Quantcast
Age of your furnace and what troubles has it had - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of your furnace and what troubles has it had

Default Age of your furnace and what troubles has it had

Could've placed this in ES' thread but didn't want to muddy up that thread.

So how old is your furnace and how much have you spent keeping it running?

Our furnace is celebrating its 40th birthday, an Airco, and in the 23+ years we've lived here, I have replaced the belt once and the motor once - I probably spent more time driving to/from Princess Auto to get a new motor than I did replacing it. Aside from that, regular filter replacement and regular cleaning in the furnace. I think it's been a great furnace, works when called upon, less than $200 maintenance over those 23 years not including filters.

My Ride
    Trucks

26 yr old Carrier. Replaced the blower and inducer because I felt like it, before my first kid was born 5 years ago. Kept parts as spares, replaced the thermocouple like 10 years ago. $0 spent on actual breakdowns, $200 or so on re-conditioning it. Much better than the 3 hot water tanks I’ve had in 15 years.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

20 years old. Original furnace from when home was built. 2nd owner.

Lennox.

Had to replace the circuit board/control panel a few years back during winter season $500ish with labour. Would of been more but I lucked out and found a 780Tuner member who did side-work and didn't charge much for labour. Supplied him with the part I got from AMRE Supply.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

6 years old, needed a new blower after 18mo not under warranty. Can’t remember the cost.

Had 3 service calls within first year while under warranty. Unit is Armstrong.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    6 years old, needed a new blower after 18mo not under warranty. Can’t remember the cost.

Had 3 service calls within first year while under warranty. Unit is Armstrong.
    Service calls for what?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Service calls for what?
    Flame sensor issues mostly, needed to be reset daily for a while there, went through 3 flame sensors before the issues went away.

But again, 6 months later it needed a new blower.

I would never cheap out on an furnace in the future ( not that I did on this one, it came within the house ), easily a solid investment in the home.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Flame sensor issues mostly, needed to be reset daily for a while there, went through 3 flame sensors before the issues went away.

But again, 6 months later it needed a new blower.

I would never cheap out on an furnace in the future ( not that I did on this one, it came within the house ), easily a solid investment in the home.
    Just like new car shopping, talk to the parts dept before believing the salesperson. Expensive furnace does not equal reliable furnace.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

No idea, but definitely 30+ years old. In 15+ years of ownership, I replaced the motor once.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

18 y/o Carrier 58PAV, mid-efficiency unit. Did the flame sensor once (plus cleaned it a couple of times) and the blower motor died a few years back. The heat exchangers are apparently known for cracking on these, I may have to check it at some point.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

40 year old lennox, changed the fan motor a couple times in the 13 years i have lived here.
    Last edited by Thaco; 01-11-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Original Lennox furnaces, so about 30 years old. My upstairs one is a G8D2-55-2, main/Downstairs is G8Q3-90-4. I believe these models were actually produced in the late 70s/early 80s so pretty old technology (no circuit board, just a gas valve, but still 24v)

Only been in this house for about a year and a couple months and so far I’ve retrofitted an ac on upstairs furnace only, and blower motor failed a few months ago (also on the upstairs). Replaced the motor myself and cost was around $140. Also added an ecobee3 lite and and ecobee 4 as soon as I moved in, I think that was around 350ish. I get atco to check them every year to make sure they aren’t leaking CO but besides that planning on keeping these til they die.

My Ride
    something green

The only older model furnace I've ever come across that really deserve to be replaced because they are dangerous or total piles are Flamemasters, old model Amanas and gravity furnaces with wild pilots.. Old Lennox's, airco's and stuff like that are battleships and will probably outlast the structure.
    Mandating high efficiency furnaces is also quite dumb, there a lot of places those furnaces simply don't work or belong.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    KTM

I feel like this thread will prove any efficiency gained in new furnaces will be lost in maintenance and repairs.

Lennox 93% Nine year old, no money spent on maintenance yet, but with caveat that I do minor tuneups myself. Also did one free ATCO gas inspection, where they come by and give you a few pointers on maintenance.

Cleaning the flame sensor twice a winter is pretty much normal for me now, will probably splurge on a spare sensor this year just to have it handy. Definitely has its quirks though, it does not always fire up in the exact same way each and every time. I think there is some sort of circuitry in there that will occasionally do a self test regime mixed in with regular cycles.

If I did not know anything about maintenance, no doubt money would have been spent a couple times at least.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-12-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    Trumps' signature is fraud by design.

24 year old Carrier mid-efficiency, haven't been here long enough to have to do anything to it other than changing the filter.

No fancy schmancy flame sensor in our old beastie, just a thermocouple. No control board whatsoever.

18 year old Lennox. Blower replaced when we moved in 11 years ago. Guy said they were basically a guaranteed failure part on that model.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

7 year old Lennox and its a huge piece of shit. It randomly throws fits and decides to kick out after about 2 minutes of running and will continue that cycle 20 or so times. The error lights are useless at diagnosing the issue. Within the first year of owning it it kicked out in the middle of winter and I woke up to my house being 12 degrees. Thankfully it was on warranty and the circuit board was replaced.

So far I've replaced the flame sensor once, a primary limit switch, a pressure switch, rewired the blower motor (multiple speeds so just increased the speed by swapping wires) and spent probably about 50 hours total over the course of the last 5 years trying to diagnose WTF is wrong with it when it goes into its fits. I have HVAC buddies and electricians over but the symptoms are never the same so we can never narrow down what the issue is.

When I read your guy's stories about your old furnaces that just work it makes me very jealous. I've got an absolute lemon and I blame it entirely on all the "high efficiency" technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    rally pig

almost 7 year old, only issue so far was last January 2019 with a faulty pressure switch.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

My house was build in 1995 and came with a Lennox Diplomat still running strong. I have been here for six years and I have done the flame sensor and pressure switch I refuse to upgrade it as it has been so problem free. I work for a builder and the amount of issues I see with brand new furnaces and hot water tanks blows my mind

one thing I need to do eventually is the Hot water tank its the original John woods 50 Gal but knock on wood its been 100% problem free, when I bought the home the home inspector was like " that HWT is a ticking time bomb"...... fast forward 6 years zero issues and I sort of want to let it play out and see how long it will last

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast