Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 425 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 425 of 985 FirstFirst ... 415 424 425 426 435 ... LastLast
Results 8,481 to 8,500 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People think the only thing holding our economy back is the restrictions. Meanwhile 1 in 4 Albertans are on CERB, and can't pay their mortgage/rent, let alone go out for drinks.
    Well, that's all related. Some businesses are closed so they can't hire people back . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    I'm not in favour of child abuse but doesn't that just make you want to smack the little twerps! No??? Just me I guess.
    OK Boomer...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    People think the only thing holding our economy back is the restrictions. Meanwhile 1 in 4 Albertans are on CERB, and can't pay their mortgage/rent, let alone go out for drinks.
    What’s holding back the economy is the constant media barrage of fear mongering, making people think if they come within 6 feet of another human being the human race is going to disappear overnight.

CERB is also massively reducing the number of people willing to work, amazing what happens when you remove the incentive for people to leave their homes and contribute to society and the economy.

My buddy can’t fill his kitchen with people willing to work more than 8 hours a week ( hint because they all want to work the minimum to keep collecting CERB)
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Well, that's all related. Some businesses are closed so they can't hire people back . . .
    I know they are related, but at the same time, the economy is going to be slowww to recover. After 6 months of CERB, even people who suddenly start working full-time again won't be able to afford jack shit. Their credit cards and HELOC's will be maxed.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    I'm not in favour of child abuse but doesn't that just make you want to smack the little twerps! No??? Just me I guess.
    Could be worse... She could call me a millennial.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    What businesses are closed still?

Aside from large events / conferences / sports and companies that cater to those, most things can open if they're willing to adjust things. What else is being restricted?

Overall the demand is just not there. Restaurants aren't hiring as many people. It's not because of restrictions but because it's just not busy enough. I can bet you if they lifted restrictions and restaurants packed tables in again that they'd likely see less customers as people aren't comfortable with that right now
    Last edited by pheoxs; 09-11-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

Aside from large events / conferences / sports and companies that cater to those, most things can open if they're willing to adjust things. What else is being restricted?

Overall the demand is just not there. Restaurants aren't hiring as many not because not restrictions but because it's just not busy enough. I can bet you if they lifted restrictions and restaurants packed tables in again that they'd likely see less customers as people aren't comfortable with that right now
    Kind of a catch 22 then no? If what you say is true, then why carry on with restrictions? If people have self modified their behaviours, then the restrictions would be unnecessary, in theory.

I disagree though with your assessment. I think it would help immensely to business. I know tons of people who do not shop, or at least shop as little as possible, because they are uncomfortable wearing a mask. I include myself in this category. I won't go if I don't have to go. Nothing to do with a fear. It is just comfort plain and simple.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Kind of a catch 22 then no? If what you say is true, then why carry on with restrictions? If people have self modified their behaviours, then the restrictions would be unnecessary, in theory.

I disagree though with your assessment. I think it would help immensely to business. I know tons of people who do not shop, or at least shop as little as possible, because they are uncomfortable wearing a mask. I include myself in this category. I won't go if I don't have to go. Nothing to do with a fear. It is just comfort plain and simple.
    That kinda just sounds like a you problem though... Do you go out in winter at all? Do you go snowboarding or skiing? People seem to be fine wearing masks for winter, but now all of a sudden they can't wear one shopping? How long do you spend in a store that wearing a mask makes you not need that item anymore?

As for why the restrictions should stay ... I guarantee you if they got lifted some idiots would try to do a 10-20 person party at a pub immediately. That's not safe for everyone. Others would likely shy away even more from restaurants if they don't feel safe. So then you have restaurants with less traffic and the traffic is there is generally the people that don't respect distancing. How do you think that's going to go? Hint, look south of us.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 09-11-2020 at 02:02 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Overall the demand is just not there. Restaurants aren't hiring as many not because not restrictions but because it's just not busy enough. I can bet you if they lifted restrictions and restaurants packed tables in again that they'd likely see less customers as people aren't comfortable with that right now
    Bingo!! and with wage subsidy ending, wouldn't be surprise to see ppl being laid off again. It's really a fked up situation
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

That kinda just sounds like a you problem though... Do you go out in winter at all? Do you go snowboarding or skiing? People seem to be fine wearing masks for winter, but now all of a sudden they can't wear one shopping? How long do you spend in a store that wearing a mask makes you not need that item anymore?
    Of course it is a me issue and no, I don't tend to do anything I need to wear a face covering for. I have never liked it. I don't ski and when I am out in the cold doing work shit in the winter, I start wearing a mask and I have it ripped off in no time because it makes me nuts. I just don't like shit pressing on my nose and mouth.

Don't get me wrong... A mask will not stop me from doing something if I need to get it done, but I definitely avoid anything that is not a 100% necessity strictly because of having to wear a mask, and I am absolutely not alone. I always talk with people about this stuff (remember I own a retail business so I talk to a fuck ton of individuals on a regular basis) and I can say from my own personal assessment of the people who I speak with, half or more have modified their shopping behaviour 100% due to having to wear masks. These are not people who are disbelievers blah blah blah. Just people who absolutely do not like it. They are people who were happy to social distance all day long, but masks have altered how they spend their money.

Believe me or don't believe me. It doesn't really matter, but masks are KILLING retail traffic in anything that is not essential.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Of course it is a me issue and no, I don't tend to do anything I need to wear a face covering for. I have never liked it. I don't ski and when I am out in the cold doing work shit in the winter, I start wearing a mask and I have it ripped off in no time because it makes me nuts. I just don't like shit pressing on my nose and mouth.

Don't get me wrong... A mask will not stop me from doing something if I need to get it done, but I definitely avoid anything that is not a 100% necessity strictly because of having to wear a mask, and I am absolutely not alone. I always talk with people about this stuff (remember I own a retail business so I talk to a fuck ton of individuals on a regular basis) and I can say from my own personal assessment of the people who I speak with, half or more have modified their shopping behaviour 100% due to having to wear masks. These are not people who are disbelievers blah blah blah. Just people who absolutely do not like it. They are people who were happy to social distance all day long, but masks have altered how they spend their money.

Believe me or don't believe me. It doesn't really matter, but masks are KILLING retail traffic in anything that is not essential.
    I respect the comfort thing ... but I still disagree that masks or any government restrictions are whats killing retail. People are just spending less, between high unemployment, cerb, and general uneasiness everyone is living moreso within their means and pushing off purchases. Even if Calgary lifted its mask mandate, there's 0 chance malls are going to be flooded with people again.

People just don't have money to spend right now and when they do shop they just do it online. Online sales are at record highs right now. Higher than last Christmas. Masks won't change that convenience.

My Ride
    NC1

Just turn all the vacancies into Amazon fulfillment centers lol yea it'll be an eye sore but at least the money will flow to Lord Bezos. Most of us are trying to get to 7.2 and he's trying to get to 1Trill so yea

Businesses dying death by a thousand cuts. Good luck. 1 more lock down and who knows lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I respect the comfort thing ... but I still disagree that masks or any government restrictions are whats killing retail. People are just spending less, between high unemployment, cerb, and general uneasiness everyone is living moreso within their means and pushing off purchases. Even if Calgary lifted its mask mandate, there's 0 chance malls are going to be flooded with people again.

People just don't have money to spend right now and when they do shop they just do it online. Online sales are at record highs right now. Higher than last Christmas. Masks won't change that convenience.
    It isn't the only thing killing retail right now, but it is the kick in the nuts while already being down for sure. Online is not retail. I am talking traditional retail. Masks are affecting that 100%. Talk to any retail store operator (more importantly, the non-essential retailers) and ask them if they have seen a drop after the introduction of forced mask wearing. If you did that you will be surprised. It is a conversation I have on a regular basis with other retail brick and mortar storefronts owners and we all are pretty much on the same page. You might not see it but that doesn't make it less true.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It isn't the only thing killing retail right now, but it is the kick in the nuts while already being down for sure. Online is not retail. I am talking traditional retail. Masks are affecting that 100%. Talk to any retail store operator (more importantly, the non-essential retailers) and ask them if they have seen a drop after the introduction of forced mask wearing. If you did that you will be surprised. It is a conversation I have on a regular basis with other retail brick and mortar storefronts owners and we all are pretty much on the same page. You might not see it but that doesn't make it less true.
    Online isn't retail, but unfortunately, it's replaced retail in many cases. What the lockdown taught many people was that online is much more convenient than retail, with simple return policies that you don't even need a silly excuse to tell a clerk for retail returns. I don't think retail will recover to what it was pre-COVID even after masks are lifted.

I'm doing my part, anything I can get retail, I will still go, even if it's more inconvenient or more expensive. Clothes, sporting gear, electronics, I'm still going out to stores to pick things up. It's a huge waste of time compared to just ordering on Amazon while I'm taking a shit and getting it at my door next day.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Online isn't retail, but unfortunately, it's replaced retail in many cases. What the lockdown taught many people was that online is much more convenient than retail, with simple return policies that you don't even need a silly excuse to tell a clerk for retail returns. I don't think retail will recover to what it was pre-COVID even after masks are lifted.

I'm doing my part, anything I can get retail, I will still go, even if it's more inconvenient or more expensive. Clothes, sporting gear, electronics, I'm still going out to stores to pick things up. It's a huge waste of time compared to just ordering on Amazon while I'm taking a shit and getting it at my door next day.
    No doubt for sure this is a legit issue we are all facing. I am at least fortunate enough for the most part that people still need my service as much as they need the product, but if I was just in the business of sell chotskies, I would be scared AF!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

No doubt for sure this is a legit issue we are all facing. I am at least fortunate enough for the most part that people still need my service as much as they need the product, but if I was just in the business of sell chotskies, I would be scared AF!
    Yup. Malls are scary dead right now. It's pretty brutal.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Clothing is still needs physical retail. I have returned to malls after mask mandate. And as weather goes south, mall will get busy again. Summer months always low time for malls, just worse under COVID.

Tech goods physical presence are not good any more. Has not been for years and COVID just put in the last nail.

As for restrictions, business can open but under AHS guidelines which for some restaurants who don't care for it, still don't offer dine in. And I am eagerly waiting for a Wow Chicken opens up next few weeks in my hood.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/con...scan-1.5720402

Also surprising stats, debt lowered and Canadian are saving most in 40+ years.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-11-2020 at 02:52 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Clothing is still needs physical retail. I have returned to malls after mask mandate. And as weather goes south, mall will get busy again. Summer months always low time for malls, just worse under COVID.

Tech goods physical presence are not good any more. Has not been for years and COVID just put in the last nail.

As for restrictions, business can open but under AHS guidelines which for some restaurants who don't care for it, still don't offer dine in. And I am eagerly waiting for a Wow Chicken opens up next few weeks in my hood.

This is also a function of interest rates.

Consumption goes up with a reduction in interest rates until about 4%, then it goes down as people get scared of their retirement funds not being able to grow. So they save.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Did debt go down or did the government just give people a bunch of extra income?

We should account for people’s share of Canada’s debt as per of that ratio to see how fucked we really are.
    Last edited by killramos; 09-11-2020 at 03:07 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    We should account for people’s share of Canada’s debt as per of that ratio to see how fucked we really are.
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/foreigne...pace-1.1451294

Our debt is attractive tho....

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Too bad we don’t own it, we are just the ones on the hook to pay it back to everyone else

fact.

Page 425 of 985 FirstFirst ... 415 424 425 426 435 ... LastLast