Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 413 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 413 of 985 FirstFirst ... 403 412 413 414 423 ... LastLast
Results 8,241 to 8,260 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone with dual citizenship or immediate family members in Canada can cross the border still. Anyone on a work visa can also. Canadians can also go down into the US because the US doesn't give a F and then obviously they can get home because they are Canadian.
    I'm wondering if it's "safe" to fly to the USA to meet my colleagues? Answers are mixed and nobody seems to have a definite "yes or no".

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    I'm wondering if it's "safe" to fly to the USA to meet my colleagues? Answers are mixed and nobody seems to have a definite "yes or no".
    Can you get down there? Yes. Is it safe? Probably not.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If someone could define what the word "safe" means, then that's a good start. my social circle cannot even agree on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If someone could define what the word "safe" means, then that's a good start. my social circle cannot even agree on that.
    Here's my take: I already have a back herniation and chronic pain. I don't need to expand on that by adding lung issues and whatever else to the list. I'm willing to take reasonable risks but I'm not interested in walking into a shit show. Safe = whatever is not said shit show.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Safe depends on your definition and risk tolerance. If you want some fun math though... (Firstly, this is all just numbers because its a slow day and why not. Don't take this seriously)

Let's say you fly to Florida, Florida has averaged 5k cases per day roughly so that's around 60k active cases they know about (avg 2 weeks of being active seems to be the accepted standard). With a >10% positivite test rate and much of the US scared to use medical services, its doubtful they are catching all their cases. So lets say real active cases is ~4x higher. (No source, number picked out of thin air for the sake of maths but I think thats reasonable).

So 240k active cases out of 20 million people is 1.2% of their population currently has covid, give or take.

Flying into Miami you'll probably be on a Airbus A320 which holds 150 passengers (Depends on configuration but thats United's setup). Let's say half the people are from Miami and half are visiting Miami. So 75 Florida residents with a average infection rate of 1.2% (Miami is actually higher since the outbreak is more focused there).

100%-1.2% = 98.8% chance each person is not infected. Then 98.8%^75 people = 0.404 = 40% chance that all those people are collectively corona-free. Leaving 60% chance at least one has covid.

So basically you have a 60% chance that there's a positive covid person on your flight ... assuming half the people are florida natives. It could be higher if you factor in the other passengers, or lower as maybe its mostly people from other areas. But either way ... small enclosed space with over a hundred people increases chances significantly.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

The definition of "safe" is all about risk vs reward so you'll never have a group of people agree on it. Everyone is different. If you have underlying medical conditions that would compromise you should you get covid, then the risk is high and the expected reward would need to be very high IMO.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Coming back is the problem. You have to quarantine for 2 weeks which is a PITA.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    So what is it? Is the land border closed but not the airport?
    Air border is not closed to citizens or foreigners.

Land border is not closed to citizens or US citizens claiming to go to Alaska.

But 2 weeks quarantine applies for everyone on return unless your job is deemed essential.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-02-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    this

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    yup, when we heard Hawaii was opening for Canadians, we were excited that we could still go in October but then thinking about it, we will have to quarantine for 2 weeks after a week of vacation. and we like to go out for a walk/bike ride every day after work

why cant they just have yourself tested once you're back.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post

Possible contact on the airplane, or contamination of your belongings. IE some bag chucker sneezes on your luggage.

My Ride
    ute

yup, when we heard Hawaii was opening for Canadians, we were excited that we could still go in October but then thinking about it, we will have to quarantine for 2 weeks after a week of vacation. and we like to go out for a walk/bike ride every day after work

You may have been exposed but not yet RNA positive. That's the problem with this virus - the 3-4 days before you know you are sick. A negative test result in the world of covid is of limited utility. In truth, 14 days is almost certainly much longer than is needed to quarantine if you are asymptomatic, but they want to play it safe.

My Ride
    Bicycle

At best that reduces quarantine from 2 to 1 week. If you get infected on the flight back, there is a chance you'll be tested negative for the 1st 3-5 days.

And here's the other fun part if you are infected and hospitalize on the way out.... make sure you have adequate insurance coverage because:

Your Certificate of Insurance has specific exclusions related to emergency Travel Medical Insurance if you are travelling to a country or region that Canadians have been instructed to avoid all non-essential travel to. That means that while this non-essential travel advisory remains in place, you will not be covered for any claim if you contract the Coronavirus.
    https://www.tdinsurance.com/products...e/covid19-faqs

And right now:

Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice
    https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-02-2020 at 10:40 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

1 week of quarantine then possibility of getting yourself checked sounds more acceptable to me than 2 weeks of quarantine.
    at least another excuse for WFH haha.

either way too much hassle, might as well enjoy travelling around Canada for now but winter will suck for alot of people

My Ride
    Bicycle

either way too much hassle, might as well enjoy travelling around Canada for now but winter will suck for alot of people
    Not looking forward to it not able to spend 2 weeks somewhere warm for a winter break. I'm already depressed looking at outside today with 70km/h wind and single digit temp.

China Bus study shows this virus is very transmissible through micro droplets. Wondering what downtown buildings are doing for HVAC come winter.

My Ride
    Bicycle

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertg.../#b4d83486cef8

The study looked at 100 patients (median age of just 49) who recently recovered from Covid-19, most of whom were asymptomatic or had just mild symptoms. The researchers, who performed MRI scan of their hearts an average of 2 months after they first were diagnosed with Covid-19, uncovered some concerning findings: 78% of patients had ongoing heart abnormalities and 60 percent had myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle. Even more concerning was that the extent of myocarditis was not related to the severity of the initial illness or overall course of the illness.
    And MedCram quick infographic show importance of quick 15min test:
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-02-2020 at 11:55 AM.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    China Bus study shows this virus is very transmissible through micro droplets. Wondering what downtown buildings are doing for HVAC come winter.
    https://www.wired.com/story/could-a-...ight-covid-19/

If I was a teacher, I would be making one or two of these for my own classroom.

Buildings should be looking at these sorts of recommendations:

https://blog.se.com/healthcare/2020/...tious-disease/
    Last edited by duaner; 09-02-2020 at 12:09 PM.

My Ride

It's my understanding that a lot of things can cause myocardial problems. If the 100 people they did on MRI on, how many had one before they got covid?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    It's my understanding that a lot of things can cause myocardial problems. If the 100 people they did on MRI on, how many had one before they got covid?
    We don't have answers to these questions. The studies to determine this are just underway.

Having said that, every day that passes it becomes more clear: you DO NOT want to get Covid.

Page 413 of 985 FirstFirst ... 403 412 413 414 423 ... LastLast