• 51% or higher

1 1.43%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Current indoor humidity?

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if you have really old windows, i would set that Window Efficiency factor to 1 which will limit your humidity down to like 20% or something.
    From looking at the Ecobee website, I can simply keep my humidity level at the suggested 36%. Then, turn Frost Control on and finally, change the Window Efficiency factor (I'll do 1 as you suggested as the house is 20 years old with original windows). Then, it will target 36% default but then change automatically based on the outdoor temperature?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

What does humidity do in winter? I've unplugged my water line to the humidifier for years now.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

How do I lower my humidity and stop my window bottoms from freezing up? I set the thermostat to 15% (min) and flipped my humidifier to "summer" but it doesn't change at all, stays around 28-30% on the main floor and closer to 40% on the upper floor (where the bigger issue is). Do I need to physically take out the water line maybe?

The master bathroom exhaust fan drips as well when someone is taking a shower, so it's either blocked or the insulation isn't doing its job in this cold.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hilarious, I started this thread looking for how to increase my humidity above 30-35%, and seems everyone else wants to drop theirs down to 20% or lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    How do I lower my humidity and stop my window bottoms from freezing up? I set the thermostat to 15% (min) and flipped my humidifier to "summer" but it doesn't change at all, stays around 28-30% on the main floor and closer to 40% on the upper floor (where the bigger issue is). Do I need to physically take out the water line maybe?

The master bathroom exhaust fan drips as well when someone is taking a shower, so it's either blocked or the insulation isn't doing its job in this cold.
    If you open the blinds half way up, it helps a lot. I have triple pane windows with the humidity reading at 29% and it still frosts up a bit if I have the shades open only 2-3 inches at the bottom.

If you leave the furnace fan on all the time, the circulating air helps warm on the windows more too.

To lower humidity quick, you can open the door or windows for a little bit, the -30°C air basically has no moisture.

As for the bathroom fan dripping, you probably have compacted insulation in your attic and it's not doing its job as well anymore.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    To lower humidity quick, you can open the door or windows for a little bit, the -30°C air basically has no moisture.
    Yes, easy to drop indoor humidity by getting more outdoor air into your house.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    If you open the blinds half way up, it helps a lot. I have triple pane windows with the humidity reading at 29% and it still frosts up a bit if I have the shades open only 2-3 inches at the bottom.

If you leave the furnace fan on all the time, the circulating air helps warm on the windows more too.

As for the bathroom fan dripping, you probably have compacted insulation in your attic and it's not doing its job as well anymore.
    I actually have no blinds at all haha - house is new and we haven't got around to blinds yet.

If I leave my furnace fan on 24/7, is is also going to heat 24/7 because it's sucking in -30 air? I need to learn more about the HVAC used in new homes nowadays, I am just not used to it.

As for the bathroom fan, the house is brand new so I doubt anything is compacted (assuming that happens over time?). I'm going to try get the builder to come look at it. I wonder if something is blocked or if they forgot to insulate the vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    From looking at the Ecobee website, I can simply keep my humidity level at the suggested 36%. Then, turn Frost Control on and finally, change the Window Efficiency factor (I'll do 1 as you suggested as the house is 20 years old with original windows). Then, it will target 36% default but then change automatically based on the outdoor temperature?
    yup exactly. If you set your window factor to 1, as soon as it hits -11 or lower outside temp, it will override your humidity setpoint to 15% with Frost Control on. When it gets back up to hotter than -11 then it will honour your original setpoint of 36%.

You may want to try setting the factor to 3 or 2 insetad of 1 at first, but if you find they are still frosting then bump it down to 1.

I actually have no blinds at all haha - house is new and we haven't got around to blinds yet.

If I leave my furnace fan on 24/7, is is also going to heat 24/7 because it's sucking in -30 air? I need to learn more about the HVAC used in new homes nowadays, I am just not used to it.

As for the bathroom fan, the house is brand new so I doubt anything is compacted (assuming that happens over time?). I'm going to try get the builder to come look at it. I wonder if something is blocked or if they forgot to insulate the vent.
    In this cold weather you should be leaving your bathroom fan on for at least 30 mins after a hot shower to prevent the leaking. I installed these switches on all my bathroom fans which helps:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00313JXB0/..._BIkhEbSG9DXTY

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    ah, good to know. I've got an ecobee that defaults to 36% and my windows are a disaster.
    FYI I tried the fan running a lot thing and bumped my frost control up. Ice everywhere. So I bumped mine back down to 4.
    Cos...

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    In this cold weather you should be leaving your bathroom fan on for at least 30 mins after a hot shower to prevent the leaking. I installed these switches on all my bathroom fans which helps:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00313JXB0/..._BIkhEbSG9DXTY
    Leaving the fan on after the shower makes the leaking/dripping a lot worse (faster and more water), so we have been turning it off about 5 minutes after showering and then it eventually stops, 10-15 min later or so. Also in case it's blocked, my thinking was it would be better not to suck a bunch of moisture up where it can't escape but I really don't know to be honest. It's the turning on of the fan that causes the dripping - if we don't run the fan it doesn't drip.

Good idea on the timer - that is probably something we should get regardless.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Leaving the fan on after the shower makes the leaking/dripping a lot worse (faster and more water), so we have been turning it off about 5 minutes after showering and then it eventually stops, 10-15 min later or so. Also in case it's blocked, my thinking was it would be better not to suck a bunch of moisture up where it can't escape but I really don't know to be honest. It's the turning on of the fan that causes the dripping - if we don't run the fan it doesn't drip.

Good idea on the timer - that is probably something we should get regardless.
    You more then likely have a lot of ice build up in your attic. The increase in air circulation and exhausting of warm air is melting the ice thus you get more drips. If this is a new house cash in that new home warranty man. That's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    You more then likely have a lot of ice build up in your attic. The increase in air circulation and exhausting of warm air is melting the ice thus you get more drips. If this is a new house cash in that new home warranty man. That's not good.
    Thanks I will get on it ASAP.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Not much you can do about it without better windows when it's this cold. Assuming RH of 30% and room temperature at 20C, dew point is at 1.9C. If your sill is frosting, that means it's at 0C or less, so may the force be with you.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

your issue is likely that the flap that stops cold air coming in is stuck open causing the moist air to condense and drip.

To get rid of your humidity, run your HRV, which I think is standard now, for longer periods or constantly. Mine runs every 20 minutes and keeps my humidity in check.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I have nothing in the house to tell me what the humidity is... but the switch is set to 45% and windows have no frost

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thanks I will get on it ASAP.
    Get a look up there for sure before it warms up. If you have any frost inside your attic, get it documented withyour warranty people ASAP. "Attic rain" in newer houses is a super common problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    I have nothing in the house to tell me what the humidity is... but the switch is set to 45% and windows have no frost
    Sounds like you are winning at life. Hakuna Matata brother.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Get a look up there for sure before it warms up. If you have any frost inside your attic, get it documented withyour warranty people ASAP. "Attic rain" in newer houses is a super common problem.
    This is the same problem that happens when people put their Central Vacuums in a subzero garage. They take humid air from inside the house, suck it into a frozen canister and wonder why it is damaged from "ingesting" water.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    your issue is likely that the flap that stops cold air coming in is stuck open causing the moist air to condense and drip.

To get rid of your humidity, run your HRV, which I think is standard now, for longer periods or constantly. Mine runs every 20 minutes and keeps my humidity in check.
    Hopefully it's that, rather than an attic full of ice haha. Is the HRV just my ventilation fan (the one for the house, not the bathroom)?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think I can get them in by Wednesday, so it should still be absurdly cold when they come take a look and I should be able to easily demonstrate the issue.

EDIT: Just talked to the builder, they told me that they aren't allowed to put some sort of flap(?) on the exhaust fans anymore for hygiene reasons and the dripping is a common issue. They said everything is plastic for that reason so nothing can rot. They said to run the fan for minimum 20min after every shower (so the timer is a great idea). They are going to come look at it in 2 days regardless. They also said they have pictures of the attic and it's not going to be iced up. So hopefully it's all a minor issue.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-13-2020 at 12:04 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The issue with low humidity is a common problem in cold climates:

- nasal membranes dry out (more chances of getting sick)
    - dust floats in the air more readily (electrostatic charge) which also increases the total pollutant count
    - skin drys out and cracks

I always aim for 40% in general - I swapped out the simple pad humidifier in the main house furnace to a drum and it immediately bumped % from 30 to 40%.

I also aim for 45-50% in the bedrooms. We have separate humidifer for each room.

It really does make a difference over the months.

Yes, our low-E, expensive windows still frost up but ill gladly deal with wiping off moisture on occasion, than dealing with being sick.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast