Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 985 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Silverado

Is China really that gross?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is China really that gross?
    Remember that South Korea still consume 2M dogs every year and it's a developed country. It'll take China another 50 years for old people to die off to kick all these disgusting/superstitious eating habits.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I work with some FOB chinese guys, and they are talking about delaying or cancelling trips home until this is all worked out. They seem pretty worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I work with some FOB chinese guys, and they are talking about delaying or cancelling trips home until this is all worked out. They seem pretty worried.
    After this threat came down from the central gov:

The BBC reports the Chinese political body responsible for law and order said anyone who tried to cover up new confirmed cases would “be nailed on the pillar of shame for eternity,” as the country tries to put the world at ease that it will be transparent in the handling of the outbreak.
    The number jumped immediately to 17 deaths and 500 infected. And so far, not a single one hospitalized has recovered and released.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...-nailed-pillar
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-22-2020 at 10:52 AM.

For some reason I had it in my head that SARS was way more serious - I looked it up and 774 people died, about half of those in China. Obviously that isn't insignificant and even 1 person dying is a tragedy, but for what was basically reported by the news as a worldwide pandemic originating in China with ~1.4B people, that's a drop in the bucket compared to things like the flu which kill hundreds of thousands of people annually. So far this seems similar to the SARS incident.

As for China travel, I used to work for a Chinese owned company and the guys I worked with who were from there told me never to go there. They said they won't even go back for more than a week or so to visit family because things like pollution are so bad. There are some beautiful parts of the country but I have no desire to ever go there personally based on what people keep telling me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I would love to visit as a tourist, there's some things in that country that you can't see anywhere else in the world. However, the downsides are large too. I don't much like cities when I travel, or crowds. LOL.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    For some reason I had it in my head that SARS was way more serious - I looked it up and 774 people died, about half of those in China. Obviously that isn't insignificant and even 1 person dying is a tragedy, but for what was basically reported by the news as a worldwide pandemic originating in China with ~1.4B people, that's a drop in the bucket compared to things like the flu which kill hundreds of thousands of people annually. So far this seems similar to the SARS incident.

As for China travel, I used to work for a Chinese owned company and the guys I worked with who were from there told me never to go there. They said they won't even go back for more than a week or so to visit family because things like pollution are so bad. There are some beautiful parts of the country but I have no desire to ever go there personally based on what people keep telling me.
    Keep in mind SARS lasted a while as things spread so of course the numbers are going to be much higher. This has been what, two weeks so far? And 17 dead so far... that's awfully scary considering it going to keep spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If this blows up I wonder if we're going to be see some good travel deals to Asia. Might take my chances to Japan or SE Asia.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Thats exactly it - its a mass media 'profit pandemic' - with a few dozen deaths in a country of over a BILLION people.

More fear = more clicks.

In AB - we had 30 people die last winter with the flu - thats in a province of ~4.5 MILLION people - where is the mass media panic about this????

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Remember that South Korea still consume 2M dogs every year and it's a developed country. It'll take China another 50 years for old people to die off to kick all these disgusting/superstitious eating habits.
    Yes and every one of those dogs were delicious!
    Last edited by suntan; 01-22-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Thats exactly it - its a mass media 'profit pandemic' - with a few dozen deaths in a country of over a BILLION people.

More fear = more clicks.

In AB - we had 30 people die last winter with the flu - thats in a province of ~4.5 MILLION people - where is the mass media panic about this????
    Yeah I don't really get it to be honest. The flu is way worse and some people don't even bother to get vaccinated. Seems like click bait, at least at this stage.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post

More fear = more clicks.

That took a whole year - currently some stating 17 deaths 700+ infected since its first case appeared merely 6 weeks ago...

And Manila is now hunting for the family of one of the HK cases who traveled yesterday.

Yeah I don't really get it to be honest. The flu is way worse and some people don't even bother to get vaccinated. Seems like click bait, at least at this stage.
    This year's flu shot was targeted mostly for the wrong strain, so there's that...(according to some, others say it's "up to" 72% effective for the "dominant" strain).

China just quarantined Wuhan today.

IMO the difference between these viruses is their lethality, compared to the regular flu. Yes, 40 people died from the "regular flu", but how many millions caught the flu in that sample size? We're talking up to 10% lethality/fatality with these Chinese origin viruses, which would = 100,000 of people dead in Alberta in a direct ratio comparisson, had all those people caught the coronovirus/whatever instead of the regular flu.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 01-22-2020 at 01:23 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Relax guys, Chairman Xi says it's under control, and Trump is vouching for him. So it must be true.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

When there are hundreds of healthy people dying daily - like with serious, actual pandemics - let me know.

For now, like with other past viral episodes, this is mostly being controlled and contained. The mass media will milk this for all its worth.

you can have whatever virus you like, as long as it's a corona

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    This year's flu shot was targeted mostly for the wrong strain, so there's that...(according to some, others say it's "up to" 72% effective for the "dominant" strain).
    Yeah they don't always nail it, though there is evidence to suggest that any flu shot is better than none even if they don't get the exact strain(s) right.

Interesting article from yesterday:

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-ivo012120.php

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

My daughter and I got the flu shot in early November. My wife didn't. She was sick as a dog for a week in December. I cant 100% confirm if it was the flu or not, but the fact neither of us got her bug just made me glad we got the shot.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

fake news, big pharma, paltrow candles . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    My daughter and I got the flu shot in early November. My wife didn't. She was sick as a dog for a week in December. I cant 100% confirm if it was the flu or not, but the fact neither of us got her bug just made me glad we got the shot.
    Similar story - can't confirm anything, but every one of my coworkers who never gets the shot got crazy sick for 2+ weeks and missed a bunch of work (some are still sick) and I am fine as per usual. I am now over 2 years without getting a cold/flu (knock on wood).

Usually the most obvious difference between a cold and the flu is a fever.

GF is a nurse and Emergency room wait times were over 10 hours on multiple days, largely due to people coming in with flu symptoms, didn't get the shot, and they wait 10 hours to be told to go home and get some rest lol.

Page 2 of 985 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast