Quantcast
Junk removal - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Junk removal

My Ride
    KTM

Default Junk removal

Looking for suggestions on the cheapest and most efficient way to remove junk. My wife’s father passed away last week and I am trying to help get everything in order. He was a bit of a hoarder and there is LOTS to get rid of. There isn’t a huge amount of money to cover costs so I am trying to do this as cost effective as possible.

When I say there is lots to get rid of I mean lots. I have a long box truck and it would not be a good use of time running it back and forth from the dump.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking renting the largest uhaul I could and filling it and doiing trips back and forth from the dump.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I think heavyfuel is a junker or operates 1-800-Junk or the latter.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

We went through this recently with an uncle of mine who passed away unexpectedly but he was a hard core haorder - we took approximately 330 cubic yards of stuff out of his place. My mom rented a big dumpster from the Garbage Good Guys and they were very prompt in bringing an empty container once we had filled one up.

330 cubic yards, imagine a 1200 square foot bungalow with 7.5 feet of stuff on one floor - that's what we got rid of. Now in reality, at the start is was more because it wasn't compacted down - once stuff found its way to the dumpster it was all packed in quite a bit more tightly.

If you've got a lot of metal to get rid of, just use one of the freelance metal pickup guys on kijiji as every commercial service will want to charge you an arm and a leg to take metal away. Chemicals, batteries, paint, etc - load it up and take it to one of the fire halls that had a chemical drop off facility.

Some of the stuff you may be able to sell on kijiji, I was actually amazed at how much I was able to get rid of that way. The most difficult thing to get rid of for us was a 1956 Studebaker President but eventually I used kijiji as a last ditch effort and kijiji came through with many prospective buyers very quickly, so much so that I didn't even have to haggle on price.

PM me if you want to pick my brain, it was a 16 month journey for us because we also had to rebuild a completely worn out house to make it saleable. 9 months cleaning and clearing out, 7 months rebuilding, less than 4 days to sell at 97.5%!of my Mom's asking price, after the clean out the house could've only been sold for less than the land value because it was so worn out. New electrical panel, actually new everything aside from drywall, siding, roof and wiring.

My Ride
    KTM

I remember reading your thread and also looking through your FS items so appreciate your perspective.

I haven’t looked to much into detail on the bins but most seem to be 300 plus dump fees and based on what’s sitting there now and what’s to come it will add up fast. I’m not getting a ton of help so sorting and trying to sell stuff is taking a back burner to only items that I know are worth money.

Im not sure what my mother in law plans to do with the house - stay or move. It needs a Reno for sure but that would also fall in my hands so I doubt I have the time to take on the project if she does decide to sell.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

the 300 plus dump fees will add up fast, but it's still the cheapest option for true disposal.

Anything you can sell or give away on Kijiji is good. You can have a "free garage sale" on a weekend and people will take a lot of shit. But once it comes to dumping, those dumpsters are the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I used 1-800-JUnk recently and they were very good. I don't think they are the cheapest but they were professional and friendly.

I have a roll off dumpster contact PM me if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember reading your thread and also looking through your FS items so appreciate your perspective.

I haven’t looked to much into detail on the bins but most seem to be 300 plus dump fees and based on what’s sitting there now and what’s to come it will add up fast. I’m not getting a ton of help so sorting and trying to sell stuff is taking a back burner to only items that I know are worth money.

Im not sure what my mother in law plans to do with the house - stay or move. It needs a Reno for sure but that would also fall in my hands so I doubt I have the time to take on the project if she does decide to sell.
    Time is money - $300 for the bin, dump fees are a wash. Is your time plus the cost of a uhaul worth $300? If money is tight, than sort through the stuff and pile it up in the back yard for now. Deal with getting rid of the stuff in the spring when it warms up. Also, let the immediate neighbors know what's going on just as a precaution.

I'd recommend finding out what the MIL wants to do first since she is still is still living there, if she's okay with getting rid of stuff then she needs to be aware of the costs.