Quantcast
Alberta public sector wages: 0% increase. - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta public sector wages: 0% increase.

Jesus.. did not expect teachers doing little to no work making so much $$. Due to regular teacher strikes back in my school days, I assumed the teachers compensations are shit. But I guess those strikes really paid off. Great pay, great working hour, low low stress, job security, benefits and decent work life balance since the holidays are aligned with the children.

I dont care about the education/return. I look at the daily tasks and stress as great trade off. Stress is the number one impact on health. So you cant really put a price on that.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jesus.. did not expect teachers doing little to no work making so much $$. Due to regular teacher strikes back in my school days, I assumed the teachers compensations are shit. But I guess those strikes really paid off. Great pay, great working hour, low low stress, job security, benefits and decent work life balance since the holidays are aligned with the children.

I dont care about the education/return. I look at the daily tasks and stress as great trade off. Stress is the number one impact on health. So you cant really put a price on that.
    It's like you didn't read the thread at all.

Or, more likely, you're just trolling at this point.

Don't ever go full retard again.

I remember lots of noise about strikes, and definitely remember at least one 'work-to-rule' campaign, but I don't really remember any actual teacher strikes.

Apparently 2002 was the last one, and the one before that was 1978. So a couple years away at that rate.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...zes-in-alberta

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Temporary contracts 100% count. My wife was on continuous by 25, that was early but her entire group of friends (6 of them) she graduated with all had cont within a year of her. So say 26.

It’s even easier to get cont if you are with Catholic.
    Do you feel your wife is fairly compensated for her career? What is her thought on the wage freeze?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

She got paid a fuckton as a teacher, easily inline with what I made starting off in O&G during the boom. She takes a lot of offence with admin and the board which is terrible mismanaged rather than personalizing the wage considerations.

She left teaching 2 years ago to pursue another opportunity, end of the day she was sick of being a glorified babysitter forced to lie to parents by admin about the behavioural issues with everyone’s special snowflake and being handcuffed by the CBE’s regressive social agenda. Don’t even get her started on that joke of a 2 year “degree” she had to take to become a teacher (I’ve held back on arguing against the education requirements to become a teacher, because it’s frankly a 6 year joke of a program).

Her new role while far more stressful, more time consuming, and far lower paid has her working more directly with kids on her own terms where she can make far bigger impacts in their lives. She finds it far more fulfilling.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-12-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Stop making it hard on yourselves and compare Houston to Calgary in USD.
    Average High-School Teacher Salary: $73,074
    Calgary: $62,079 ($81K CAD: https://www.glassdoor.ca/Salaries/ca...970_KO8,15.htm )
    Houston: $62,454 ( https://www.salary.com/research/sala...ary/houston-tx )

Call this a wash, they're relatively similar. So it comes down to that 'purchasing power' idea.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings.jsp

Cost of Living Index:

Calgary: 71.30
    Houston: 64.70

Cost of Living Plus Rent:
    Calgary: 51.74
    Houston: 54.41

Groceries
    Calgary: 65.40
    Houston: 56.11

Local Purchasing Power Index:
    Calgary: 141.29
    Houston: 153.07

Biggest difference is that while Calgary's rent is significantly cheaper (20-40%), the cost to buy in Houston is really, really cheap (by 70%). So if you rent in both cities, Calgary is cheaper. Mortgage Rate interest is higher but they can also write that off.
    https://www.numbeo.com/property-inve...&city2=Calgary

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...&city2=Calgary

So if they're both renting, a teacher in Calgary does better than one in Houston. If they both buy, Houston is doing better. If Houston buys and Calgary rents, Houston is doing pretty good.

All in all, the idea their teachers are 'getting paid half' of what our teachers are still doesn't seem all that honest, or at the very least too small a sample size to be taken seriously. Purchasing Power in Houston is greater, and their teachers get paid roughly the same as the ones in Calgary. Are Alberta teachers still paid among the highest in the world? Probably. Based on non OECD and G8 countries alone, but who cares about them. I cared more about tossing out a couple random numbers and treating it like it meant anything, and here's some data that shows why.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    It's like you didn't read the thread at all.

Or, more likely, you're just trolling at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by kobe tai View Post
    Don't ever go full retard again.
    Lol. This thread is aggro. Calling people retard at least twice already in this thread. Yes, I didnt read all the comments.

Whats the fucking big deal? Just stating my surprise and envy. Calm your sensitive panties down.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

- - - Updated - - -Lol. This thread is aggro. Calling people retard at least twice already in this thread. Yes, I didnt read all the comments.

Whats the fucking big deal? Just stating my surprise and envy. Calm your sensitive panties down.
    lol did the hard-r trigger you mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Does the "no raises" also mean no cost of living increases?
    Correct, no CoL increase, so they are essentially getting a pay reduction by staying the same.

Lol @ a teacher being a low stress job.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

My wife is a nurse and her sister is a teacher, I wouldn't want either of their jobs for $100K/year, but thank goodness there are people willing to do what they do.

She got paid a fuckton as a teacher, easily inline with what I made starting off in O&G during the boom. She takes a lot of offence with admin and the board which is terrible mismanaged rather than personalizing the wage considerations.

She left teaching 2 years ago to pursue another opportunity, end of the day she was sick of being a glorified babysitter forced to lie to parents by admin about the behavioural issues with everyone’s special snowflake and being handcuffed by the CBE’s regressive social agenda. Don’t even get her started on that joke of a 2 year “degree” she had to take to become a teacher (I’ve held back on arguing against the education requirements to become a teacher, because it’s frankly a 6 year joke of a program).

Her new role while far more stressful, more time consuming, and far lower paid has her working more directly with kids on her own terms where she can make far bigger impacts in their lives. She finds it far more fulfilling.
    To add to this, not to mention the constant attempts to have a kid "diagnosed" with something or another just to have more funding for the school, none of which typically goes towards aiding the kid.

My wife is very happy to be on Mat leave. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    My wife is a nurse and her sister is a teacher, I wouldn't want either of their jobs for $100K/year, but thank goodness there are people willing to do what they do.
    Same here - have lots of teacher friends and my mom was a teacher. GF is a nurse and I know several other nurses. I wouldn't/couldn't do either job for literally double what they get paid.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    To add to this, not to mention the constant attempts to have a kid "diagnosed" with something or another just to have more funding for the school, none of which typically goes towards aiding the kid.

My wife is very happy to be on Mat leave. Lol.
    Yeah that is a crazy story to have the admin's telling you to back off. More sounds like jaded / tired admins. I know my wife and her board actively push diagnosis and it is typically beating the parents over the head to do something more than anything.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If anyone wants to have a conversation about testing/diagnoses/funding/administration, I'd love to. Will have to be over beers though. I don't want to type something I'll regret.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I read a couple comments in this thread about how teachers have it good because they get summers and holidays off, but are probably neglecting to remember that teachers lack flexibility in sick days and vacation so in my mind that balances out.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    I read a couple comments in this thread about how teachers have it good because they get summers and holidays off, but are probably neglecting to remember that teachers lack flexibility in sick days and vacation so in my mind that balances out.
    Sick days no, vacations yes.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    They get lots of holiday (about 3 months off total), but they don't get to choose when to take it, and they are only on vacation during times of year that it is 2-3X more expensive to travel and ridiculously crowded everywhere that is desirable to travel to during December, April, July and August.

They can take random vacation days, but not only do they not get paid, they also have to pay for a substitute teacher to cover for them so it's a double whammy. I believe it also has to be approved by the principal. When I was growing up my parents elected to do this a few times because it was still cheaper for my mom to not get paid AND pay for a sub out of her own pocket than travel with the family in high season.

Being sick I don't think is a big issue, especially if you have a note for something legit - you aren't forced to come to work.

I believe their pay maxes out around $96K/yr with full tenure unless you go further with your masters and become an AP, VP, principal, etc.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    They get lots of holiday (about 3 months off total), but they don't get to choose when to take it, and they are only on vacation during times of year that it is 2-3X more expensive to travel and ridiculously crowded everywhere that is desirable to travel to during December, April, July and August.

They can take random vacation days, but not only do they not get paid, they also have to pay for a substitute teacher to cover for them so it's a double whammy. I believe it also has to be approved by the principal. When I was growing up my parents elected to do this a few times because it was still cheaper for my mom to not get paid AND pay for a sub out of her own pocket than travel with the family in high season.

Being sick I don't think is a big issue, especially if you have a note for something legit - you aren't forced to come to work.

I believe their pay maxes out around $96K/yr with full tenure unless you go further with your masters and become an AP, VP, principal, etc.
    Depends on education and the board. It can range from $93k I think to $101k. So some do definitely break into the 100's being a standard teacher.
    Cos...

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Sick days no, vacations yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

That's what I was referring to by vacation days and lack of flexibility. It is nice to have months off but as you said, you don't get to choose it. When chatting with my friend, my understanding was that she was responsible for getting a substitute teacher.

For sick days, I suppose it is idiosyncratic and depends on the individual but my friend cares about her students quite a bit so she makes a concerted effort to take care of herself and might even go to work sick if caught between a rock and a hard place.

Overall, I think people like to cite labour laws and work culture but sometimes these things don't align perfectly so I am just pointing that out. Teachers also have alot to catch up on if they're taking off a couple days to go on the mend.

But anyway, I digress. I think nurses and teachers are both underappreciated regardless of pay. That's my stance.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast