Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 395 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 395 of 985 FirstFirst ... 385 394 395 396 405 ... LastLast
Results 7,881 to 7,900 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

This article explains the phenomenon quite well:
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ght-crusaders/

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly, if I didn't have kids, I'd find humanity's descent rather amusing and well deserved.
    'The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.'

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    I saw a youtube vid where anyone who can bench/squat/dead 2 plates for reps is immune.
    squat/dead yes but not bench lol i got the vitamins, just need the hcq
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Interesting take on lock downs - Someone else posted this channel a while back, seems semi-informative at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp0hiFVm1U8

"1) Covid-19 is so infectious (R0 of 5+) that it will pretty much make its way through a population regardless of the efforts to avoid it

2) But, it only severely affects a small percentage of those who get it

3) And, more interesting, it's appearing that herd immunity happens quickly, at around 15%

This leads to the conclusion that lockdowns may not be worth it. While they may slow the rate of infection spread somewhat, the economic damage they do can dwarf the benefits of that delay."

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Those first two points have been known for months. I can't believe this has to be said again, this far in. Lockdown is to keep the hospitals from being overloaded by that "small percentage", not to stop it in its tracks.

Also herd immunity only works if the virus doesn't mutate. Which it had at least once already.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post

Also herd immunity only works if the virus doesn't mutate. Which it had at least once already.
    I have brought this up before, but I still don't think any conclusion was reached, so since the anti-vaxxer subject has been coming up again, would this fact not also mean that a vaccination would be next to useless as well since the virus is mutating? I mean if you can just catch it again, will this not mean it won't be anything other than any other flu that just never actually goes away? It just goes up and down seasonally in infection rates like normal, no?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I have brought this up before, but I still don't think any conclusion was reached, so since the anti-vaxxer subject has been coming up again, would this fact not also mean that a vaccination would be next to useless as well since the virus is mutating? I mean if you can just catch it again, will this not mean it won't be anything other than any other flu that just never actually goes away? It just goes up and down seasonally in infection rates like normal, no?
    Yep. Exactly what it means. Health authorities will eventually be guessing what strain is likely in the area, and giving that vaccination, just like the normal flu.

However once the vaccine for this one is approved, it will be easier to find and approve the next one, etc.

My Ride
    ute

There isn't good reason to believe the virus will behave like the flu

Is there a good reason to believe it won't? I don't mean that to sound pissy or anything, but really, what flu doesn't behave like the flu?

My Ride
    ute

Is there a good reason to believe it won't? I don't mean that to sound pissy or anything, but really, what flu doesn't behave like the flu?
    Influenza is generally an exception, not the rule.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Been wondering about this, but aside from sharing some of the base symptoms, is a Coronavirus actually similar to Influenza in any way?

I know we keep calling it a “flu”, but does that classification have much basis in medical fact? Sure an influenza and Coronavirus are both viral infections, but is that where the similarities end?

Anyone have some virology background on this?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Been wondering about this, but aside from sharing some of the base symptoms, is a Coronavirus actually similar to Influenza in any way?

I know we keep calling it a “flu”, but does that classification have much basis in medical fact? Sure an influenza and Coronavirus are both viral infections, but is that where the similarities end?

They are entirely different. The “flu” is actually short for influenza, a negative sense RNA virus with no genetic proofreading capability. This introduces a greater mathematical possibility for a transcription error during replication which leads to a higher rate of mutation. It’s genetic material is a mirror image of what the actual RNA strand needs to be to produce the active protein. So it first has to decode itself in reverse, which is prone to errors, then produce the new viral proteins, then make copies of itself, but in reverse, another step prone to error, before finally repackaging itself into virions.

Coronaviruses are positive sense single strand RNA viruses that has about twice as much genetic material as Influenza. They have some proofreading capability and the positive sense strand reduces its rate of mutation. The RNA in coronavirus directly codes for a protein without having to decode itself.

The way they enter the host is also different. Influenza has entirely different proteins on its surface than SARS-CoV2. I would say that other than being viruses, they are not at all alike.

As an analogy, they are probably more different genetically than a human and an insect.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Cool, thanks for that, I feel like that’s an important distinction that more people should be informed about (aka we should stop comparing the disease to something nearly irrelevant).

That’s probably the most interesting thing about COVID I have heard in months.
    Last edited by killramos; 08-04-2020 at 08:14 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I am going to go out on a limb and say that xrayvsn may be smarter than an E.I.T.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that xrayvsn may be smarter than an E.I.T.
    That’s not a high bar, he’s clearly at least as smart as a room full of EIT’s
    Last edited by killramos; 08-04-2020 at 08:18 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I'm no virologist, but the common cold is based on 2 different viruses, one being a coronavirus, so I would think it would behave similarly and mutate.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fucking EIT's know more at that stage of life than any that follow.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

They're both RNA viruses and that's about it.

influenza is a respiratory virus. sars-cov2 is a virus that seems to target the epithelial cells which sometimes results in respiratory symptoms.

The current expectation is that the vaccine will be effective vis-a-vis stability, but unknown the duration or degree of protection at this point. I think we will need a 30-60 booster.

Edit: xrayvsn has a more comprehensive answer!

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    I'm no virologist, but the common cold is based on 2 different viruses, one being a coronavirus, so I would think it would behave similarly and mutate.
    Looks like you are no EIT either.

Edit: It just dawned on me that Buster may be a pharmacological pusher.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 08-04-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xrayvsn View Post
    They are entirely different. The “flu” is actually short for influenza, a negative sense RNA virus with no genetic proofreading capability. This introduces a greater mathematical possibility for a transcription error during replication which leads to a higher rate of mutation. It’s genetic material is a mirror image of what the actual RNA strand needs to be to produce the active protein. So it first has to decode itself in reverse, which is prone to errors, then produce the new viral proteins, then make copies of itself, but in reverse, another step prone to error, before finally repackaging itself into virions.

Coronaviruses are positive sense single strand RNA viruses that has about twice as much genetic material as Influenza. They have some proofreading capability and the positive sense strand reduces its rate of mutation. The RNA in coronavirus directly codes for a protein without having to decode itself.

The way they enter the host is also different. Influenza has entirely different proteins on its surface than SARS-CoV2. I would say that other than being viruses, they are not at all alike.

As an analogy, they are probably more different genetically than a human and an insect.
    Interesting... I spent the last hour looking up differences and saw a lot of what you are talking about. I need to spend more time mining into this!

My Ride

I thought this was a decent article today.

Scientists Uncover Biological Signatures of the Worst Covid-19 Cases https://nyti.ms/3frWSHS

Page 395 of 985 FirstFirst ... 385 394 395 396 405 ... LastLast