Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 638 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 638 of 985 FirstFirst ... 628 637 638 639 648 ... LastLast
Results 12,741 to 12,760 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife is scheduling her shot as a frontline worker. My kid and I have to wait - which I'm perfectly cool with.

Her coworker already had hers. She told my wife that the lady immunizing her didn't yet have the shot herself. Figure that logic out. If I'm doing that job and going to be in that close contact with most the population of Calgary, I'm gonna want that shot. Must be weird to be holding and administering the very thing that could protect you, but you can't have it yet.

Its gonna be a long year.
    Wanna know what’s stranger? ICU and Emergency healthcare workers are getting it before the healthcare workers on the covid wards.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I feel bad for my paramedic buddy who isn’t anywhere on the list either, he has a snotty end of the stick because he goes into calls with no clue about COVID infection and very limited ability to take precautions. He’s also transported several COVID positive patients without AHS even telling him, kind of fucked up.

But end of the day I’m not pretending to pick and choose who gets it, I suppose if I was I’d give myself a shot first
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Well considering it takes a couple months for the vaccine to reach full effectiveness (after a second dose) this doesn’t really seem like a solvable problem right now.

I feel like a vaccine administration center is an easy place to ensure as many precautions are taken as possible to prevent transmission. What’s important is vaccinating people who work in situations where those precautions can’t practically be taken ( continuing care staff etc.) or where chance of infection is far greater ( actively treating confirmed cases ).

End of the day we are massively short vaccines for the foreseeable future so we just need to make the best decisions we can as quickly as we can and don’t cripple rollout overthinking it.
    Yep. There are lots of important people who need it and are getting it and overthinking it is wrong.
    But realize that there are workers who are 2 and 3 levels above direct patient care getting vaccinated and it's at the expense of other workers who are directly giving patient care, as well as those who are poking their coworkers with the vaccine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Wanna know what’s stranger? ICU and Emergency healthcare workers are getting it before the healthcare workers on the covid wards.
    This, I'm ok with... They are so bubble wrapped in PPE and their procedures are so rigid that I think it's ok to not have them at the very front of the line.
    "Ok" is the wrong word... "Tolerable based on the circumstances" is more what I mean.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    But realize that AHS is horrifically mismanaged, and governments are not good at distributing scarce resources.
    FTFY brother.

In the end, I expected the roll-out to be mismanaged, but I hope that at the very least, the dosages that arrive in the province get used in a timely fashion on someone. The end goal of a big percentage of the population having access to the vaccine will probably be achieved, despite these issues.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

The other thing I don't like about this... (LoL how do you say that without it coming off as AND ANOTHER THING!!!)

It's a bad thing if the person (or several of them) giving the vaccination actively has the virus and spreads it to those deemed most important in the first round. The cascade effect of that would be catastrophic.
    Thats the point of PPE and proper protocols though.

With the vaccination nurses you have a list of who they were exposed to via appointments, and generally appointments are all <5 minutes so limited time exposure, you have masks on both sides by people that wear masks for a living, and they wear gloves and follow procedures for cleaning / swapping out gloves between patients. If a nurse develops symptoms then the person giving out the vaccines would have to isolate but this is the same as if the person giving out the vaccines was also vaccinated. We still don't have data if they can be a carrier at this time.

Compare that to nurses working with general public patients, who lie about symptoms, incorrectly use masks, argue against this all being a stupid hoax, are sick or maybe coughing with something else, and who knows what kind of life they live.

They both have higher exposure but I still view the ones interacting with the general public has the higher risk because patients lie and could be active carriers and lie about symptoms whereas nurses are likely more diligent about notifying if they have symptoms since they get paid time off anyways.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Thats the point of PPE and proper protocols though.

With the vaccination nurses you have a list of who they were exposed to via appointments, and generally appointments are all <5 minutes so limited time exposure, you have masks on both sides by people that wear masks for a living, and they wear gloves and follow procedures for cleaning / swapping out gloves between patients. If a nurse develops symptoms then the person giving out the vaccines would have to isolate but this is the same as if the person giving out the vaccines was also vaccinated. We still don't have data if they can be a carrier at this time.

