any studs with the wiring.

You could research using a renovation style box that clamps the drywall and add a normal plug.
    Home Depot sells rework style boxes: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ibe...box/1000408040

Then add AC90 or Nmd90 wire (depending on what's already in the wall) to the plug box on the bedroom wall and call it a day.

You should consult a professional.
    Last edited by S-FLY; 01-10-2020 at 02:24 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I had ny basement built with plug on wall for TV. I don't use them. Instead, I run the power cable through the access hole to the floor and power from the floor. You can't put a powerbar or UPS behind a wall mounted TV to protect it from spikes, surges, brownouts etc.

So cut a hole beside a stud at TV height, at floor height, and just fish the cable through and manage power on the floor behind/inside a cabinet to keep it clean. Way easier than trying to run an outlet at TV height.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

If there is a receptacle under where you want but on the opposite side of the wall, easy peasy. Only concern, but not really is how many items are currently on the circuit that you want to come off of. Easy job.

Take off the cover plate of the receptacle you are going to tie into to be sure you put a hole on the correct side of the stud. Fish wire down. Very simple unless there is something not explained

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I had ny basement built with plug on wall for TV. I don't use them. Instead, I run the power cable through the access hole to the floor and power from the floor. You can't put a powerbar or UPS behind a wall mounted TV to protect it from spikes, surges, brownouts etc.

So cut a hole beside a stud at TV height, at floor height, and just fish the cable through and manage power on the floor behind/inside a cabinet to keep it clean. Way easier than trying to run an outlet at TV height.
    Just use the hole the new box would be installed in and the hole where the receptacle in the bedroom is (remove the existing box to add the new wire into) no new holes, except the one a plug will be in.
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 01-10-2020 at 04:57 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

I believe that violates electrical code since those power cables from TV manufacturers are not rated for in-wall (something to do with heat I think).
    OP could get in huge trouble if that ends up being a cause of a building fire since he's in a condo.

Thanks for the input all.

Agree that the easiest option would be to run the TV’s own power cable alongside the low voltage signal cables in the wall, but I am a bit concerned about staying code compliant to avoid liability. Browsing the CoC site, it doesn’t sound like I would necessarily have to pull a permit to tie in a renovation box If I do it myself.

Would prefer to do the work myself from a learning perspective and it doesn’t sound terribly high risk or complex, but has anyone had an electrician due work like this? Any sense of what a reasonable charge would be?

I suspect if I’m stuck bringing an electrician in I’m likely better off just using a kit like Blitz suggested above which I can install without any issue.

Just being in a condominium complex is going to make things more complicated and especially so if you wish to be compliant with the condo rules, I would expect that to do anything similar to what you want is going to need some involvement with your condo association. Liability would be one of the main reasons this is probably no longer a diy project, I highly doubt that there are many condo associations out there that are okay with you doing your own electrical stuff in your unit.