Quantcast
Alberta public sector wages: 0% increase. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta public sector wages: 0% increase.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There has been lots of threads where I've debated this ad nauseam so excuse me if I don't get into it a bunch again and again, haha. I'll answer your questions and give some info. I'm happy to answer more as well. This is my experience from both my wife and my parents / aunts uncles all teaching in the primary level for CBE and RVS.

So some general thoughts and answers to your points
    - To be a teacher you either need to graduate from a B.Ed program (which can restrict your license and not all places have B.Ed programs anymore) or get a 'masters', technically a second major, to teach and get a certificate. You have to have practicum hours to get a license. Without the license, you legally cannot be in a room with the kids alone (education act).
    - You must get and maintain a license to be a teacher. Similar to P.Eng or a Red Seal. This is part of the reason for P/L days and the convention. Hours towards maintaining it. They are not inter-provincial like Red Seal though. Hence why teachers have a harder decision moving provinces or out of country.
    - Morning brain, I don't know what you mean about tenure increases. I'm going to say no. Once you hit the top of the scales that is it unless cost of living increases. Also there really isn't 'tenure' per-se like in a university. Just union seniority.
    - The 'steps' are years of complete teaching experience. Off half a year for mat leave? Lose half a year.
    - I wouldn't call that significant. Most union positions I've either hired for or negotiated seem to have 50-100% increase in less than 7 years. Not out of the norm but not crazy.
    - The jobs are definitely stressful. Too much to get into. Can you be a dog fuck of a teacher? Yes. Do we all know of shit teachers? Yes. Is that the same in every industry? Yes. Can teachers get fired? Yes. Is it hard because union? Yes.
    - The time kids are in the room =/= the time teachers need to work. I believe it is 32 or 36 hours instruction time right now. This means literally teaching the kids something. Not the 30 minutes for recess, not the 15 minutes in between. Then there are parent meetings, committees, clubs, sports (all a must since the board cuts and there aren't gym, music, art teachers anymore in the primary schools), marking, prep, etc. My wife goes back 6-8 days before the kids come back in August, she stays usually a week after the kids are done. The week in February is 1 day of meetings at the school, 2 days of conferences, then 1-2 days off making it a long weekend. My wife works about 50-60 hours a week normally and then around 70-80 hours at report card and parent teacher conferences time.
    - Marking and prepping are not a well know sort of thing. There are codes and rules that must be followed. You can be audited by your admin's at any time (at least in CBE/RVS) and must show your short range and long range plans. It is a detailed plan on how to get every kid successful by the end of the year. They're updated quite often. That's typically one of the biggers jobs when people mean prep-time. (https://www.uleth.ca/sites/default/f...nTemplates.pdf) I believe that is per kid and must be 'up to date' at any time.
    - Yes teachers are paid well here, I won't deny that. But so are most jobs. Teachers also need to afford housing. This is the same argument with nurses. If my wife could make similar money in her hometown in Saskatchewan (where our house just outside of Saskatoon would be 1/2 the price) I don't think they'd have as hard of a time attracting teachers.
    - The guaranteed pension thing, well we will see, with the current changes there are no guarantees and since it is member funded (https://atrf.com/teacher/faq). If the government loses all the money in the fund, it will be the teachers who have to increase the contributions to make up the shortfall, not the government.

Our experience with what you're discussing
    My wife graduated with a degree from the U of C and the 'after degree / masters' from St. Mary's in 2008, she has worked ever since either as a sub (1 year), temp (5 years) and it took her those 6 years to get a permanent position. She is step 7 this year. So I'll save you the math, took her 7 years to do her 6 years of education (my fault moving us to BC for my job) + 7 years of teaching AFTER getting her permanent (sub time doesnt count and temp only counts for part) and she makes $78,000 I think this year? So $5,600 a year of education and experience. For comparison sake, I'm about $9,000 per year of education / experience private sector. She will top out at $101,000 or something at age 40. Unless she goes into administration (which requires another degree, don't ask) that is where she will stop.

Both her mat leaves her benefits were canceled and we got no top up or contribution. We pay about $1k - $2k a year for her stuff in her classroom. Everything in the room except the computers, tables, and chairs are 'ours'. Kid rips a book? Guess we're heading to value village on the weekend to update her library. Changing from Grade 1 to 5 and have no stuff? Spending more money getting her class ready unless another teacher is giving her stuff. We regularly feed kids who don't have lunch as the school doesn't have a budget for 'spare food'. She pays between $800-$900 a month 'into' her pension so it isn't given to her. She works about 60 hours a week (she's actually in her office working right now) but yes she does get summers and 10 days at xmas off. Their benefits the last few years have been cut substantially.

Final thoughts
    I think that about covers all the 'how teachers have it better arguments'. Haha. As I always say, her job is good, but she isn't rolling in $130,000 a year working 30 hours a week with 9 weeks off a year. Oh how I wish that was true. I regularly have to pick my kids up from Daycare because it will close before she gets home. Dealing with things that have happened during the day.

In the end, as I always say in these threads, there are shortage of 'good' teachers. If you have a degree and want to get on that gravy job, you're 2 years of school away from landing one of those sweet gigs. I truly believe the fantasy of being a teacher and the reality of being one is very different and that is why it is hard to get them. I don't know if it is still true but back when my wife started it was about a 50% retention rate in the first 5 years as a teacher.

I'm not complaining about it or looking for sympathy. We've talked about my wife going into the private sector. Even the savings on trip costs alone (leaving in April or May on a trip vs summer?). Her pay would be higher and standard of living most likely better. And yes some of what I mention about the classroom and us feeding kids is not something all teachers deal with, nor high school teachers, and yes they're paid the same. But you couldn't lock me in a room with a bunch of hormonal teenagers for a shit ton of money.

Edit: No I didn't make my wife write this, there might be stuff that is wrong being 'an outsider'. I know there are other teachers and teachers husbands on here who might have other input.

If this were Reddit I'd upvote. If it were Facebook I would "love" it. I don't do Twatter or Instaham but you get the point. Until you've lived with a teacher for a decade and see what it takes to get to $95K a year you really have no idea.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Also, it isn't universal but I sure as shit wouldn't want to send my kids to public school in LA.
    Cos...

Quote Originally Posted by kobe tai View Post
    Again what certain jobs pay in another country are irrelevant. Alberta is not a desirable place to live due to our climate and the main draw here are the higher average wages and lower cost of living. People that live in NY or LA live there cause they are world class cities and this is why cost of living is so high. You're not that dumb I hope to not figure that out.

Do you have kids? I for one think that someone that is spending 8 hours a day with my kids better be well educated and reimbursed for their job as they are playing a huge role in their development as a member of society.
    Alberta is not a desirable place to live?

Ffs, no wars, don't have to worry about planes dropping out of the sky due to errant or not missiles, weather disasters on the whole do not kill scores of people and/or make many people homeless, good clean water, air pollution really isn't an issue, I don't have to worry about huge ass insects or animals killing me, little gang/gun violence - these things don't rate as positives for you?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Alberta is not a desirable place to live?

Ffs, no wars, don't have to worry about planes dropping out of the sky due to errant or not missiles, weather disasters on the whole do not kill scores of people and/or make many people homeless, good clean water, air pollution really isn't an issue, I don't have to worry about huge ass insects or animals killing me, little gang/gun violence - these things don't rate as positives for you?
    You look out your window or at your thermometer today?!?! LOL.

I get ya, I like it here. Enjoy it more than Vernon but hard to tell if that is because friends / family are here too.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So wait, by that logic, does that mean all the teachers and nurses working in Alberta doing so out of greed? I mean since they could all just choose to live somewhere so much better in exchange for a little less money?

Which is it, they are here to altruistically slog through a terrible job in a terrible place to live to make sure our kids get the education they deserve, or do they put up with how terrible the job and living in Alberta is for a great pay check and benefits.

I can wrap my head around either argument but you can’t have it both ways.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Aren't there a pile of ed grads that can't find jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    So wait, by that logic, does that mean all the teachers and nurses working in Alberta doing so out of greed? I mean since they could all just choose to live somewhere so much better in exchange for a little less money?

Which is it, they are here to altruistically slog through a terrible job in a terrible place to live to make sure our kids get the education they deserve, or do they put up with how terrible the job and living in Alberta is for a great pay check and benefits.

I can wrap my head around either argument but you can’t have it both ways.
    Don't be a retard.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Don't be a retard.
    lol glad you said it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Don't be a retard.
    No what is truly retarded are you guys arguing teachers are all Mother Theresa and their 6 figure salaries and side benefits are a happy accident.

End of the day all of us, including you guys who’s teacher spouses you are so quick to advocate for ever higher wages, are all inherently self interested in their stances on this issue. Some get more out of the current state of our education system than others. What is comical is pretending you aren’t self-interested in your positions.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-12-2020 at 01:11 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

No what is truly retarded are you guys arguing teachers are all Mother Theresa and their 6 figure salaries and side benefits are a happy accident.
    Aren't you younger than 30 making over 6 figures with an engineering degree? You know that isn't normal either right?
    Cos...

The main problem with the CBE (and really, we're only talking about the CBE here) is that it's nigh impossible to fire bad teachers. Unless a teacher's touching students' genitals, your chances of not being a teacher somewhere in the CBE are zero.

It's why getting into the CBE is so hard. There's a pile of teachers that should be gone that can't. If anything the so-called cutbacks can help the CBE get rid of those oompa-loompas as it provides a real excuse to turf them.

Thing is, I find the young teachers that my kids have had waaaaaaaay better than the older ones. Teaching methods have had massive advances in the past few years and the young teachers have way more strategies, and understand how to use those strategies, to get students to understand the curriculum. Also some of the teachers are smokin' hot which makes parent-teacher interviews way more fun.

Nah we are arguing the value of education. Judging by half the posts here I would say that we desperately need a good education system.

My Ride
    ute

Aren't you younger than 30 making over 6 figures with an engineering degree? You know that isn't normal either right?
    His value to the market is his value to the market.

It's perfectly normal for someone to be paid what someone else is willing to pay them.

Wait till you discover Instagram chicks making 250K by shaking their booty.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

We all make choices and sacrifices to achieve our end goals. I don’t pretend to not have chosen a career path that isn’t targeted towards my goals. Nor am I ashamed of it. My career also comes with an inherent level of risk associated with my compensation, risk that teachers do not take.

You guys are the ones arguing that Teachers are somehow altruistically immune from choosing to be teachers because it pays well above average and comes with a lifestyle they covet.

fact.

Nah we are arguing the value of education. Judging by half the posts here I would say that we desperately need a good education system.
    So they'll start to fuck up our kids if they get 0% raises for a while?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    His value to the market is his value to the market.

It's perfectly normal for someone to be paid what someone else is willing to pay them.
    We all make choices and sacrifices to achieve our end goals. I don’t pretend to not have chosen a career path that isn’t targeted towards my goals. Nor am I ashamed of it. My career also comes with an inherent level of risk associated with my compensation, risk that teachers do not take.

You guys are the ones arguing that Teachers are somehow altruistically immune from choosing to be teachers because it pays well above average and comes with a lifestyle they covet.
    I'm not arguing their immune at all. I'm saying that while you disagree, I've shown that the propaganda and beliefs of what teachers earn / work compared to reality is not true. And a teachers financial worth is probably more fairly compensated then you'd like to admit. I've shown they do work lots of hours. I've shown they don't have some magical lifestyle. I've shown they aren't compensated additionally with benefits, time off, or a pension. Yes the security is there, but so is the 20-50% drop in pay compared to someone in your (and my) position.

I agree with you guys that the market can pay engineers and doctors more. That's kind of my whole point. If you look at a lifetime of earnings you'll probably out-earn my wife 2x1. That's what I don't get about all this arguing about it. It isn't like my wife is some highschool drop out who was a bartender and just decided one day to teach. She worked for a very long time to have the career she has. Just like a lot of the professionals in the thread.
    Cos...

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Well the arbitrator declared it so there must be some basis to it.

Sounds to me like they are lucky they didn’t get cuts.
    It was also stated that it was not a judgement stating the government was not in a position to be able to give increases. Which reads to me like this arbitrator wants future arbitrations....They are government appointed and have a self preservation interest.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Last I checked Cost of living is done at inflation rate, so yes - i've got a shiney nickle that says they'll get a COLA adjustment but no automatic raise.

But they took away COLA for Alberta works and AISH.
    Not a chance. We used to "try" to have our increases match COLA and nothing more. This isn't like the 12% CFD got a couple years ago...We are talking we got increases of 1.5-2.5% if we were lucky, and those fell below COLA every single time. So my wages have been slowly falling behind (passive cuts, really) for 12-13 years? The hate narrative in here is really tiresome

Quote Originally Posted by redblack View Post
    At least they still have jobs. Many of my friends have received 0% increases for the last while and/or laid off.
    This is also a really tired argument. Cut it out, we all have different jobs, we all have different educations, we all have different demands, we aren't all the same person so we are all going to suffer different employment forces. This "we suffer so you should suffer" needs to just stop.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Dude, a teacher making 90K/yr put them above the 95th percentile in Canada.

Even in baller Calgary they're in the 80th percentile.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Dude, a teacher making 90K/yr put them above the 95th percentile in Canada.

Even in baller Calgary they're in the 80th percentile.
    And, how does that compare to other 4-6 year educated professionals? We're trying to establish worth with data are we not? I'm happy to have a data driven discussion.

Edit:
    How about I throw some of the first data out there then:

- Education, lets say teachers and engineers need the same education. I've established that isn't the case but we will go with it.
    - Responsibility, financially and safety I know engineers are more. I do think there is some inherent responsibility to teach and not kill 28 little kids but I know this will be a sticky point about babysitting so I'll let this go. I'll give the point to the engineer here.
    - Hours, I think I've shown that it is a split. You work much more defined and probably longer hours when you're there as a teacher. Where as (at least in my position) for an engineer (and our consultants I deal with daily) while there is crunch time at certain points in a project for the most part engineers are 9-5. So lets call it equal.
    - Pension, most places have an RRSP matching or D.C. pension. Equal.
    - Security, teachers definitely beat the engineers here.

So overall, I do agree the engineer should make more. The responsibility and 'worth' to the market is much more easily defined and financially a good engineer is worth more. Since APEGA is a bit hard to break down to one number, for 2019 salary recommendations I'll use those reported from the Consulting Engineers of Alberta.

Newbie EIT
    Engineer
    4 years education, 0 years experience, $74,000 a year recommended.

Teacher
    4-6 years education, 0 experience, $59,188 - $66,200.

Winner: Engineer by 11%-21%

Now, lets arbitrarily pick 5 years out:

Engineer - would have P.Eng, probably deemed a 'project engineer' at that point no?

4 years education, 5 years experience, $104,000 a year recommended.

Teacher
    4-6 years education, 5 experience, $76,550 - $ 83,580

Winner: Engineer by 20% - 26%

Now, lets arbitrarily pick 15 years out:

Engineer - probably a manager at that point no?

4 years education, 15 years experience, $127,000 a year recommended.

Teacher
    4-6 years education, 5 experience, $93,914 - $100,960

Winner: Engineer by 20% - 26%

So my point again stands, on equal footing, the teaching scale is less than engineers. Compound that 10-25% earnings over a lifetime and I think you guys all see the same data I do. Hence why, again, I don't understand how you can say this one individual position is over-paid considering the comparable professionalism, education requirements, and expectations.

Sources:
    https://www.rockyview.ab.ca/hr_benef...2016-2018/view
    https://www.cea.ca/files/Rate_guide/...20Salaries.pdf
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 01-12-2020 at 02:02 PM.
    Cos...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast