Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 47 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 47 of 985 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    ute

I'm thinking TDSers infecting every thread is worse than Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been sneezing at fishes up stream.
    Bravo!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    Apparently it has likely been spreading in the wild in Seattle for about 6 weeks, according to a genetic analysis of the known infected patients. Government is claiming 6 known cases, but it’s obviously way higher. The one nursing home with confirmed infections had over 50 people showing symptoms, but test results aren’t back yet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/trvrb/sta...70271318503426

First person died yesterday, with no known contact with existing infections or travelers.

In other news, Trump is a reckless moron and claimed it’s a hoax by the democrats. As if his base needed another reason to make stupid decisions.
    To be fair, the hoax comment was directed at the democrats vilifying Trump for potential handling of the outbreak when nothing much has happened yet because he cut funding to areas that might affect the response.

End of the day, it all depends on the narrative you’re listening to. Dems are spinning it as trump calling corona a hoax even tho he did a press conference about the US response. The bullshit narrative goes both ways.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

For anyone travelling out of Canada in the next few months, it would be a good idea to check your travel insurance. I know someone that checked and their policy coverage and it excluded pandemic/epidemic coverage if they were to be hospitalized and they made it sound like many of them do. Definitely something to check on if you'll be travelling to or near an area with an outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    You people are hilarious.

The Americans probably have the best infectious disease surveillance program in the world. Once the serological test is up and running the highest quality data will be coming out of the CDC.
    And yet they had a major surveillance failure, largely policy driven, exacerbated by a testing bottleneck.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...244580864.html

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
    For anyone travelling out of Canada in the next few months, it would be a good idea to check your travel insurance. I know someone that checked and their policy coverage and it excluded pandemic/epidemic coverage if they were to be hospitalized and they made it sound like many of them do. Definitely something to check on if you'll be travelling to or near an area with an outbreak.
    Better check my work health benefits. I think those are the primary travel heath insurance for me and most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    And yet they had a major surveillance failure, largely policy driven, exacerbated by a testing bottleneck.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...244580864.html
    1. We don't have all of the facts on what happened there.
    2. As I mentioned, the surveillance systems are just getting up to speed, but certainly are not there yet
    3. Any surveillance systems are fallible. I said "best", not "perfect". Other countries also have excellent systems.
    4. Your quoted source is clearly partisan. The actual post is comical, referring back to George W. Bush, lol.

You can do better.

1. We don't have all of the facts on what happened there.
    2. As I mentioned, the surveillance systems are just getting up to speed, but certainly are not there yet
    3. Any surveillance systems are fallible. I said "best", not "perfect". Other countries also have excellent systems.
    4. Your quoted source is clearly partisan. The actual post is comical, referring back to George W. Bush, lol.

You can do better.
    1. We don't need all the facts to know there was a surveillance failure
    2. The reason they haven't been able to get up to speed is the reason there was a failure
    3. Wasn't a good time to be dismissing people's criticisms of the failure by calling it the best (just can't handle people being critical of Trump, eh?)
    4. Yeah, examples of White House policy and direction affecting data and response are totally partisan and therefore should discredit everything

Instead of saying 'they have the best system' the question is 'why did the best surveillance system fail at surveillance?'

So far step one is that their tests are bad so they couldn't actually do surveillance. How is that a good surveillance system much lest "the best"? EDIT: as for the data, it’s quality will already be affected by not having a proper starting point of collection, because the system already failed due to inadequate testing.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 03-01-2020 at 05:31 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Seems to me like Singapore, Israel, and Taiwan have better systems.

WHO has tests that cost $5, but US insisted on developing their own, which turned out to be faulty, and costs the user $1500-$3500.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    ute

1. We don't need all the facts to know there was a surveillance failure
    2. The reason they haven't been able to get up to speed is the reason there was a failure
    3. Wasn't a good time to be dismissing people's criticisms of the failure by calling it the best (just can't handle people being critical of Trump, eh?)
    4. Yeah, examples of White House policy and direction affecting data and response are totally partisan and therefore should discredit everything

Instead of saying 'they have the best system' the question is 'why did the best surveillance system fail at surveillance?'

So far step one is that their tests are bad so they couldn't actually do surveillance. How is that a good surveillance system much lest "the best"? EDIT: as for the data, it’s quality will already be affected by not having a proper starting point of collection, because the system already failed due to inadequate testing.
    I'm open to a debate about where the US sits on "best" vs "someone else is better". If you prefer I said "one of the best", I can amend appropriately.

We simply don't have all of the facts. You're jumping to conclusions - posting partisan hacks as sources doesn't help anything. It's obviously how it goes in a highly politicized environment like we have here, but that doesn't mean you need to fall for it. But you do you.

And yes, I think it's comical how TDSers behave with respect to, well, anything and I sure as shit will dismiss their criticisms if they are clearly goal seeking that conclusion.

I'm open to a debate about where the US sits on "best" vs "someone else is better". If you prefer I said "one of the best", I can amend appropriately.
    I'd say it's completely irrelevant given the context. Being the best doesn't mean they messed up any less, and doesn't change the fact their tests are bad, doesn't change the fact the FDA has been dragging it's feet to allow tests that are good, and it doesn't matter if they'll eventually have great data because it's missing the crucial baseline due to lack of data. Doesn't change the fact that the messages from the top have been comical.

They're one of the best, the best, so fucking what? They failed. That's the point. If people hadn't mentioned Trump would you have gone on about how it's the best with nothing to back it up?

We simply don't have all of the facts. You're jumping to conclusions - posting partisan hacks as sources doesn't help anything.
    What could a pandemic and response expert offer to the discussion about a fuckup that's the reason we don't have all the facts? Silly me.

My Ride
    ute

I'd say it's completely irrelevant given the context. Being the best doesn't mean they messed up any less, and doesn't change the fact their tests are bad, doesn't change the fact the FDA has been dragging it's feet to allow tests that are good, and it doesn't matter if they'll eventually have great data because it's missing the crucial baseline due to lack of data. Doesn't change the fact that the messages from the top have been comical.

They're one of the best, the best, so fucking what? They failed. That's the point. If people hadn't mentioned Trump would you have gone on about how it's the best with nothing to back it up?

What could a pandemic and response expert offer to the discussion about a fuckup that's the reason we don't have all the facts? Silly me.
    Silly you indeed.

He's a partisan hack...just deal with the fact that you posted the equivalent of a press release without actually checking who the guy was first.

This is a much bigger concern that will take years to unpack the response and go through some analysis. You people are flying off half cocked and TDSing big time. I don't care much about the messages from the top, on either side of the political spectrum. They are all going to play immature games, and the bureaucrats and the rest of the health system will be doing the heavy lifting. I'm interested in observing that. Maybe adulting is hard for people, even when it's an issue this serious.

My Ride
    Model S

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    To be fair, the hoax comment was directed at the democrats vilifying Trump for potential handling of the outbreak when nothing much has happened yet because he cut funding to areas that might affect the response.

End of the day, it all depends on the narrative you’re listening to. Dems are spinning it as trump calling corona a hoax even tho he did a press conference about the US response. The bullshit narrative goes both ways.
    Yeah I actually didn’t see the context and fell for it that time, shame on me. It was horribly mishandled ever since the plane of infectees were evacuated by untrained, unprotected staff, but it’s not clear whose fault it is, and it doesn’t matter anymore. Surprise surprise, one of the “community infections” is in the county where the passengers were handled and quarantined.

The response in the US has been a complete failure and absolutely laughable. Its so ridiculously bad, I'm almost starting to think they're stalling with the testing in an attempt to prop up the markets further

Silly you indeed.

He's a partisan hack...just deal with the fact that you posted the equivalent of a press release without actually checking who the guy was first.
    A guy who worked in the very system you call led the best. During a pandemic, no less.

A guy who got to see the FDA go through multiple Emergency Use Authorizations for Ebola testing while we were waiting for the same for Covid-19 knowing that tests are already faulty. But yeah, just being partisan.

This is a much bigger concern that will take years to unpack the response and go through some analysis. You people are flying off half cocked and TDSing big time. I don't care much about the messages from the top, on either side of the political spectrum. They are all going to play immature games, and the bureaucrats and the rest of the health system will be doing the heavy lifting. I'm interested in observing that. Maybe adulting is hard for people, even when it's an issue this serious.
    The messages from the top matter since they direct the agencies actually handling it. Emergency response is literally based on a message from the top enabling bureaucrats and the health system to start doing the heavy lifting.

If you think the top is playing immature games, that fucking matters in a situation like this. They’re the ones making decisions and required to direct resources to the response plan. If the message from the top is unclear (or simply not coming) then it handicaps what the people who should be in charge of the situation can do.

My Ride
    ute

No need for the foul language, sir!

And yes your"expert" is just some BA (does it matter in what?), who floated around ngo world until the Obama administration made him some apparatchik.

And his entire post is overtly partisan. He compares this situation to bush in Iraq. Lol
    Last edited by Buster; 03-01-2020 at 08:45 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

No need for the foul language, sir!

And yes your"expert" is just some BA (does it matter in what?), who floated around ngo world until the Obama administration made him some apparatchik.
    The NGO world like the WHO crafting pandemic response policy?

Yup, totally not relevant experience about this kind of thing.

He was part of the system that oversaw the Ebola pandemic. You can’t pump up the effectiveness of the system while also belittling the people who played large roles in implementing it.

And his entire post is overtly partisan. He compares this situation to bush in Iraq. Lol
    Oh no!

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I care more about 89coupe's respirator of choice than politics.

Myself? I am going with the 3M Ultimate FX full face respirator because that is clearly what a man of distinction wears.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    ute

The NGO world like the WHO crafting pandemic response policy?

Yup, totally not relevant experience about this kind of thing.

He was part of the system that oversaw the Ebola pandemic. You can’t pump up the effectiveness of the system while also belittling the people who played large roles in implementing it.
    I'm perfectly comfortable giving credit where it's due. Not to some BA political flack that was and is a partisan. These organizations are filled with these people who pretend they are contributing.

You're the type of guy that would read a ford press release and think that they actually are the safest cars on the road.

Page 47 of 985 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast