Quantcast
ACL / Knee issue - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: ACL / Knee issue

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Final update, last week I went in for ortho and they poked around. They replaced my ACL with my hamstring tendon and looked around and saw that I did nothing else that needed repairing. So feet up at home and hobbling around for the next few weeks.

UCAKIC / Banff Sports Med were fantastic.
    If I elect to get mine repaired, that is exactly what I was told would happen (replaced with hamstring). They told me I can walk that same day (with a knee brace) and to use crutches if needed. Did you get the same instruction or do you need to keep your feet up all the time?

Also how did they freeze you if you don't mind my asking?

Years ago when my brother had his ACL replaced, I think they did things differently because he had one of those Velcro casts on his entire leg up to his crotch and was basically forced to lie down for 6 months.

I'm strongly considering just getting it over with this Winter when I am less active anyway.

Glad you seem to be happy with everything

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If I elect to get mine repaired, that is exactly what I was told would happen (replaced with hamstring). They told me I can walk that same day (with a knee brace) and to use crutches if needed. Did you get the same instruction or do you need to keep your feet up all the time?

Also how did they freeze you if you don't mind my asking?

Years ago when my brother had his ACL replaced, I think they did things differently because he had one of those Velcro casts on his entire leg up to his crotch and was basically forced to lie down for 6 months.

I'm strongly considering just getting it over with this Winter when I am less active anyway.

Glad you seem to be happy with everything
    I'll send you a PM with my number if you have more questions but I'll add to it here.

- I asked about the hamstring. According to my surgeon it is the least disruptive to do hamstring with the least amount of long term issues. She said after she took 8mm for me.
    - I could put 50% or so weight on it for the first week, it was definitely stiff and needed the crutches. They want you to start trying to 'flatten' it (extension), plus doing flexion and ankle pumps.
    - Today (day 6) I've been able to go onto a cane. It is sore though and quite swollen still. I'm on my feet maybe an hour a day at most.
    - I 100% recommend the chrio pack. It has helped a lot.
    - Day 5 I could take off my tensor bandage. Only thing left is stitches and ster-strips. It was very tight and swollen. I got to shower though which was awesome.
    - For me (and YMMV) they gave me two options. 1st is an epidural'ish type freezing. 2nd was a general. General needs intubated and longer in the hospital. I chose epidural. She put me to sleep after the epidural took effect. Woke up in recovery chatting up a storm I guess.

Yeah I work from home right now and my sports are cancelled so it was perfect time for me.
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 06-16-2020 at 09:16 PM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Fuck me that sounds quick and easy.

I have 5 more weeks in this stupid cast for an ankle ligament...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Fuck me that sounds quick and easy.

I have 5 more weeks in this stupid cast for an ankle ligament...
    Yeah I joked with my Surgeon that it is the oil changes of surgeries and she laughed and agreed. There were 4 of us in a room all bullshitting and chatting. I liked Banff for that, all younger sports stuff. One dude was a MB'er, one was on the Alberta Ski Team. Can't remember the other guy, I was drugged up good.

It was my first major surgery. Nothing quite like walking down the hall into the OR. Was intimidating as shit.
    Cos...

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    I'll send you a PM with my number if you have more questions but I'll add to it here.

- I asked about the hamstring. According to my surgeon it is the least disruptive to do hamstring with the least amount of long term issues. She said after she took 8mm for me.
    - I could put 50% or so weight on it for the first week, it was definitely stiff and needed the crutches. They want you to start trying to 'flatten' it (extension), plus doing flexion and ankle pumps.
    - Today (day 6) I've been able to go onto a cane. It is sore though and quite swollen still. I'm on my feet maybe an hour a day at most.
    - I 100% recommend the chrio pack. It has helped a lot.
    - Day 5 I could take off my tensor bandage. Only thing left is stitches and ster-strips. It was very tight and swollen. I got to shower though which was awesome.
    - For me (and YMMV) they gave me two options. 1st is an epidural'ish type freezing. 2nd was a general. General needs intubated and longer in the hospital. I chose epidural. She put me to sleep after the epidural took effect. Woke up in recovery chatting up a storm I guess.

Yeah I work from home right now and my sports are cancelled so it was perfect time for me.
    This is great info, thank you.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This is great info, thank you.
    Haha no worries, only change. I went to the cane too fast. Swollen up like a balloon last night. Back to crutches and more icing.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Update, 6 weeks post, bit sore once and a while, if I walk too much get a bit of a limp. Otherwise doing fine, don't even notice the limp anymore, can go up and down stairs.
    Cos...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3