Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 392 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 392 of 985 FirstFirst ... 382 391 392 393 402 ... LastLast
Results 7,821 to 7,840 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Exploded.

Trudeau is a traitor for different reasons.

But no harm wearing a mask so whatever.

Also, beer run with @max_boost ?! Maybe when @ExtraSlow is back

My Ride
    Axis powers

Apparently there's a new announcement for back to school tomorrow at 9am, let's see if the UCP government gets their head out of their ass
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently there's a new announcement for back to school tomorrow at 9am, let's see if the UCP government gets their head out of their ass
    What would you like to see changed?

My Ride
    Axis powers

personally the hybrid approach to return to school, investment into safety, smaller classes, and more support for parents keeping their kids home other than, 'it will be hard and they won't have the same support as in person learning' such a cop-out

I've already decided to enroll my daughter in the CBE HUB program so whatever happens to in school doesn't impact me, or hopefully doesn't, however I hope that by my daughter not physically being there, it helps to make for a smaller, safer, and more manageable classroom
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    ute

COVID has exposed how antiquated and inefficient our public education system actually is. I would be quite worried if I was planning a career in public education at the moment.

If we figure out how to do all of this stuff without in-school, teacher driven methods, then parents and society are going to wonder why we do it. Teachers do not realize that despite all of the fumbling, the excellent solutions too this problem don't involve them. It's a be careful what you wish for - necessity is the mother of invention - and a re-invention of education would lead to a lot of disruption for the bureaucracy that currently delivers it.

My Ride
    Silverado

My whole approach is that kids in grade 8 and higher continue distance learning giving the younger kids more space to learn. Digital class sizes increase to free up teachers for younger kids smaller classes.

My Ride
    ute

The answer is Michael Mina's idea that we use cheap, fast, antigen test strips to test every student every day before school. I bet this starts to happen before the summer is done in a number of jurisdictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    COVID has exposed how antiquated and inefficient our public education system actually is. I would be quite worried if I was planning a career in public education at the moment.

If we figure out how to do all of this stuff without in-school, teacher driven methods, then parents and society are going to wonder why we do it. Teachers do not realize that despite all of the fumbling, the excellent solutions too this problem don't involve them. It's a be careful what you wish for - necessity is the mother of invention - and a re-invention of education would lead to a lot of disruption for the bureaucracy that currently delivers it.
    The lack of a childcare program is all the armor teachers need for now. The biggest catalyst to significant change would be to deal with that and other things could fall into place. The NDP won't go after teachers, and the UCP won't deal with childcare so there isn't much of a push from either side.

To top it off in preserving the status quo, private schools business models are based off the current setup so they aren't lobbying for anything, and the religious folk are pushing the voucher system that requires as much public money involved in education as possible, so there isn't any private push for change either. Those are the people currently running education in the province, so don't expect much there.

Copying Quebec's childcare program is easy, driving out the bible-thumping voucher-pushers from the Ministry of Education would be much more difficult. Both are needed for significant change to public education.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    It’s a difficult thing, how many people are needlessly going to die from this?? It’s not looking like many, but you don’t know. So play it safe seems like the best solution.

So I go to my gym I mask from the door to the locker room, 50’ max. Then while I workout no mask, touching sweaty things, hopefully that are cleaned, And it seems most are. Then I mask and leave. Is any logical person going to say that mask is going to fix anything in that situation. Restaurants are very similar In that respect. I don’t see the point.
    A valid point, masking for 30 seconds to enter and exit a building, but spending an hour in that same location breathing in recirculated air seems silly.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

People advocating for smaller class sizes realize that we'd need more buildings and teachers to do that, right? Not something that's going to get solved in ~3 weeks.

Its a nice goal, but not a short term solution to covid risks.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    People advocating for smaller class sizes realize that we'd need more buildings and teachers to do that, right? Not something that's going to get solved in ~3 weeks.

Wrong. China built hospitals quick. Hire China. Solved.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Wrong. China built hospitals quick. Hire China. Solved.
    Okay, THAT could work.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    The lack of a childcare program is all the armor teachers need for now. The biggest catalyst to significant change would be to deal with that and other things could fall into place. The NDP won't go after teachers, and the UCP won't deal with childcare so there isn't much of a push from either side.

To top it off in preserving the status quo, private schools business models are based off the current setup so they aren't lobbying for anything, and the religious folk are pushing the voucher system that requires as much public money involved in education as possible, so there isn't any private push for change either. Those are the people currently running education in the province, so don't expect much there.

Copying Quebec's childcare program is easy, driving out the bible-thumping voucher-pushers from the Ministry of Education would be much more difficult. Both are needed for significant change to public education.
    All excellent points.. my suggestion was more philosophical and general than specific.

If I had the resources of China, I'd rather build a private island - and have it run on 200 made in China solar panels. Dare to live the dream, why fight Covid when you can outrun it?
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-04-2020 at 07:15 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

After reading CBE guidelines my wife and I have decided that we should drive our kids both directions to school instead of having them sit on a bus with an additional 48 kids. But like most of you I dont really understand the whole aircon / air recirculation unless they are planning on turning that off for now - which is a bandaid in the short term. Theres a contradicting statement in their guideline that says they recommend that all kids wear masks both to school and in school, and then the next line says you dont have to unless you are sick.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Kids "should" wear a mask, but they can't force them to during the day. That's what that means. Also means kids will not wear masks during the day.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    After reading CBE guidelines my wife and I have decided that we should drive our kids both directions to school instead of having them sit on a bus with an additional 48 kids. But like most of you I dont really understand the whole aircon / air recirculation unless they are planning on turning that off for now - which is a bandaid in the short term. Theres a contradicting statement in their guideline that says they recommend that all kids wear masks both to school and in school, and then the next line says you dont have to unless you are sick.
    We're likely going to drive them, as well. Pain in the urethra.
    Thanks, China. I hope everyone in the Chinese govt gets bone cancer.

And on another frequency altogether.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/...?ocid=msedgntp

Amazon not able to keep up with tiny house demand. I can imagine with the vastness of the USA, people are just going to try and find a secluded spot setup one of these, put eight solar panels on it - and ride out the apocalypse.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-streets.html

Berlin now protesting Covid restrictions. Germany is at a death percentage rate that is far healthier than the USA, arguably almost at normal "bad flu season" type rates. One could attribute it to their push for living a health lifestyle in general, but it does seem like the restrictions are pretty harsh if its "just another flu".

The problem stems from the completely asymptomatic people. I mean, do you stop producing and shipping peanut butter because X percentage of the population is deathly allergic to peanut? Is there a better way?

As for blaming any nation: I'm sure that people who are deadly allergic to peanuts curse the place where peanuts originated, and others whole reason for living is to eat peanut butter cups. God created the peanut, as well as cannabis (greatest medicine ever) and how we work around it is up to us.

Mmm peanut butter cup.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-04-2020 at 09:14 AM.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

It hasn’t been 3 weeks, it has been months and months
    Anyways they even said it in the meeting today that scenario 2 would have resulted in smaller class sizes
    Sig nuked by mod.

Page 392 of 985 FirstFirst ... 382 391 392 393 402 ... LastLast