Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 637 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 637 of 681 FirstFirst ... 627 636 637 638 647 ... LastLast
Results 12,721 to 12,740 of 13620

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

  1. #12721
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    967
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BC, Sask, Ont and Quebec are facing some steep increases in cases...

    Alberta's are falling?

    This province is not really a compliant populous... WTF is going on?
    Ontario waited until Christmas to further shut things down. Quebec seems to just not give a fuck the whole pandemic. So that'd be my guess. It's almost like AB restrictions are helping a lot.

    Curious how much the new variants will affect spread here. Ireland went from 400 cases per day to 6000+ cases per day after one month. That's a massive increase.

    Quote Originally Posted by gretz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Less people getting tested, that’s the reason our numbers aren’t going up. In my opinion, this whole thing is a bag of smashed assholes... kids can go to school because the risk of them dying is not as great... just like anyone under 50, but we can’t use the age stat for those that aren’t kids for some reason.
    Our positivity rate has dropped ... its not just a decrease in tests.
    Nolan

  2. #12722
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    GMC Exotics
    Posts
    966
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I'm still very surprised at the amount of people who think that we can just ignore the disease away. We have almost 7000 fewer active cases today in Alberta than we did a month ago, which happens to be roughly the time the latest restrictions came into effect. At the time we were averaging 490 new cases per day. Since then we've averaged -230 new cases per day.

    Yeah, fewer people are getting tested, but they also changed the recommendations on who gets tested. It used to be that anyone could get tested. Now you have to be symptomatic, close to someone who is a confirmed case or are required to for travel. Fewer tests might be because people are limiting their exposure, and avoiding situations that might lead to them needing to be tested.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  3. #12723
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm still very surprised at the amount of people who think that we can just ignore the disease away...
    I agree.
    I'm trading in ignoring for concentrated prayer.

  4. #12724
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    calgary, alberta, canada
    My Ride
    Lezbox
    Posts
    5,514
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Never thought I’d see the day, but reddit calgary are turning their back on the lockdown.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

  5. #12725
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,445
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never thought I’d see the day, but reddit calgary are turning their back on the lockdown.
    CERB is no longer around, what a coincidence.

  6. #12726
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    missy
    Posts
    1,753
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree.
    I'm trading in ignoring for concentrated prayer.
    It never going away, how can it? The vaccine doesn’t prevent it, there is no stopping it. We might as well shut the country down for a month and rid everyone of the potential of getting it... there, it’s over. But that’s crazy talk for something so volatile. Dragging this on to a never ending, never preventable, always going to be an issue is the only logical solution
    CNC Guru*

    * This is not an advertisement or porn..... but pm me lol

    Instagram: goreski_rdd

  7. #12727
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    A vehicle or two
    Posts
    4,276
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    My wife is scheduling her shot as a frontline worker. My kid and I have to wait - which I'm perfectly cool with.

    Her coworker already had hers. She told my wife that the lady immunizing her didn't yet have the shot herself. Figure that logic out. If I'm doing that job and going to be in that close contact with most the population of Calgary, I'm gonna want that shot. Must be weird to be holding and administering the very thing that could protect you, but you can't have it yet.

    Its gonna be a long year.

  8. #12728
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,498
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gretz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It never going away, how can it? The vaccine doesn’t prevent it, there is no stopping it. We might as well shut the country down for a month and rid everyone of the potential of getting it... there, it’s over. But that’s crazy talk for something so volatile. Dragging this on to a never ending, never preventable, always going to be an issue is the only logical solution

  9. #12729
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife is scheduling her shot as a frontline worker. My kid and I have to wait - which I'm perfectly cool with.

    Her coworker already had hers. She told my wife that the lady immunizing her didn't yet have the shot herself. Figure that logic out. If I'm doing that job and going to be in that close contact with most the population of Calgary, I'm gonna want that shot. Must be weird to be holding and administering the very thing that could protect you, but you can't have it yet.

    Its gonna be a long year.
    I brought this up Wednesday, but it got buried in some other drama. I don't understand it.
    The workers poking us with needles are being exposed to hundreds and hundreds of people who may be carrying the virus. Their job is to touch and talk to hundreds of non-immunized people.
    Not only are those nurses not vaccinated, there is no timeline identified to get them vaccinated.
    @pho exs commented on my post, but I think we were miscommunicating.

  10. #12730
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    8,582
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    I don't think this is that alarming and surprising. if they gave the very first shots to the people giving the shots, then there would be many fewer for the people actually working with patents. We are still in a situation of extreme vaccine shortage, so there is rationing. There's no good way to ration vaccines during a pandemic. Every possible rationing method ends up with people who should get the shot, not being allowed to get the shot.

    Bigger deal is how fast the volume vaccinations ramps up, rather than who jumps over who in line to be one or two days early.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there is one thing I know for sure. ES has no Aspen goals

  11. #12731
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think this is that alarming and surprising. if they gave the very first shots to the people giving the shots, then there would be many fewer for the people actually working with patents. We are still in a situation of extreme vaccine shortage, so there is rationing. There's no good way to ration vaccines during a pandemic. Every possible rationing method ends up with people who should get the shot, not being allowed to get the shot.