Compare that to nurses working with general public patients, who lie about symptoms, incorrectly use masks, argue against this all being a stupid hoax, are sick or maybe coughing with something else, and who knows what kind of life they live.

They both have higher exposure but I still view the ones interacting with the general public has the higher risk because patients lie and could be active carriers and lie about symptoms whereas nurses are likely more diligent about notifying if they have symptoms since they get paid time off anyways.
    All good points. Particularly the <5min exposure. I like this.
    But their PPE is nowhere near the level of those working at the CoVid testing centers, and those are also very limited exposures... More playing Devil's Advocate with that point.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    That makes sense though, as it's the ICU staff that are most crucial. It's those departments that we are protecting with all the shutdowns.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think I should get vaccinated first because of the people not wearing masks in +15s where I get my lunch.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Edge

I brought this up Wednesday, but it got buried in some other drama. I don't understand it.
    The workers poking us with needles are being exposed to hundreds and hundreds of people who may be carrying the virus. Their job is to touch and talk to hundreds of non-immunized people.
    Not only are those nurses not vaccinated, there is no timeline identified to get them vaccinated.
    @pho exs commented on my post, but I think we were miscommunicating.
    They likely have isolation protocols in place. So, if a frontline worker is presenting symptoms or is a confirmed case, they would have to wait until they're over it, since they can't work anyway. While there is always some risk to the nurses giving the shots, it should be relatively minimal risk as compared with those who are actually working with COVID+ patients. They would also be following proper PPE and sanitizing protocols as they are giving shots, so their chance of contracting it while giving shots is most likely less than just being out in public.

Based on this tracker, it looks like they have caught up and back on a good trajectory in the new year. Yesterday they vaccinated 38,310 across Canada (0.1% of population) and sitting at 45% of supply used. At this rate they will catch up to supply pretty quick.

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

My Ride
    Silverado

No love for vaccinating the people working at the testing facility? They literally come in contact with people who have sars-cov 2 every day.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    No love for vaccinating the people working at the testing facility? They literally come in contact with people who have sars-cov 2 every day.
    No love for putting much effort into splitting health care workers into different buckets. I literally don't care who gets it first as long as it's getting used somewhere.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I guess the argument being that if the testing center has all their employees get sick, it doesn’t really affect treatment capacity like if all the ICU and car home staff get sick.

We like having data but ultimately testing people is entirely optional.

fact.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Based on this tracker, it looks like they have caught up and back on a good trajectory in the new year. Yesterday they vaccinated 38,310 across Canada (0.1% of population) and sitting at 45% of supply used. At this rate they will catch up to supply pretty quick.

I still think they are holding 2nd dose in storage in case of supply issues. Hence I doubt you will ever see we using more than 50% delivered.

They are already pondering mixing vaccines as UK approved it.
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...sure-1.5252873
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-08-2021 at 11:16 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think if you have reasonable line of sight to a delivery it makes sense to go a fair bit above 50%.

fact.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    If schools don't open my wife will kill me and I don't mean this jokingly. She will end me.
    There’s no end in sight is there

Caught between a rock and hard place.

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    I read that because influencers travel for work, they're exempted

#blessed #fittea #boutinela
    Guess they're superspreaders in more ways than one.
    #onlyfans

I think I should get vaccinated first because of the people not wearing masks in +15s where I get my lunch.
    I have a right to breathe oxygen!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post

Well below where it needs to be. If the country wants to hit 6 million by the end of March, the numbers need to nearly double
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Well below where it needs to be. If the country wants to hit 6 million by the end of March, the numbers need to nearly double
    Good point. I didn't do the math until now but looks like they need to be at around 71,000 shots per day to hit 6M people in 81 day. The 2nd dose also complicates that so at some point they need to be at 140,000 per day. Pretty massive undertaking to ramp up to that but hopefully they figure it out.

Page 638 of 985 FirstFirst ... 628 637 638 639 648 ... LastLast