Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 188 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 188 of 985 FirstFirst ... 178 187 188 189 198 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,760 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because I can’t read

WHO CARES ABOUT COVID, THE FLU KILLS MORE PEOPLE.
    lol.

The thing is, the only reason we haven't seen more deaths is because of both the measures being taken, as well as the fact this is nowhere near finished. The fatality rate of this is far higher than the flu - 10x at minimum.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I really don’t like where you’re going with that though. You don’t get to decide to sacrifice my friends and family just because you’re out of work. That’s fucked up.
    I guess if you are reading him through a lens of fear, you could likely manage to pull that out of what he said but that doesn't mean you're correct. Bob doesn't want to sell tires over your dead grandma's still warm corpse.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/5080571002/

So, eight strains? Does not bode well for mutations in the future. But I can imagine that if you live through the first one, any mutation will have a much tougher time being lethal to any survivor.
    The article linked keeps mentioning base pairs, but that’s not quite accurate. SARS-CoV 2 is a single strand positive RNA virus, so shouldn’t they call it nucleotide?

Anyway you can dig into the data mentioned in that article more on https://nextstrain.org/ncov

They have weekly updates on their data and phylogenetic tree.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

“During the 2018-19 flu season, about 35 million people in the US contracted the flu and about 34,000 died, according to the CDC.”

We are like 2 months in and already at about 38,000 deaths worldwide, even with the lockdowns and distancing, which we didn’t do with the flu obviously..

So the “flu kills more people” nutters can finally shut up with that line.
    Just show them this graph:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut...ekly_seasonal/

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

The difference with war is the people who go off to die are volunteers. With a deadly virus, the people you plan to sacrifice to maintain your way of life get no say in the matter.

I really don’t like where you’re going with that though. You don’t get to decide to sacrifice my friends and family just because you’re out of work. That’s fucked up.
    I could not agree with you more. I am frankly disappointed in some people. We open up the economy right now, more people die. When enough people die, we shut down the economy again. Anyone who believes that this is overblown should go volunteer at the hospital because they are obviously immune to this disease.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I guess if you are reading him through a lens of fear, you could likely manage to pull that out of what he said but that doesn't mean you're correct. Bob doesn't want to sell tires over your dead grandma's still warm corpse.
    No, just a cold corpse because it's clear that his business is more important than an anonymous grandma's life, whom he has never met.

Step back and think about this for a moment. How is it probable that so many intelligent doctors, scientists, nurses, and leaders around the world, with access to much more information, can decide that it is appropriate to partially shut down economies to save lives? Do people believe that they are *that much* smarter? That's delusional. If you are that much more intelligent, please feel free to save the world. We are all waiting.

When was the last time we have seen doctors around the world plead, with such passion, to have people stay home? To consider this an overblown topic is wildly ignorant with toxic egocentricity.

But feel free to carry on with whatever the fuck you want to do. What do I know? I'm just a janitor.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 03-30-2020 at 08:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post

Step back and think about this for a moment. How is it probable that so many intelligent doctors, scientists, nurses, and leaders around the world, with access to much more information, can decide that it is appropriate to partially shut down economies to save lives? Do people believe that they are *that much* smarter? That's delusional.
    Switch this quote to be about the environment, and watch half this forum lose their shit in disagreement.

Also, it's not about his one business. It's about the world's economy. Wait until we're in year 5 of a great depression, and grandma has passed on from non-covid reasons, and ask yourself if it was worth it.

While he doesn't speak for everyone, my own grandpa says he would rather die now, then in 3 years, knowing his descendants will be living through another depression. It was hard enough for him to watch all my cousin's be out of work for years in Ontario.

But feel free to carry on with whatever the fuck you want to do. What do I know? I'm just a janitor.
    That's custodian, dick.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 03-30-2020 at 08:33 PM.

I could not agree with you more. I am frankly disappointed in some people. We open up the economy right now, more people die. When enough people die, we shut down the economy again. Anyone who believes that this is overblown should go volunteer at the hospital because they are obviously immune to this disease.

- - - Updated - - -

No, just a cold corpse because it's clear that his business is more important than an anonymous grandma's life, whom he has never met.
    Actually no... You really don’t know me at all but you definitely think you do. I would personally throw away pretty much everything I have for most people, even a stranger, in a life and death situation, and even for less in the right situation, but that doesn’t mean I would ask the entire world to throw their lives doing that same thing. I think that is where you are getting confused. Just because I am able to separate my emotion from my observations when thinking of the masses you assume I would personally throw someone away but if the shoe was on the other foot where I was on deaths door and millions of people had to ruin their lives and the lives of their children to keep me alive I would tell them to carry on and let me go.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Switch this quote to be about the environment, and watch half this forum lose their shit in disagreement.

Also, it's not about his one business. It's about the world's economy. Wait until we're in year 5 of a great depression, and grandma has passed on from non-covid reasons, and ask yourself if it was worth it.

While he doesn't speak for everyone, my own grandpa says he would rather die now, then in 3 years, knowing his descendants will be living through another depression. It was hard enough for him to watch all my cousin's be out of work for years in Ontario.
    Do you seriously think that things will not be worse if there were no restrictions? When more people die, healthcare systems are overwhelmed, and people are paranoid about going to work, that the economy would not be worse?

The economy's bad, but it's getting unprecedented support from central banks and government. That is why we have not seen a full collapse yet. That would not happen if the situation was not so dire.

Wrap your head around how much worse off *everyone* will be if there were no restrictions. There would be no economy left.

That's custodian, dick.
    I can call myself whatever I want, a-hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Actually no... You really don’t know me at all but you definitely think you do. I would personally throw away pretty much everything I have for most people, even a stranger, in a life and death situation, and even for less in the right situation, but that doesn’t mean I would ask the entire world to throw their lives doing that same thing. I think that is where you are getting confused. Just because I am able to separate my emotion from my observations when thinking of the masses you assume I would personally throw someone away but if the shoe was on the other foot where I was on deaths door and millions of people had to ruin their lives and the lives of their children to keep me alive I would tell them to carry on and let me go.
    I actually do know you, have purchased from you several times, and have recommended over 100 people to you over the past decade. We have had several conversations. You don't know me though. Advocating that we reopen the economy at this point in time is clearly idiotic.

If you want to play the hero, and do some good, go volunteer at the front lines, find a cure, a treatment, or whatever and help us end this lock down quicker.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 03-30-2020 at 08:49 PM.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

If April ends up being in full lockdown mode again then I can see patience running thin and opinions change. You can only be told to stay home and distance for so long. These half-assed measures we are doing now won’t get us anywhere, we either shut down everything or let nature take its course. If hospitals are overwhelmed then I guess you are SOL at home.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    If April ends up being in full lockdown mode again then I can see patience running thin and opinions change. You can only be told to stay home and distance for so long. These half-assed measures we are doing now won’t get us anywhere, we either shut down everything or let nature take its course. If hospitals are overwhelmed then I guess you are SOL at home.
    I agree, however I wouldn't call these measures half-assed. We have an issue where the federal government controls the borders and is not shutting it down. Culturally, we have another challenge as evidenced by this thread. We simply cannot weld people into their homes. There are more people here who believes that their own freedoms supersede the rights of others.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have always assumed that one benefit to delaying the majority of cases was that more effective treatments or a vaccine will be developed eventually.

Now, that may be many months, but the odds of one or both increases each passing week.

The whole "flattening the curve to prevent an overwhelming our hospitals" thing seems beneficial too. Should reduce the fatality rate, even if it doesn't reduce the total number of cases long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I have always assumed that one benefit to delaying the majority of cases was that more effective treatments or a vaccine will be developed eventually.

Now, that may be many months, but the odds of one or both increases each passing week.

The whole "flattening the curve to prevent an overwhelming our hospitals" thing seems beneficial too. Should reduce the fatality rate, even if it doesn't reduce the total number of cases long term.
    One, you are correct. Vaccines are at least a year away. Treatments could be months.

Two, flattening the curve not only saves the lives of the patients, but also the lives of the healthcare workers. If you do not flatten the curve, you will see healthcare workers dying with much more frequency due to the increased viral load and exhaustion that they are exposed to. We have seen this all across the world. It is not just about the patients.

30 year old Belgium nurse who does crossfit dies after virus reaches the heart. https://www.ad.nl/buitenland/belgisc...zond~acc0fd05/

37 year old from Calgary describes his experience. https://calgaryherald.com/news/calga...ting-covid-19/

'People's decisions will decide whether I live or die': Calgary ER doctor urges people to stay home https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/people-s-...home-1.4872563

It is not just about the obese, diabetic, immunodeficient or old people.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 03-30-2020 at 09:05 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Do you seriously think that things will not be worse if there were no restrictions? When more people die, healthcare systems are overwhelmed, and people are paranoid about going to work, that the economy would not be worse?

The economy's bad, but it's getting unprecedented support from central banks and government. That is why we have not seen a full collapse yet. That would not happen if the situation was not so dire.
    I'm not arguing that the restrictions aren't helping, but another method would be the vulnerable self-isolated, while the rest of us continue life. Travel restrictions are good, self-isolation after travel, or when ill is also good. Shutting down half the small businesses because of the fear of getting sick is bad.

As for the "help"? Yeah, printing more money has always "helped". We wouldn't need it if the government didn't shut down the economy to begin with.

I just find it so fucking ironic that everyone here is onboard with "scientists know best!" when it comes to covid, but reducing our pollution with renewable resources and cutting down oil addictionbso our future selves have a fighting chance? Then the scientists are libtard quacks and "Greta's".

]

I actually do know you, have purchased from you several times, and have recommended over 100 people to you over the past decade. We have had several conversations. You don't know me though. Advocating that we reopen the economy at this point in time is clearly idiotic.
    I know I am a pretty chatty guy and I do appreciate you dealing with me and referring clients to me, but no, if you think all this stuff about me you absolutely do not know me. Do I think people are overreacting? Obviously I do, but you seem to always assume everything I say is either zero or a million and no where in the middle. If you can’t see that I am not sure what to say. It’s okay though because enough people seem to get what I am saying so I know I am not delirious. I think your passion is overriding you ability to read into anything I am saying with any objectivity. I know I am not going to say anything that will help that so I will just acknowledge we think differently about things, but by no means am I trying to fire insults at you and slam your livelihood based on your observations. I would hope you could extend the same courtesy to me.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I just find it so fucking ironic that everyone here is onboard with "scientists know best!" when it comes to covid, but reducing our pollution with renewable resources and cutting down oil addictionbso our future selves have a fighting chance? Then the scientists are libtard quacks and "Greta's".
    Because one is a "right now" problem, and the other is their kids' "right now" problem. Big difference.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Latest stats for C19 deaths show a 'flattening of the curves' in many countries.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Every time I pop into a hardware store or for food I know what I need and get out. It’s always the elderly who pander around browsing items like it’s a fucking flea market. They don’t care, they get their pension checks and let us working class worry about paying for the increased national debt. Their wrinkly asses are the most vulnerable and most likely to end up in ICU. My patience is running out.

My Ride
    *The First*

I'm not arguing that the restrictions aren't helping, but another method would be the vulnerable self-isolated, while the rest of us continue life...
    They can't. They are cared for by "us". That old folks home in Mackenzie Town is so completely fucked and if it didn't come in there from a worker, a family member brought it in. Brought it in from outside.
    I think DeeBot said they have 35 suspected and confirmed cases plus 5 staff in there as of today. It's a disaster.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

A silver lining to all this is that Flu deaths and traffic death should both be down significantly

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Latest stats for C19 deaths show a 'flattening of the curves' in many countries.

China's done a wonderful job if you believe their statistics. How did they accomplish that? By welding people into their homes, imprisoning people who are out without authorization, and fining people who wander out without a face mask. Is that what you are advocating?
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 03-30-2020 at 09:52 PM.

Page 188 of 985 FirstFirst ... 178 187 188 189 198 ... LastLast