    Bigger deal is how fast the volume vaccinations ramps up, rather than who jumps over who in line to be one or two days early.
    Agree that there will always be debate, etc.
    But I'm having trouble seeing how the most important people are not the health care workers that are literally exposed to a never ending line of people who have not been vaccinated.

  12. #12732
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    8,582
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    well, let's assume that individuals are disposable, but the health of the group is important. That's a cold way to look at things, but probably accurate from a "public health" standpoint.
    If that's true, then vaccinating those nurses giving the jab will not prevent THEM from infecting anyone else if they are already infected. It also won't protect them from getting infected for several days / weeks. It also carries a risk of side effects that could keep them away from their job if vaccinating nurses.

    So the way to vaccinate the most nurses is to NOT prioritize those giving the vaccinations. Even if this may increase the risk for those nurses in particular.

    This is the shitty part about shortages and rationing. you always increase the risk for someone when you prioritize someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there is one thing I know for sure. ES has no Aspen goals

  13. #12733
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,056
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree that there will always be debate, etc.
    But I'm having trouble seeing how the most important people are not the health care workers that are literally exposed to a never ending line of people who have not been vaccinated.
    I’m guessing the nurses treating never ending line of people getting the shots are at lower risk than the nurses who are receiving the shots who are treating the never ending line of people who are at high risk of covid?

    Besides my understanding from hinshaw is they are using all the “extra” shots at the end of the day to vaccinate the shot giving nurses so they are actually bumping the queue when the availability arises?

    It’s really a shotception
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  14. #12734
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m guessing the nurses treating never ending line of people getting the shots are at lower risk than the nurses who are receiving the shots who are treating the never ending line of people who are at high risk of covid?

    Besides my understanding from hinshaw is they are using all the “extra” shots at the end of the day to vaccinate the shot giving nurses so they are actually bumping the queue when the availability arises?
    It's theoretically the "same people" in both lines. The unvaccinated health care workers whose job is in hospitals, etc etc are still part of the greater, unwashed public.
    That sounds insane, but it's essentially true. They wear PPE all day, every day so that their exposures aren't really exposures.

    Wow... This must be what people say is a "Ninja edit".
    I haven't heard what you said about Hinshaw. The ones giving the vaccine are telling people they aren't even earmarked for a phase when they will get the vaccine.
    "We are not even on the radar and they have phases tracked out to autumn without us".

  15. #12735
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,056
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    She answered it during questions a couple days ago when accused of vaccines being “wasted at the end of the day”

    Some days there are extras and some days there aren’t.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  16. #12736
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    The other thing I don't like about this... (LoL how do you say that without it coming off as AND ANOTHER THING!!!)

    It's a bad thing if the person (or several of them) giving the vaccination actively has the virus and spreads it to those deemed most important in the first round. The cascade effect of that would be catastrophic.

  17. #12737
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.
    Posts
    1,001
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even if schools were a large source of spread, we would still keep them open.

    You are always free to keep your kid home if thatís your prerogative, but a lot of people rely on schools to be open to live their lives.
    If schools don't open my wife will kill me and I don't mean this jokingly. She will end me.

  18. #12738
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    2,249
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She answered it during questions a couple days ago when accused of vaccines being “wasted at the end of the day”

    Some days there are extras and some days there aren’t.
    Current directive is find an arm and poke don't waste it.

    Betcha the nurses administering them might be able to find their own arm?

  19. #12739
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,056
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The other thing I don't like about this... (LoL how do you say that without it coming off as AND ANOTHER THING!!!)

    It's a bad thing if the person (or several of them) giving the vaccination actively has the virus and spreads it to those deemed most important in the first round. The cascade effect of that would be catastrophic.
    Well considering it takes a couple months for the vaccine to reach full effectiveness (after a second dose) this doesn’t really seem like a solvable problem right now.

    I feel like a vaccine administration center is an easy place to ensure as many precautions are taken as possible to prevent transmission. What’s important is vaccinating people who work in situations where those precautions can’t practically be taken ( continuing care staff etc.) or where chance of infection is far greater ( actively treating confirmed cases ).

    End of the day we are massively short vaccines for the foreseeable future so we just need to make the best decisions we can as quickly as we can and don’t cripple rollout overthinking it.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  20. #12740
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    8,582
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    End of the day we are massively short vaccines for the foreseeable future so we just need to make the best decisions we can as quickly as we can and don’t cripple rollout overthinking it.
    Yep yep. There's no good way to ration vaccines. So as long as every done that's sent gets used, then we are making progress. Small tweaks to the prioritization process are probably not really worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there is one thing I know for sure. ES has no Aspen goals

Page 637 of 681 FirstFirst ... 627 636 637 638 647 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Canadian Novel

    By krazykhoja in forum Campus Chat
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 09-19-2008, 04:35 PM
  2. Good novel suggestions

    By codo in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Latest Threads: 11-15-2005, 09:36 PM
  4. hotwiring--research for a novel

    By writer in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 22
    Latest Threads: 06-12-2004, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •