Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 526 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 526 of 985 FirstFirst ... 516 525 526 527 536 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,520 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Nissan x2

What's interesting is that India and the USA have close to the same amount of cases, yet India has half the amount of deaths. When you factor deaths per 100k, India(9/100K) is even less than Canada (30/100k). I don't for a second believe that they all wear masks and practice proper hygiene in their overpopulated society. You'd think Covid would spread like wildfire out there. I wonder if there are other, health related, factors that play into the statistics. That or India is just not reporting Covid related deaths as liberally as the western world. At this point, if you die in Canada or the USA with Covid in your system you are labelled as a covid statistic, regardless of how you died. Hospital bed on respirator or auto accident, it's still a C19 statistic.

Attachment 95520

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was a bit of a policy failure.
    Not possible, Covid only really impacts old people. There is no benefit to managing the disease on a population level because only old people are vulnerable.

Sweden just has a lot of old people maybe?

lel

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    At this point, if you die in Canada or the USA with Covid in your system you are labelled as a covid statistic, regardless of how you died. Hospital bed on respirator or auto accident, it's still a C19 statistic.
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Don't Dead Open Inside?
    No time for proper formatting and writing conventions when you're isolating the forsaken.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Aside from locking us all in our homes what more do people propose we do?

Is this still people having sandy vaginas about restaurants?

Albertas problem is our citizens don’t gaf and are spreading this all on their own in private settings. We aren’t going to ban our way into solving that problem without setting up checkpoints around the province.

Those rapid covid tests sound pretty awesome but doesn’t sound like anyone wants to do that.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Not possible, Covid only really impacts old people. There is no benefit to managing the disease on a population level because only old people are vulnerable.

lel
    Must be the case. Perhaps a lot of auto accidents as well.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    Or you kids are the unlucky ones who end up at the filled ICU with no beds and die from something that was preventable but hey at least you kept the economy rolling!

Some of you guys are straight up cartoon villains in your lack of empathy and ethics.
    Wow, that's awesome, great post. Super constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder about you, not that you care.

Gets panties in a bunch when people say Chrysler products are cheap inside, doesn't understand why someone finds Miata/lower HP car more fun than a Trackhawk, and now this mentality about your own kids and Covid. Lots of self-entitled attitude here and I certainly hope you act different in person. Just sayin'.

Although maybe I'm just grumpy on a Sunday night ... *shrugs*
    Again, great post, I'm going to assume you're just grumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think that's a pretty small subset of the population. I'd say the vast majority are struggling to compare two bad options, one that is guaranteed to harm them economically, and the other that has some probability of harming them physically.

That's not the sort of choice that is easy for an individual to make, and it's not one that I'm in a position to judge in others.

I'm really lucky in that a lockdown, even with schools closed, wouldn't hurt my family particularly badly. That's rare.
    This exactly. Some people have a difficult time recognizing that there can be a middle ground, it's not simply two extremes and everyone needs to manage their tolerance to risk.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    ute

If I was Swedish, I would for sure move to India.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Why not just show the comparison based on population size?
    Sweden = Denmark + Finland is term of population.

So still 6x more deaths once you compared them.

Now in defense of those Swedish numbers, 96% of death are 60+ and came during 1st wave before they start adjusting. I expect the 2nd half will align much better to their neighbors as they started to subscribed to lock down as for last week (but their lock down is basically same as our phase 2)

In search of Denmark under 60 death numbers, I came across this:

Look like their school outbreak got worse in Oct.

EDIT:
    Sweden's Chief Epidemiologist conceded that herd immunity didn't prevent 2nd wave.
    https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...y-hopes-falter
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-23-2020 at 12:05 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Aside from locking us all in our homes what more do people propose we do?

Is this still people having sandy vaginas about restaurants?

Albertas problem is our citizens don’t gaf and are spreading this all on their own in private settings. We aren’t going to ban our way into solving that problem without setting up checkpoints around the province.
    Schools go to winter break 2 weeks early, try to wrap up the semester in the next 2 weeks and shift online
    Enforce restaurants to go back down in % capacity
    Enforce gyms/indoor activities as well as retail to also go back down in % capacity (not saying full close, saying limit things again). We dealt with small lineups before, we can do it again for a few weeks
    Limit weddings/funerals/church services significantly
    Increase fines for covid positive people going out
    Cut home social gatherings to 0 for 2 weeks, only family / household members. Sucks but gotta do something.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Why not just show the comparison based on population size?
    Populations:
    Sweden: 10,124,599
    Denmark: 5,800,375
    Lithuania: 2,708,127
    Finland: 5,544,159
    Norway: 5,438,355

Sweden is significantly higher, any way you slice it.

All from here: https://www.worldometers.info/world-...en-population/

My Ride
    *The First*

lel
    Stop calling them "people". It's way easier to ignore them if we use a word that helps us not identify them as human.
    Try "the elderly" or perhaps "those on Death's door". Much easier to compartmentalize and file away.
    I have a doctor's note excusing me from wearing a mask and I'm going to get one to excuse me from caring about my Gam-Gam (Gramma).

My Ride
    is faster than yours

If I was Swedish, I would for sure move to India.
    And Sweden's death rate is less than half of Belgium's rate...so just don't move to Brussels!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Schools go to winter break 2 weeks early, try to wrap up the semester in the next 2 weeks and shift online
    Enforce restaurants to go back down in % capacity
    Enforce gyms/indoor activities as well as retail to also go back down in % capacity (not saying full close, saying limit things again). We dealt with small lineups before, we can do it again for a few weeks
    Limit weddings/funerals/church services significantly
    Increase fines for covid positive people going out
    Cut home social gatherings to 0 for 2 weeks, only family / household members. Sucks but gotta do something.
    Good luck on the first one and the last two.

Propose closing schools and going back online and watch the outrage begin. The people who are all for more restrictions and saying "make sacrifices, we're all in this together" will change their tune pretty quick once their kids are home.

How many people who have a legal obligation to quarantine haven been running around, or is this just your reaction to a single case showing up in the news?

Last one would need neighbors to watch each other's homes and rat each other out. Good luck with that, especially since they'll have to keep living near each other once this is over.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post

Propose closing schools and going back online and watch the outrage begin. The people who are all for more restrictions and saying "make sacrifices, we're all in this together" will change their tune pretty quick once their kids are home.

How many people who have a legal obligation to quarantine haven been running around, or is this just your reaction to a single case showing up in the news?

Last one would need neighbors to watch each other's homes and rat each other out. Good luck with that, especially since they'll have to keep living near each other once this is over.
    Anecdotally I've had friends with co-workers that got sick and refused to get tested, I'm fairly sure it's more than one case in the news but hard to know how wide spread things are. Never the less if you start seeing articles of thousand dollar fines being doled out people will consider the consequences more so.

I don't think that stuff will happen but thats what I hope will.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It definitely seems to me than most pie in the sky lockdown ideas are pretty impossible to actually implement.

But yea wtf is Jason Kenney thinking
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There's four parts.
    1) what CAN the provincial government actually do
    2) what does the public want
    3) what can the provincial government actually enforce
    4) what should the provincial government do according to best information and science.

Those are listed in order of importance in a politicians mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Anecdotally I've had friends with co-workers that got sick and refused to get tested, I'm fairly sure it's more than one case in the news but hard to know how wide spread things are. Never the less if you start seeing articles of thousand dollar fines being doled out people will consider the consequences more so.

I don't think that stuff will happen but thats what I hope will.
    The fine is already $1,000 for not following a public health order, so you're looking for more enforcement? There's something like 12,000 active cases in Alberta right now, keeping some kind of stringent tabs on all those people would be a logistical nightmare. The resources don't exist to visit their home multiple times a day to make sure they are there or call them multiple times a day to see if they answer.

And don't even propose electronic monitoring. These people have not committed a crime by getting a positive test and if you want fewer people to go get tested if they have symptoms, that's a sure way of doing it
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post

Epidemiologists see school closures as a way to keep people home from work and reduce transmission that results from workplaces, lunch places, commutes, work meetings, etc.

If your calculus is economy over old people, then keepings schools open should be a priority. Keeping schools open is one area where both sides should agree.

But people don't think that way, rather they look at schools staying open as some sort of grand hypocrisy by parents who don't want THEIR lives impacted. Not the case.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Man, as a small business owner myself who went though wondering if we were going to survive or not early on in this entire covid nightmare, I totally feel for you. It threw me into a pretty deep depression and I had a tough time pulling myself back but fortunately I did for the most part. If you ever find it overwhelming, please make sure you reach out! Having an ear to bend can really make all the difference in the world, and those in our Beyond community really do step up and support each other. I found it an invaluable source of e-hugs! Not a bad group for a bunch of assholes! haha!
    Yup. Reach out and let's talk about it.

Also, life expectancy men 80, women 84. Average age of Covid deaths 82 .... Idk .... Just lock the old ppl up so the rest of us can carry on.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 526 of 985 FirstFirst ... 516 525 526 527 536 ... LastLast