Quantcast
Alberta public sector wages: 0% increase. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta public sector wages: 0% increase.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough. Looking at the wages vs. education vs. time off vs. abundant supply of qualified teachers it seems to me that teachers are fairly compensated.

3 of my buddies wives are teachers in the US and 1 is a nurse. They are amazed at how much teachers/nurses make in Canada. In the US teachers make significantly less (think half) compared to Canada and nurses 30% less.
    Mcdonalds workers here make twice what they do in the US too. My point being is that it's all relative to the cost of living.

Fair enough. Looking at the wages vs. education vs. time off vs. abundant supply of qualified teachers it seems to me that teachers are fairly compensated.

3 of my buddies wives are teachers in the US and 1 is a nurse. They are amazed at how much teachers/nurses make in Canada. In the US teachers make significantly less (think half) compared to Canada and nurses 30% less. Based on the little research I’ve done Canadian teachers are actually some of the highest paid in the world.
    yeah lets compare apples to oranges. makes sense

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Found this interesting study:

https://www.cgdev.org/blog/chart-wee...and-deskilling

Apparently we should move to Africa. Hahaha

Based on the other list I found, Canada is 5th (https://www.chalk.com/wp-content/upl..._1-496x600.png). So If you take the study of a percentage of GDP and place Canada in between the countries calculated We would be somewhere around Turkey, Congo, and Sudan.
    Cos...

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by 95EagleAWD View Post
    “Only” 38? At what age is $100K appropriate lol?

My gf has been making over $100K at her government job for 3 years now; she’s 31. She’s been there for 9 years.

Seems about right to me.
    Well IMO for a Jr High or High school teacher, too much any age, or at last <50

if it's other professions like engineering, sales, medical, university professors, etc... for sure making $100K before is acceptable/expected.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Mcdonalds workers here make twice what they do in the US too. My point being is that it's all relative to the cost of living.
    If only anything in southern Ontario was relative to the cost of living...

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

If only anything in southern Ontario was relative to the cost of living...
    I always find this argument interesting. Are you suggesting that we SHOULD be more like Ontario or that they have a same problem?

Minimum wage used to mean minimum income to raise a family. Now, it isn't even a guarantee in some places to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Well IMO for a Jr High or High school teacher, too much any age, or at last <50

if it's other professions like engineering, sales, medical, university professors, etc... for sure making $100K before is acceptable/expected.
    Why do you say that? It isn't like teaching Jr or Sr high requires different (read less) education. If I am reading your statement correctly that means you don't think a teacher with 30-40 years experience and the education should ever crack 6 figures?
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 01-12-2020 at 11:06 AM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    Why do you say that? It isn't like teaching Jr or Sr high requires different (read less) education. If I am reading your statement correctly that means you don't think a teacher with 30-40 years experience and the education should ever crack 6 figures?
    I'm always amazed at how little people value educators. You couldn't pay me enough toe be in a room full of tweens/teens day in and day out. I'm not dealing with that shit.

Besides, let's also consider that it's free babysitting for your little miracles. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This is just a false narrative being spread by union types. You can do a quick fact check and prove your statement false.

Salary range for teachers in Los Angeles $40-$80; New York $50-$80; Houston $40-80. These places all have a much higher cost of living then Calgary, and in everyone of these cities doctors, lawyers, and engineers all definitely make more then Calgary. In Houston every single O&G job makes more then in Calgary (source - my own company openly pays 30% more to American based positions over Canada).

Albertan teachers appear to be compensated greater then almost all other places on the planet. Again, IÂ’m not saying they are overpaid, however, if you think they should be paid more you, and the union for that matter, need to give real reasons why. This thought that a job roles salary should increase year after year forever is not a reason. There is an abundant supply of people trying to get into teacher so maybe the role is fairly compensated?

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    I always find this argument interesting. Are you suggesting that we SHOULD be more like Ontario or that they have a same problem?

Minimum wage used to mean minimum income to raise a family. Now, it isn't even a guarantee in some places to survive.

Ontario’s problem is that housing isn’t affordable and wages don’t go up frequently.

Someone mentioned a $500,000 McMansion in Calgary? That’s an 800 square foot condo in Toronto.

What I am getting out of this thread is that there are a lot of job snobs on beyond, people who honestly believe they and the workforce value they provide to society is better then most others. One thing that has been confirmed by this thread is I am firmly entrenched on or near the bottom rung of a good number of beyond member's job value/respectability ladder. My father's second career was being a commercial realtor and while he was very successful at it, all he would've or could've ever been in the eyes of quite a few beyond members is scum. Simple scum just because he was a realtor.

Fucking sad world IMO, kind of like one of my SIL's who said she could never befriend a garbage man - she actually said that someone who drove a garbage truck for a living would not be someone she would have as a friend and it sure appears that that could be said of many a beyond member.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Ontario’s problem is that housing isn’t affordable and wages don’t go up frequently.

Someone mentioned a $500,000 McMansion in Calgary? That’s an 800 square foot condo in Toronto.
    Toronto has Shitty Suburbs with big cheap homes too, they just skew it by calling them different cities.

What do you think an 800 sqft condo costs in Calgary? Condos are expensive in all Major Canadian cities. The center of the universe isn’t nearly as special as you think it is.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...=1578850578573
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

https://data.oecd.org/teachers/teachers-salaries.htm

Average US Teacher Salary, 15 years experience: $64426
    Average Canada Teacher Salary, 15 Years experience: $67301

http://www.nea.org/home/2017-2018-av...er-salary.html

Starting teacher salaries by state,low $30s to high $40s with New Jersey and DC being above the $50K mark.

Alberta's $58,500 average starting teacher wage would be at $44,800ish USD, putting new Alberta teachers in the top fifth in the US but behind: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Wyoming.

Could throw in a tax comparison if we really wanted to get into the nitty gritty of it but I think it's clear that the idea of 'teachers get paid double here' probably doesn't hold up all that much when talking in a broad sense. Some teachers here might get paid than some teachers there depending on location, experience, etc. Similarly a 15 year teacher in Massachusetts definitely gets paid double the starting teacher in Montana there are probably teachers in Alberta getting paid double of some teachers in the U.S as well.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Toronto has Shitty Suburbs with big cheap homes too, they just skew it by calling them different cities.

What do you think an 800 sqft condo costs in Calgary? Condos are expensive in all Major Canadian cities. The center of the universe isn’t nearly as special as you think it is.

Except that’s right downtown, not half an hour away like mine is. And the suburbs around here are sometimes up to two hours from downtown; is that a realistic commute for you?

A condo like that, in downtown Toronto, is $800,000 easily.

http://propertiesdowntown.ca/Listing...umber=C4648682

Toronto doesn't really call their suburbs cities just because, they're all different cities that grew into each other.

But regardless of that, you're not getting 800 square feet for $500K in Toronto either. You'll find some small condos in the $450-500K range, but they won't have a parking space.

https://condos.ca/toronto/downtown/c...ng_spots_min=1

What I am getting out of this thread is that there are a lot of job snobs on beyond, people who honestly believe they and the workforce value they provide to society is better then most others. One thing that has been confirmed by this thread is I am firmly entrenched on or near the bottom rung of a good number of beyond member's job value/respectability ladder. My father's second career was being a commercial realtor and while he was very successful at it, all he would've or could've ever been in the eyes of quite a few beyond members is scum. Simple scum just because he was a realtor.

Fucking sad world IMO, kind of like one of my SIL's who said she could never befriend a garbage man - she actually said that someone who drove a garbage truck for a living would not be someone she would have as a friend and it sure appears that that could be said of many a beyond member.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post

Sooo....

I work in the utilities industry, my brother is a social worker for the immigrant society of Calgary, a lot of my family are teachers, my father in law and step dad are high up in residential real estate (owns brokerage, past president of CREB / AREA), my one cousin works for a minister in Ottawa for the Libs, and the last of my cousins are cops.... then you add my friends (cops, utilities, realtors, social workers, City of Calgary management, AHS, and of course a Chiropractor). I definitely am the brunt of most 'over paid, undervalued' comments around here.

No wonder I am walking around triggered half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    https://data.oecd.org/teachers/teachers-salaries.htm

Average US Teacher Salary, 15 years experience: $64426
    Average Canada Teacher Salary, 15 Years experience: $67301

http://www.nea.org/home/2017-2018-av...er-salary.html

Starting teacher salaries by state,low $30s to high $40s with New Jersey and DC being above the $50K mark.

Alberta's $58,500 average starting teacher wage would be at $44,800ish USD, putting new Alberta teachers in the top fifth in the US but behind: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Wyoming.

Could throw in a tax comparison if we really wanted to get into the nitty gritty of it but I think it's clear that the idea of 'teachers get paid double here' probably doesn't hold up all that much when talking in a broad sense. Some teachers here might get paid than some teachers there depending on location, experience, etc. Similarly a 15 year teacher in Massachusetts definitely gets paid double the starting teacher in Montana there are probably teachers in Alberta getting paid double of some teachers in the U.S as well.

Excuse me, facts are only allowed on page 1. We're on page 2 now. It is like google, you don't always want to go to page 2.
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 01-12-2020 at 12:16 PM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Except that’s right downtown, not half an hour away like mine is. And the suburbs around here are sometimes up to two hours from downtown; is that a realistic commute for you?

A condo like that, in downtown Toronto, is $800,000 easily.

http://propertiesdowntown.ca/Listing...umber=C4648682
    Sounds like a real gem of a place to live, the benefits keep stacking up. You will never catch me advocating for why Toronto is such a great place lol.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Toronto doesn't really call their suburbs cities just because, they're all different cities that grew into each other.

But regardless of that, you're not getting 800 square feet for $500K in Toronto either. You'll find some small condos in the $450-500K range, but they won't have a parking space.

https://condos.ca/toronto/downtown/c...ng_spots_min=1
    Our 820 square foot condo was $450,000 but it was a gem of a find. In the beach too, right where we wanted.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a real gem of a place to live, the benefits keep stacking up. You will never catch me advocating for why Toronto is such a great place lol.
    Lol besides housing, there’s not much terrible out it.

It was 13 degrees yesterday

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Last I checked Cost of living is done at inflation rate, so yes - i've got a shiney nickle that says they'll get a COLA adjustment but no automatic raise.

But they took away COLA for Alberta works and AISH.
    No COLA. Six of the past seven years have been 0%, somewhere in the middle there was a 2% year.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

This is just a false narrative being spread by union types. You can do a quick fact check and prove your statement false.

Salary range for teachers in Los Angeles $40-$80; New York $50-$80; Houston $40-80. These places all have a much higher cost of living then Calgary, and in everyone of these cities doctors, lawyers, and engineers all definitely make more then Calgary. In Houston every single O&G job makes more then in Calgary (source - my own company openly pays 30% more to American based positions over Canada).

Albertan teachers appear to be compensated greater then almost all other places on the planet. Again, IÂ’m not saying they are overpaid, however, if you think they should be paid more you, and the union for that matter, need to give real reasons why. This thought that a job roles salary should increase year after year forever is not a reason. There is an abundant supply of people trying to get into teacher so maybe the role is fairly compensated?
    Again what certain jobs pay in another country are irrelevant. Alberta is not a desirable place to live due to our climate and the main draw here are the higher average wages and lower cost of living. People that live in NY or LA live there cause they are world class cities and this is why cost of living is so high. You're not that dumb I hope to not figure that out.

Do you have kids? I for one think that someone that is spending 8 hours a day with my kids better be well educated and reimbursed for their job as they are playing a huge role in their development as a member of society.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast