Quantcast
cca 450 is it enough for this -30 weather? - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: cca 450 is it enough for this -30 weather?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Name:  e69ff112f65aae1e55fb0806a141e0bb9fade3b72481dad1de29cec519204d61.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  49.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I know big-boy BMW cars require a dealership trip and at least an hour to change a battery because they need to get into the ECU and "advise the car" that its battery is about to be changed. $800 on a 5-series for example.
    *Unless you connect 12V to it so it never knows it was changed...

- - - Updated - - -

Yet an i8 comes with a 50-pound lead acid battery stashed in the front somewhere awkward like footwell area... WtF!?
    Because racecar, or not?
    An M4 is 10x the racecar that an i8 is. Old timey heavy battery makes way more sense in the i8 than the M4.

i8 is a prius with butterfly doors.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

OP bailed on us. Come back and update thread
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@rach what's up bro?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Higher CCA isn't necessarily a better thing. If you have two batteries, both of the same physical size, but one has a higher CCA rating it means that battery may have thinner plates. Thinner plates with more surface area increases the CCA capacity but at the sacrifice of durability and longevity. Best to stick with the stock CCA rating, IMO.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    An M4 is 10x the racecar that an i8 is. Old timey heavy battery makes way more sense in the i8 than the M4.

i8 is a prius with butterfly doors.
    Is my sarcasm detector off? There's no way you can be serious. "i8 is a Prius with butterfly doors"?¿ I might also prefer an M4 but it's not blowing away an i8.

Stupid Top Gear video, but the info is widely available. It's not a Prius-style of hybrid. It takes a considerable effort in weight reduction design and carbon fibre to get a hybrid at less than 3,400 pounds.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Go drive an i8. Incredibly underwhelming.

It’s all show no go, the only reason the M4 didn’t blow it away is rwd vs 4wd. It was never even supposed to be a good racecar.

The i8 is a rolling publicity stunt.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

ok sorry for late updates
    I have my truck on and boost up the civic few days ago, and it has been starting fine, i left it in the garage overnight, with a battery heater on..(found one in the basement),
    and every night basically i just wrap it around the battery, and it has been sitting for 10hrs last night, and it started fine this morning.
    and i havnet notice any swelling on the battery..so im assuming the battery still good??

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You could still test it. You probably still have battery warranty. Or whatever.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Old trucks that can run on sludge and be ok
    If youre talking about idling - the valve train on the older push rod engines (mostly gas) suffer from a lack of lube at low RPMs and will tend to wear out much quicker at idle.
    Last edited by revelations; 01-18-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    If youre talking about idling - the valve train on the older push rod engines (mostly gas) suffer from a lack of lube at low RPMs and will tend to wear out much quicker at idle.
    At how many km would you expect them to start wearing out just so I can be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    You could still test it. You probably still have battery warranty. Or whatever.
    yea still warranty, but i didnt buy the battery, it was from previous owner of the car, so warranty is not transferrable..
    i tested with a volt meter..everyting seems to be at range

Quote Originally Posted by rach View Post
    yea still warranty, but i didnt buy the battery, it was from previous owner of the car, so warranty is not transferrable..
    i tested with a volt meter..everyting seems to be at range
    A volt meter reading will tell you nothing about the load capacity of a battery and load capacity testing isn't something most mortals can do at home - a poor battery can still give you half decent voltage readings but that doesn't mean it'll start your vehicle.

My Ride
    V8s

Is my sarcasm detector off? There's no way you can be serious. "i8 is a Prius with butterfly doors"?¿ I might also prefer an M4 but it's not blowing away an i8.
    i8 stock tire sizes are F: 215/45R20 R: 245/40R20
    prius stock tire size (for 17" option) F/R: 215/45R17
    M4 stock tire sizes are F: 255/35R19 R: 275/35R19

One of those things is not like the others.

i8 brakes are ~13" F/R
    M4 brakes are ~15" F/R

i8 lateral G: 0.95
    M4 lateral G: 1.00

The tires alone prove the i8 is not really designed to drive in anger, but just threw in some other specs for reference.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That's the first time I've seen stock tire size used as a method to compare the performance of two vehicles. Bizarre. I mean, I hate all BMW's, so I'm not defending either one, but what the what?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That's the first time I've seen stock tire size used as a method to compare the performance of two vehicles. Bizarre. I mean, I hate all BMW's, so I'm not defending either one, but what the what?
    Typically there's a direct correlation between how much rubber is under the car and how "performance oriented" it is.

Also I'd like to take a sec to congratulate myself on a successful derail here.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 140
Size:  458.1 KB

My Ride
    *The First*

i8 stock tire sizes are F: 215/45R20 R: 245/40R20
    prius stock tire size (for 17" option) F/R: 215/45R17
    M4 stock tire sizes are F: 255/35R19 R: 275/35R19

One of those things is not like the others.

i8 brakes are ~13" F/R
    M4 brakes are ~15" F/R

i8 lateral G: 0.95
    M4 lateral G: 1.00

The tires alone prove the i8 is not really designed to drive in anger, but just threw in some other specs for reference.
    Much larger tires can be fit on and it has regenerative braking, so that should partially explain smaller rotors. The one I'm familiar with is now allegedly a sub-four-second 0-60mph car after nothing more than a diet and tires.

If folks want to talk about it feeling like it's all show and no go, that seems fair if that's their experience actually driving it. It's tougher to accept statements that "it's slow" or "it's a Prius" when it's squeaking by a car (M4) that is widely regarded as "fast". If people want to start saying that an M4 is slow, then we're all good.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    At how many km would you expect them to start wearing out just so I can be prepared.
    Thats beyond me - but I know some police vehicles (older) had these issues with their valvetrain at 100k - but thats way beyond standard use (8 hours idling of a 12 hr shift).

My Ride
    V8s

Much larger tires can be fit on and it has regenerative braking, so that should partially explain smaller rotors. The one I'm familiar with is now allegedly a sub-four-second 0-60mph car after nothing more than a diet and tires.

If folks want to talk about it feeling like it's all show and no go, that seems fair if that's their experience actually driving it. It's tougher to accept statements that "it's slow" or "it's a Prius" when it's squeaking by a car (M4) that is widely regarded as "fast". If people want to start saying that an M4 is slow, then we're all good.
    You are missing the point entirely. The i8 is not a race car, and a straight line accel test is useless in proving otherwise.

Maybe it'll help if I frame this differently.

AC Schnitzer (i.e. modified and faster than stock) i8 lapped nurburgring in 8:19.8
    Stock M4 (back in 2014) lapped nurburgring in 7:52 - this is an eternity faster than the modified i8
    M4 GTS (so still factory, but highest spec) lapped nurburgring in 7:27.9 - this is two eternities faster than the i8
    Civic Type R (another car kinda designed to be a race car) lapped in 7:43.8

To go full circle here, the whole reason we're talking about this is because you made a comment about the i8 supposedly being a race car, and I'm attempting to prove that it is definitely not designed to be a race car (whereas the M4 is more or less... and just for fun the CTR as well), and it's painfully obvious when you look at lap times which are objectively a better measure of performance, or race-car-i-ness, than a drag race.

My Ride
    *The First*

You are missing the point entirely. The i8 is not a race car, and a straight line accel test is useless in proving otherwise.

Maybe it'll help if I frame this differently.

AC Schnitzer (i.e. modified and faster than stock) i8 lapped nurburgring in 8:19.8
    Stock M4 (back in 2014) lapped nurburgring in 7:52 - this is an eternity faster than the modified i8
    M4 GTS (so still factory, but highest spec) lapped nurburgring in 7:27.9 - this is two eternities faster than the i8
    Civic Type R (another car kinda designed to be a race car) lapped in 7:43.8

To go full circle here, the whole reason we're talking about this is because you made a comment about the i8 supposedly being a race car, and I'm attempting to prove that it is definitely not designed to be a race car (whereas the M4 is more or less... and just for fun the CTR as well), and it's painfully obvious when you look at lap times which are objectively a better measure of performance, or race-car-i-ness, than a drag race.
    Oh, ok. Now I see part of our disconnect. I certainly didn't literally mean "racecar". I was alluding to the design of that car having a lot of emphasis on weight saving and although they went to great lengths in many areas, they took a dump in their pants when they still stuck a big heavy 12V battery in it when they should have put a tiny lithium battery in. It would've been the easiest 40-50 pound savings on the car!

Yes, those N'ring times are much much faster. I wonder if its batteries can't live through a full lap on that thing.

Anyway, I'm with you in that it's not a race car. It and the NSX are still pretty fuckin neat machines.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast